Mental Health Forums

Alters Having Accounts

Lily-Bee

the fact of the matter is that, wherever u go, DID is a highly controversial dx - i had never even heard of it until i started using forums. i knew about dissociation and dissociative disorders, but not DID. its not even recognised by the majority of UK professionals, if any. ive been taken in by ppl claiming to have DID, when they havent had it - theyve just been drunk or w/e whilst online. this goes with other dxs ppl have said they have, im not pigeon holing. ive never met anyone in RL with DID, it only seems to exist on the internet. so yes, im sceptical. and at the end of the day, these alts are people in their own right, right? and arent we all wary when we meet a new person? we dont just trust them straight away, take to them straight away - we feel them out, get to know them...and alts have their own separate personality so im going to treat them how i would treat any new person im meeting!

I agree with this sentiment. Besides the fact that, for all you know, people are just taking the piss, if they are genuinely suffering this then could it not be argued that their seperate personalities might play games? i think this is dangerous. I'm not judging anyone, I'm just looking at it objectively.

Edited by brainshower

Even if that is the case (And i believe in DID) the alters still have to follow the terms and conditions of the site. As DID is becoming a recognised condition Mental Health sites are having to adapt to their needs. Its called progression. I'm undecided as to wther a second account is required, but that is not a case for me to argue because it has already beed decided.

xx

the fact of the matter is that, wherever u go, DID is a highly controversial dx - i had never even heard of it until i started using forums. i knew about dissociation and dissociative disorders, but not DID. its not even recognised by the majority of UK professionals, if any. ive been taken in by ppl claiming to have DID, when they havent had it - theyve just been drunk or w/e whilst online. this goes with other dxs ppl have said they have, im not pigeon holing. ive never met anyone in RL with DID, it only seems to exist on the internet. so yes, im sceptical. and at the end of the day, these alts are people in their own right, right? and arent we all wary when we meet a new person? we dont just trust them straight away, take to them straight away - we feel them out, get to know them...and alts have their own separate personality so im going to treat them how i would treat any new person im meeting!

I agree with this sentiment. Besides the fact that, for all you know, people are just taking the piss, if they are genuinely suffering this then could it not be argued that their seperate personalities might play games? i think this is dangerous. I'm not judging anyone, I'm just looking at it objectively.

Trust me I/we do exist off the internet. Play games? Yeah. I suppose. I like the word association game. How bout you mate?

Michael and company

I must admit i have trouble understanding it.why not have a seperate forum for this something like password protected?I don't know just a suggestion then people can choose whether to enter then :)

or just another board on here would be nice. Peeps are mature enough to make choices with out a pw.

I dunno why I'm so worried. I know who I am.

Michael.

I switch within seconds so I wouldn't even know to change an account for each of my alters, usually Louise is the one that says the most.

My point is, that I could be ironing and suddenly become another alter. Or be speaking to someone on here and switch. So I wouldn't know to think 'I better sign in as my alter now'.

I think this is Louise speaking anyway, because I hate the world. And everything in it. Charlotte doesn't.

I think as long as we say who we are that should be enough shouldn't it? I am not going to say anything else because it'll just all be crap any way.

Maize, I haven't read it all so have no right to say anything really but please don't feel unwelcome, life is pretty crap, and it is good if you have somewhere to go to speak to people who feel the same. So I'm sorry if I've got wrong end of stick but I wanna welcome you.

Louise has so much to say, wish I could let her say it. But gotta go now as I stupidly said I wanted to go to town.

• Like 2

See, that all makes perfect sense to me. So, thanks, you've made it all clearer. I guess it's the idea of switching accounts and having conversations between them that I struggle to understand.

If you switch so you need 2 accounts how come you don't need 10 or how ever many? How come you can remember passwords and how come so many people developed DID when doctors said "possibly " it exists. I don't beleive in it at all I think you have complete control it is hiding underlying mental disorder but you don't think you are several people IMO. I think it is something grown from trauma a childlike way of coping with dreadful things and then people cling on to it. I don't think anyone would pass a lie detector test that they actually believe they have several personaltys. As for the arguing about types of abuse, turns my stomach none of us know what each of us has suffered just that we have all suffered.

id like to say im no expert on DID, iv been told by pdoc i have ddnos, but never asked for a formal dx (im personally not one for labels). but as i have cptsd dx in past i expect this pdocs feeling of ddnos is correct.

i hsve a gd friend with DID, and work in mh so have came across a fair bit of relevant info, but am no expert!! so no disrespect to anyone who is

so many people have said they havnt met anyone with DID, well chances are you have, and just have not been aware of it. some people switching is obvious, some is not, some sometimes is and sometimes not. people with DID are just that, people, and you've probably met many of them, and they have as many individual experiences of being DID as people have of not being DID.

every person out there has different parts to who they are, thats part of human developemnt, we internalise many different experiences and intergrate them into our personalities as we grow up, but when people go through truamatic experineces early on its not uncommon for those parts to be forced to be seprate and dissociate. in someone who has DID these parts then go on to continue to develope seperately whilst the child grows, and therefore they develope their own individual characteristics, needs, memeories, etc and therefor become individual identities/personalities. these identities or personalities are not seprate people, although i can appriciate it may feel that way to them if not co-concious, all of the persons identies make up who they are as a person, the same way as all of a non DIDs persons differnet feelings/sides/parts etc make up who they are. whatever reasons identities are created they develope as seprate and have a right to be validated and welcomed as such because they are real. someone said its only the one personality with the disorder so why do alters need to use the forum, but thats not how things are, identies are not seperate people, but seprate parts/identities/personalities of the same person and the fact that they are seperate is the disorder, therefor all parts experinec the disorder. although this is rarely dx that has alot more to do with lack of understanding and experience on the part of the professionals rather than lack of belief (although there is ofcorse a fair share of that also). there is evidence, generally accepted with mh, that people with DID can have different phyisological responses, different blood pressure readings, different heart rates, different blood glucose, different eye colors etc. I know when i am highly dissociative i have had extreemly differing reactions to pain and medications than i do normally, and im not even as far along the spectrum as DID.

there have been, and im sure still are, plenty of people here who have DID and who have been acepted and supported as such. theres nothing to be threatened by. i guess the seperate account thing has been developed to better meet peoples needs, if it does great, if not then people dont need to use it. im sure there cd be some confusion if alters are not idetified as such, but thats for the indivual pperson to work out, and like its already been said, everyone is subject to the same rules regardless.

Edited by roxy222
  • Like 2

Just wanted to say i found all this very interesting and agree that everyone has their own right to be here and see support from others. It is hard to understand though at times as someone else said people with BPD don't like change and sometimes i came on here and i feel really confused and scared by it all. But i realize that is down to lack of knowledge and understanding about DID, i think what i don't understand is how someone just changes to another personality, i am really not meaning to offend anyone i am just trying to understand what happens when one personality changes to another. Sorry if i haven't made sense, i am trying to understand everything so i can be more understanding and accepting instead of being scared sometimes when i come on here. I should also add i have a very good friend who has DID she is an amazing person and friend but i don't notice when she changes at all.

It happens without notice for me so it would have to be a matter of always backtracking and trying to label it and I just don't have time for all that nonsense. I just deal with things the best I can as they happen and have a pattern of dissociating those experiences because it is so unsettling.

I can see how it would be scary for you not knowing when you change. How does people find out they have DID if they don't remember it happening. I ask because my partner tells me that i am like two different people at times, i don't think i have DID having BPD is bad enough thats what i put it down to, mood changes in my case not personality changes.

I like to minimize it and say no but my long time friend thinks I have this disorder. I don't let her talk to me about it but I wouldn't say no I don't have it because I recognize the experiences now. It was hard for me to recognize most of my life because I have never known any other way of being so I couldn't see it. It was sort of detrimental in a way for me to see it because at that point my coping and functioning broke down and I haven't really been able to recover to the way I was able to cope before when I wasn't aware. I can't handle even talking about it. I am now very isolated because I find the whole thing embarrassing, you know, to know be in total control of oneself at all times.

I hope i haven't upset you by talking about it, i was just interested and trying to understand, thankyou for talking to me about it.xx

Been wrecked since diagnosis back in 1996. Psychiatrist diagnosed me and tried to "treat" me and promptly dumped me I guess when it wasn't as easy or straightforward as she had planned. She actually traumatized me and then dumped me because she was obviously incompetent in the first place. But I was diagnosed with DID, PTSD and Major Depression at that time. The whole mental health system is a farse in my opinion. When they get rid of all the mentally ill people who are set up in private practices in that profession and put them into factory line work or something where they at least won't do any harm to others and get 'their' mental health issues fixed or resolved before they start trying to treat others it would be a start but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. They seem to be attracted to the profession like flies and symbiotically milk the system for the sake of their own needs and interests more than anything. There are few people who are qualified or are in it for the right reasons as I have gone looking for help enough times to know. I have no hope of ever finding anyone who is competent enough to treat me because for the most part they are too mentally ill themselves and shouldn't be allowed to be in those jobs in the first place. Mother fuckers, that's what I'd like to call them.

Edited by Maize
  • Like 2

I hope i haven't upset you by talking about it, i was just interested and trying to understand, thankyou for talking to me about it.xx

Not at all don't worry. You are sweet. Thank you :)

Is it really fair to everyone else that some people are given more priveleges based on their mental illness than others are? Does multiple accounts allow "alters" more power to plus or minus someone they don't like, for example? That would be very wrong. It is just that much more chaotic and stressful with all the insanity and drama that has been going on around this issue. It also seems unfair to everyone else that some are given more priveleges this way and doubt it really accomplishes anything. It's just double or triple whatever the love/hate and just icky.

My personal view on alters having sep accounts:

it's only been very recent that we alters have even used a sep account to WP. We use to just post through the WarriorPrincess acount. New decision was made cuz we unintentionally do tend to hurt her rep. sometimes and we don't wanna do that. Not jus rep points but reputation in general.

Also cuz she works for the forum as a peer supporter, and in the past, as a moderator. that's when we made the fireflies accounbt. We alters don't feel that we should be using those tools or have the advantage of that power if ya wanna call it that. For that and some other internal reasons, we decided that WP needed her own space where we don't step in when she's acting in her forum role.

thirdly, there were times that WP disopeared from the face of this forum unexplained. This was usually due to us bein out and going elsewhere leaving people here wondering WTF happened to her. It caused worry and interferred with her roles on the forum. So, we decided that if it was ok for us to speak here then the confusion of that would be gone.

So there were many reason for it. Maybe they aint good reasons. I dunno. Some of the reasons are private internal reasons.

I dunno what to do about the above mentioned problem in the previos post cuz yeah I can see it is a problem as far as the rep system and the warn system goes.

Possible solutions:

1. If one account gets a warn they both do.

2. Both host/core personality and alters agree that if one negs or +'ves someone's post, the other account wont, even if they have opposing views on the topic. ie one wants toneg the other wants to +ve. Trust me it's happened with us! Of cause that will only work if you have system co opeation.

3. ___________________________________ fill in the blank cuz i'm sure peeps out there have way better idea's than me.

Michael

Edited by Fireflies
  • Like 2

I can understand why this idea has been put in place. I do have a concern that it could cause trolls to abuse the system put there to help people tho. However this shouldnt affect the people it is suppose to help by taking it away completely. I think members should know who the alters are tho. There could be a few ways of doing this, like has been said before signing at the bottom which alter it is, each alter could have in their sig who their other alters are or is there some way of linking the alt sign ins to one another so you can see who the alter is also.

I do understand the idea but maybe it need to be more concrete and safer from abuse of others. Hope you find a way to resolve this to make it safer for people and not open the doors for more trolls. I think this needs to be monitored very closely for people to feel safe enough to post here.

The sad thing is, alters are feeling less and less safe to post here separate account or not because of numerous negative and sometimes abusive reactions.

WP

• Like 2

The sad thing is, alters are feeling less and less safe to post here separate account or not because of numerous negative and sometimes abusive reactions.

WP

agreed

You are safe to post, staff are on here almost 24/7 to check nobody is being abused,aside from that this place is like real life where there are also people that do not react nicely.

Maybe you can see it as a challenge to find a way to deal with that or just dont deal with it focus on your friends here,take whats good here and leave whats bad in your eyes.

Maize; alters and hosts do not have any priviliges others dont have,they can have alter accounts yes but they need to all abide by the same rules as all members and if we find people using alter accounts misusing the negging posts those negs will be taken away and the alter officially warned.

Were not stupid we will notice any misuse and act on it.

Lilly

• Like 2