Mental Health Forums

What Do You Get Obsessive About?

bumblepipi

Oh my! I was reading the replies here about obsessions and realized I have many things to confess to. :( Of course I wouldn't tell anyone else this. They'd think I was crazy or somethin'. heeheehee :wacko:

I count everything and it must end in an EVEN number - the number of times I rub my hands together when washing them, how many pumps of lotion I use, how many crackers I put in my soup, how many swallows of water from my water bottle, etc. I've done this for so long I don't even remember when it started.

* If I walk somewhere, then I have to return exactly the same way or it just feels WRONG!

* My house has to be clean, clean, clean or I can't sleep or leave to go out.

* Everything has to be folded a certain way whether it's my bath towels or a piece of notepaper with a phone number - exactly even, exactly.

* My clothes have to be spotless and if I spill something on what I'm wearing, I have to go home and change or I'll totally lose it.

* Clothing, socks and shoes have to be put on left to right.

* If volume controls are digital, like the car radio or TV, then it must be set on an even number.

* All of my paper money has to be in numerical order, facing up and all the same way or I can't put it in my wallet or pocket.

* I have to wear some sort of cross jewelry every where I go, pendant, earrings, etc. or I feel like something bad will happen to me.

I think that's enough OCD for one evening. Thanks for listening........

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I didnt think i had OCD def not been dx with it but my daughter keeps saying mum i think u got it, so i did an online survey said i could have it.

I dont think its severe enough to get help but i do read emails and letters over and over again, i even keep checking on here my posts - even tho i know what they say i have to keep going over them :blink:

I listen to a same song over and over again so many times a day, i do check doors all the time....but nothing major.

when i was a runner ....before races i always had to do the same routines....apparently alot of sports people have ocd

I count things continuosly......probably why im good in accounts LOL

bloody men :wacko:

Yep me too  :(

same >_<

Come on you lot, we aint all the same, stop being sexist. :wacko:

anyhow,  

The number 23 got me a nice long stay in the nut house a few years back

I can not have the tv volume on an odd number

And I have to put my hand over my mouth if walking up tiled stairs for the fear of sliping and smashing my teeth

bloody men :wacko:

Yep me too :(

same >_<

Me too BUT with women :blink:...

Doors, Windows, Forks, Cups, Knifes, Plates, My phone, Keys ect ect ect :blink::wacko:, I am not weird am I :unsure: haha...

I guess you could say I am obsessive about times of arrangements, have to have a time, I have lost all structure since stopping full time work, so any arrangements that I have has to be time specific, like *what time, what time, need a time*.

I clock watch.

I guess you could say I am obsessive about times of arrangements, have to have a time, I have lost all structure since stopping full time work, so any arrangements that I have has to be time specific, like *what time, what time, need a time*.

I clock watch.

times bother me too- always clock watching, i always have to be early too for appointments cos i would freak out if i were late....not sure thats ocd tho

The number 23 got me a nice long stay in the nut house a few years back

How's that? I don't quite have this quoting thing down. 23 is my favorite number. I also loved the movie. I generally prefer odd numbers, but only have it with radio volume, not tv. My unlucky number is 333, or any mopre 3's at the end of it. It really makes me uncomfortable writing the numbers lol

the 5th of june is my unlucky day.

the no. 23

the no 666

closing up the house before i go asleep if alone, and making sure everythings off- bet this is a common one tho.

excersise

how many pills(valium/xanax) i have-(so i dont run out)

my weight.

but i dont think i have ocd...xxx b.k

My stuff keeps changing. But I was first dx'd at age 17, I'll be 55 (gag!) in March, so I guess over such a long time I gotta change just to keep things interesting! :lol:

I've done checking (some, not that much), counting, praying, washing (prolly my main thing now), scrupulosity, mental obsessing over anything and everything (is that what people call "Pure O"???), compulsive skin picking...and the list goes on.

The washing thing is probably the worst for me--and the most consistent problem. My hands crack and bleed from all the washing, and since age 21 :angry: I have had serious gum problems from obsessive tooth-brushing. Like it's not enough for the damn OCD to be a mental disorder--with me it has to leave lasting physical problems too, which have dumped my self-esteem right into the toilet. I don't even want to leave the house, I'm so ashamed of how I look.

But the oddest thing is, in spite of the washing compulsions, I HATE taking baths/showering!!! I avoid it as long as possible! (Yes, I am blushing!) But I think I dread bathing/showering because it all turns into this huge overwhelming task that I totally dread....*sigh*

I also worry about contamination. Not so much about me, but I'm afraid I'll get something on me that I will then transfer to my cat and she will then get sick.

Oh yes, and I've also had problems with hoarding.

OCD SUCKS!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a huge issue with time, I absolutely hate being late for anything and will consistently clock watch - when I was at college I used to have to get the 7:45 bus, though because I was so conviced I wouldn't be ready in time to catch the bus (even though in reality I know it doesn't take me that long to get ready) I used to get up at 5:00 each morning. I was totally drained at the end of each day.

I also have to have things symmetrical and things have to be left in exactly the same place as where i've put them, if anyone moves things in my room etc or something that i've arranged/placed around the house, then all hell can break loose.

It's weird, I don't care about the sheet on my bed and whether it's crinkled/creased, but my actual duvet has to be completely straight with no crinkles/creases, I get really wound up/anxious/agitated/angry if other people sit on my bed and mess up my duvet in someway.

Also cd's, dvd's book, magazines, pictures, towels etc they all have to be straight and in alignment, I can't settle if they are crooked or out of alignment.

It's funny, well no actually it's not, but reading everything i've put above makes me chuckle in a way, because it seems such stupid stuff, but on the other hand these are all totally serious things that I do everyday of my life, that are constantly on my mind and if I don't carry out these things, then it can have a big effect on me.

Obsessions are very strange.

Am not diagnosed by obsessive things, but once I get something on my mind I find it difficult to let go, and while people want to help at first, soon I bore them silly.

As I have posted on these boards before I am currently reducing slowly, my daily diazepam dose, and a symptom of that is obsessive thinking.

• 1 month later...

Washing on the line has to be in size order and if i see one is in the wrong place i have to change it quick.

I have to have 2 of everything on display and 1 centre piece has to be even

I love odd numbers 3 and 5 being my favourite

i get obsessed about spending even when i dont really have the money too

my boys must have clothes that are colour co-ordinated infact everything has to be

All doors must be shut of a night time

All shampoo and toiletries must be the right way with the front lable facing it annoys me when ppl turn them the wrong way round lol

the joker is a huge obsession for me, i can recite the entire dialogue from the dark knight and i have to read every graphic novel with the joker in it, i paint him a lot too, after the film came out i couldn't stop doing that lip licking thing and talking like the charcter for ages

i do a lot of the more well-known ocd things too, repeatedly wash, check doors are locked and the cooker is off, worry incessentaly that ive upset people and said the wrong thing, go over and over worries in my head, chant random things in my head or out loud etc.

I get obsesssed with computer games - especially the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. Cant get enough of exploring them post apocalyptic wastelands...

I think quite often things that are trivial make perfect targets for all that inner angst and need for a sense of some sort of control over our lives. After all most of us tend to feel pretty powerless day to day, so if we can have control over some little part of life, it satisfies something inside perhaps.

Ross

• 4 weeks later...

when i do tidy up everything on my coffie table has to be square and lined up neatly.

weirdest one is eating take sunday dinner everything has to be eaten in a specific order like i always eat the peas first i mean i have to lift things up with the fork to make sure i found them all (little bligters tend to roll).then the carrots then brocolli-roast then meat if pork the crackling allways has to be last.

I'm obsessive about certain people. I pick one person and thats it. I'll message that one person all the time. I'll think about that one person all the time i'll stare at there photo all the time. The last person for me being obsessive over was my ex therapist. I thought i would die if i couldn't be with the person i was obsessing over

Archived