Mental Health Forums

Latest Work

Roses

OK so this is something I haven't done before. I make lavendar bags with mongrams on using net curtain so is on similar theme though....

My daughter's class at school are learning about repeating patterns and materials as part of their syllabus this term. They went for a day out to Haydock Races where they learned about Jockey strips and the materials used in their outfits and the such, then made their own strips using repeating patterns. So square, triangle, square, triangle etc.... They are KeyStage 1 still so they only use basic shapes at the moment. They also colour co-ordinate so all the triangles will be say red and all the squares orange. They also designed their own bridles and that using patterns. Then we went for a day out to the art gallery in a nearby town. Here they looked at the artists work most of which had used layering, so a thin material with a picture trapped inside for instance. They also used repeating patterns and the children made their own artpiece trapped between 2 pieces of clear plastic which are going to be hung together in a kinda quilt effect in the school. So, I was thinking I would do something on the theme and lend it to the school for a week or 2 then hang it here at home.

I got some net curtain and cut lots of felt shapes to make a large flower, I folded the net over the top and secured it. I have decorated down the side and across the top to border it and am now in the process of sewing lots and lots of buttons and sequins all over it. The idea is that it is hung in a window to get the full effect. I have taken some pictures to show you so far. I actually feel pretty proud of this one.... should be finished this weekend. Thanks for reading. xxxxx

very beautiful hun! i wish i was creative. you should teach art to your daughters class. love ya xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :wub:

Thank you all sooo much I'm glad you all like it. I think I'll be sewing buttons on for a wee while yet but will post as soon as is finished. I didn't realise that the gold cotton falls apart and gets in terrible knots, but I am determined!

Jo, last Oct/Nov/Dec I did teach sewing but not with one class, we did every child in the school over the 3 months! 120 kids later..... They just did a basic cross stitch. The little ones did "fireworks" lots of lines in different colours all over then the bit older did their names and kisses and the such and the older ones did more brave things like houses and the such. They each took one home for Xmas to put under the tree for someone. It was great fun. Me and my friend Sally did it together and one day I turned up and we had a session with a whole class of 34 odd children with 5 adults - I had kittens! But it was good fun, and they were the 10/11 year olds. I think it's a case of have CRB clearance and get thrown at any project going!

Thank you everyone. I have finished and am taking into school in a bit and loaning them it for a couple of days. Here's some pics of finished article....

Archived