Mental Health Forums

Olanzapine And Cipralex

Bunny

Hi everyone

Has anyone tried either olanzapine or cipralex before? Just curious of others experiences. I am very peeved though :angry: that the olanzapine (well and me) have resulted in a stone weight gain in less than 2 weeks :( and I am thinking of changing it but it seems to be working welll although my dose may need to be changed. I am not sure if its the best thing to change it im not sure. Hope things are going well with you

bex

:)

Hi bunny,

I think that one of the worst side effects of olanzapine is weight gain, and I remember when I took it it made me ravenous all the time. Maybe its worth talking to your doc about your concerns? Its a shame as it was prob one of the best meds i had been on.

I hope you get it sorted out soon

Lou

I was on both, though not at the same time. I was on Olanzapine for about a year or so. As Lou also said I found the weight gain to be the worst side effect but also lost my concentration a fair bit. I switched to Risperdal which was a bit better but as far as I know most anti-psychotics have the nasty side effect of making you gain weight. I should add though that since being off it (which is a year now) I've lost all the weight I gained when I was on it, which is good. Cipralex was a weird one with me since it induced a manic episode in me. My doc caught on pretty quick though and took me off it and changed to Mirtazapine instead.

But as Lou says, best thing to do is talk it over with your doc. Everyone reacts differently to meds and there's always different ones you can try.

Ulrica

ive was put on olanzapine once and i also put on a stone in just over a week i have a big issue with my weight anyways so took myself off it (not recommended) but saying that it did help me in that short time and helped me to bring myself out of the crisis i was in i would have stayed on it but couldnt cope with the weight gain.

as the others have said speak to the doc bout ur concerns and worries bout it dont do what i did and stop takin it first.

I am not sure what it is in stones and pounds (we are metric here) but olanzapine made me gain about 20kg in a little over 2 months. However it was a gret drug at controlling my hallucinations and delusions. I was taken off it anyway due to the weight gain. The doctors to begin with thought the weight gain was a good thing considering I had lost so much weight in hospital but it just got worse and being rapid as it was, they thought it dangerous in the end.

Im on olanzapine at the moment been on it for about 6 wks now n I seem to realise I can't stop eating rubbish food but I can't stop myself. Im only on 5mg but they wanna up it to 10mg I am worried if it works out I gain twice as much weight but like wat tripper said the pyschosis has been calmed dramatically since i've been on it. and I sleep ever so well. x

Archived