Mental Health Forums

Why does seeing characters who look and act like me make me feel happy?

loverofcreation

Wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this is OK. 

I don't get attached to characters well. Heck, even my own characters I don't feel any solid connection to. But over the years I notice a trend with the characters I became very attached to and those were characters who look and act like me.

I'm kind of weird looking. I have very round, brown eyes, black, spiky hair, very pale white skin, and glasses. My face is both small and round, and I have a petite body. 

It doesn't matter if the character is live action or cartoon. It's also a bonus if they act similar to me and had some kind of abuse during their childhood and don't mind that they're nerds and the show portrays them in a leading and positive manner.

Sometimes I'll get addicted to a show for that reason, and it makes my stress levels drop a lot.

21 hours ago, loverofcreation said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this is OK. 

I don't get attached to characters well. Heck, even my own characters I don't feel any solid connection to. But over the years I notice a trend with the characters I became very attached to and those were characters who look and act like me.

I'm kind of weird looking. I have very round, brown eyes, black, spiky hair, very pale white skin, and glasses. My face is both small and round, and I have a petite body. 

It doesn't matter if the character is live action or cartoon. It's also a bonus if they act similar to me and had some kind of abuse during their childhood and don't mind that they're nerds and the show portrays them in a leading and positive manner.

Sometimes I'll get addicted to a show for that reason, and it makes my stress levels drop a lot.

Hi loverofcreation!

It's not that uncommon to hear of this. As a species, we naturally tend to feel more attached to people who look like us. It wouldn't be out of place for this to happen for TV characters as well.

The note about abuse during childhood is interesting. Did you happen to experience this earlier in your lifetime? If so, then it may act as a comfort - seeing characters that are similar to you in a good spot may act as a goal that you are able to achieve. This would also explain why you get attached to the corresponding shows - being able to constantly see this image keeps that goal in sight. The important thing to note is that you need to work hard and put in a lot of effort so that you are able to be happy like them!

Media in general tends to make our stress levels drop. The phenomenon of escapism - leaving the pain of reality by temporarily indulging in a make-believe world - allows us to be distracted from the difficulties of every day life. However, it does not tackle the stressor - you need to identify what is causing you stress, and address it in an appropriate manner!

Much love <3

Archived