Mental Health Forums

What Are You Ocd About?

tiellover

I am a compulsive washer- clothes, hands, surfaces, door nobs, etc.

I am also a neat freak. I like things clean and organized.

I think my perfectionism also comes into play here.

What about you?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all labels in my kitchen cupboards fridge and freezer have to be pointing the right way, any cans with ring pulls have to be pointing the right way, i like odd numbers, not even, i have odd numbers in food ect, i always put my left size in clothes first, like socks shoes ect. i always step with my left foot first in or out a room, or up/down the stairs...

i have loads of little one's that i have to do, although as yet it doesn't really affect my life too much...

I like to keep my room very neat and tidy. Not enough to be OCD, but I do like stuff just my way. Nothing else major. My life just needs to be kept clean and orderly as much as possible & organized so that my head feels more organized...:)

Everything needs to be organized and I am checker, check the gass etc

Are these compulsions feecting your daily life, is it hard to function because of it, if so do you have help with it??

Lilly

Lilly,

For me? No, I'm ok now. It used to take up soooo much of my time. I was rediculous about it, but obviously couldn't help it, and didn't realize it was rediculous at the time. Now it's pretty much under control and everyone knows that's just how I am. A germaphobe and clean freak...

Thanks though! :)

Mine is a silly one really, Im obssessive about my asthma inhaler, I take it all the time out of fear that if I dont I will have an asthma attack- sill really.

Housecleaning. I mop floors atleast twice a week, sweep daily, usually more then once. I can't stand laundry to be in sight, dirty. A dish left in the sink bothers me. At the same time tho, I hate doing it period. But if I don't then I'm never settled and I pretty much do it constantly, so maybe I'm never settled. :wacko:

Mine at one point was washing I would get in the shower at least 6 times a day and always had to do things in threes. Like if I was washing my hair I couldnt lather and rinse once I had to do it three times.

At the moment though its housework, I am compulsivly tidy. I cant go to bed or relax if my room is a mess it has to be tidy.

sunshinex

I am obsessed with people tummies, whatever i am doing and wherever i go. When watching telly i look at their tummies when out in town i look to see how thin people are, in magazines, drawn straight to them, on the internet i cut and paste them into word, its stupid. Also checking things, did i turn my straughteners off, the switches off, is everything right before i go out takes me ages to leave the house

chealsea

Mine is a silly one really, Im obssessive about my asthma inhaler, I take it all the time out of fear that if I dont I will have an asthma attack- sill really.

Lou,... my nurse tells me to take it everywhere with me, but my asthma is pretty mild most of them time.

• 1 month later...

Neatness, my bedroom is the only place that is just mine as I live with my parents, so it has to be perfect, all my DVD's and Cd's and videos are in alphabetical order, I have a trainer obesession, I have 9 pairs of Nike trainers, they are all lined up in my room, and they can't hang over the egde of the shoe rack they're on, I have posters on my wall but they have to be level, I have to do all my washing the same day, I can't have any dirty washing in the laundry basket when I go to bed, and I have obesessions with TV characters, two in particular, I have to tape every episode of a programme that they're in, even if they're on a chat show I record it and keep it, I also have masses of photos of them on my PC. My hair has to be neat, to the extent where I cannot let it grow, I have to be able to have it so the wind can't blow it around or make it untidy, I have now shaved my head as I couldn't afford to go to the hairdressers to get it done, and lastly cannot stand human contact, I am obsessive about people not touching me, think that's about it, lol

Recently I've always been checking if I've left anything behind, asking people too whether they see something I can't see. Checking if I have my keys with me...

Though OCD is generally when you feel something will go wrong if you don't do it, I just have a wacky habit at the moment I think. I don't think that if I don't check that something bad will happen or anything.

losing keys

the bins falling over

dripping taps

tiolet roll having the paper roll off the rop of the roll

tiolet seat being down

running out of coffee

so many other silly things that nobody sees as important, yet i obsess away :)

• 2 weeks later...

I compulsively crack my knuckles and count ..I am OCD about checking my bank account, checking to see if the door is locked.. look in mirror to check for pimples, and a bunch of more things that I can"t think of off hand right now.

I am a compulsive washer- clothes, hands, surfaces, door nobs, etc.

I am also a neat freak. I like things clean and organized.

I think my perfectionism also comes into play here.

What about you?

My key word is organization, i actually have lists to remind me to check my lists!! I have a massive ocd about time!! everything i do has to be timed, i am on a time schedual at all times!!! even picking the kids up at school i have to leave at the same time, park in the same spot, arrive home at the same time, start making tea at 4.25 put it on the plate at 5.10 and if its cooked before 5.10 i have to put it in the oven cos theres no way i could put it out before 5.10! I have to spend exactly 30 min in town and have to arrive home at exactly 9.30am, its mad, no ones told me i have got to i just have to do it, even my dogs know they must be walked at 1.05pm no later or no sooner!!! i would love to be derestricted by my schedual its just I CARNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I was just wondering how common ocd is? and at what point does it become a disorder! I am an electrician and get told quite often how neat my work is, I cant rest unless its perfect! this in turn gives me a good reputation and gets me more work which is a good thing, also I have to check I have locked the back door before I go out at least 3 times even though I know I have just checked it, does this mean I have mild ocd?

I am ocd about my new laptop..I clean every spec and if it gets dirty I cannot do anything until i clean it..constant obsessive worry

My biggest and most obvious ocpd trait is my books.

They are perfectly organised. But not in any way that anyone would regonise. They are not alphabetical, or size ordered, or by category, they are ordered my way.

When it comes to other people and my books i can't have it.

I have just managed to come to terms with people taking the books off the shelves. But they CANNOT put them back. Even if the book is put back in exactly the same place as where they took it from, it is not right. And it will not be right in this instance until i have taken every book off the shelf (ANd there are a hell of a lot of books crammed into each shelf) dusted them and put them all back on. If i put the book back, all is fine.

I used to be OCD about washing and have to shower like 6 times a day and things had to be done in threes

Now the only thing I am slightly obesessional about is how clean and tidy my home is but I kinda think thats a good thing.

sunshinex

oh almost forgot my books, vidoes and cds have to be in alphabetical order and the order they were released in lol

i guess i am a little ocd about my daughter - i guess most people with kids are - but i am over the top at time.

i wrap her in cotton wool, but she got to big for the roll now :P

but on a serious note i gotta let her fly i guess - not to far tho!

i guess i am a little ocd about my daughter - i guess most people with kids are - but i am over the top at time.

i wrap her in cotton wool, but she got to big for the roll now :P

but on a serious note i gotta let her fly i guess - not to far tho!

thats sweet I guess I am like that with my little brother I raised him from 3 now hes 15 but I would wrap him up in cotton wool and put him in a protective bubble if I could. lol

Archived