Mental Health Forums

Straw Poll - Brothers And Sisters

hummm_mabbe

Which are you?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Are you oldest, middle or youngest?

Hi

I was just wondering if there is any correlation, at least in part, between MH issues and where in the family order people come.

So which are you? Would be interested to see if there is a pattern

Please vote :)

Ross

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wordsmithy

• hummm_mabbe

• sarabpd

• sarey92

i have middle child syndrome, or so my parents told me for years. turned out i was actually mental!!

:)

This could be really interesting mabbe

Ruthie

x

PS. My crush on you has passed-you are safe from a scary BPD woman :) Still a good bit of eye candy though ^_^

youngest but my vote not be valid tho, as my big sis has learning disabilities, which led to me been invalidated as she hated me getting attention

I wish I was an only child.

I have a step brother, a half brother, (who I haven't seen in years) & I have an elder sister.

I guess I'm the middle child if I include my half brother, but the youngest of my mother's kids.

i'm youngest and had/have a very bad relationship with my older brother. safe to say we just about tolerate each other these days.

interesting but not surprising to see the majority are youngest...

I'm the youngest, the scapegoat, the accident, the number 2 child, the charity case, the mental one, the failure of the family, the rebel, i could go on.....

I'm the youngest.

There is five of us. Two males and two females.

The males are the oldest and the females the youngest.

We were all born within five years of each other.

Not to blame anyone but i think that some of my problems were influenced by the fact that we were all born too close together. I was scapegoated.

While it apppeared my other four siblings had sibling relationships, sibling conflicts etc, I felt i had a subordinate role to all of them.

My character never got chance to develop.

This is an interesting poll Ross and a great idea. I have heard of the middle child syndrome but nothing relating to other positions in the family. I am the youngest and have an older sis by 7years. I she looked after me alot so was like a second mum to me. I can relate alot to what you said Wobbles.

I am the next to the youngest of an eight child family with a five year difference to my younger sibling. Both my parents worked and we were always well provided for.

So what went wrong with me . No mental health problems dx in my family but my mother was atotal B****

Wow that is suprising that so many are youngest. Especially as, statistically speaking, you are more likely to be the oldest or middlest child.

I don't know about anyone else but I think a lot of my personality issues were due to the way I was treated by my siblings - my two elder brothers would tease me mercilessly from a very young age and made me grow up thinking there was something wrong with me. Of course this is a bit chicken and egg - maybe I had already got that message from my parents and was communicating it to all around me, and they picked up on it and reinforced it. Who knows.

i dont understand this thread my apologies

Hi Flipper

No worries, thats ok. I just wanted to find out from people whether they have brothers and sisters, and if so whether the person voting was the youngest, oldest or somewhere-in-between in terms of age. I wanted to see if there was a relationship between that and mental health issues with people, in general, here.

Archived