Mental Health Forums

Foods Important For Our Mental Health ?

carrey

I am a physically fit person who performs exercise on a regular basis and also consumes healthy diet. But i am looking to improve my mental strength with the help of nutritious foods. Can anyone advice me on some healthy foods for our mental well-being ?

Hi. I think fruits and vegetables are full of vitamines and minerals that are important. You shall already have them if you're eating healthy. Can't think of anything else for now, sorry.

I think you should have food as follows:

Breakfast: Mug of Tea (milk/. half sugar). toast and two eggs.

Lunch: Ham sandwich, crisps and diet soda

Dinner: Pork chops/ roast potatoes and vegetables.

That is an example of a days food.

Thank you people for your helpful as well as informative advice. Those tips were really very handy. I am looking forward to more like this.

When i feel shit and dont wanna leave the house its so tempting to order pizza but when i do, feel real crappy afterwards. If you eat a good balance and variety of healthy foods, well personally i have noticed that i feel better mentally. it is hard not to be lazy though ...

I think you should have food as follows:

Breakfast: Mug of Tea (milk/. half sugar). toast and two eggs.

Lunch: Ham sandwich, crisps and diet soda

Dinner: Pork chops/ roast potatoes and vegetables.

That is an example of a days food.

What no fruit lol....

My diet is pretty varied but at a glance,

Breakfast: Handful of berries in natural youghurt.

Snack: Banana or something similar.

Lunch: Salad or soup depends on how I feel.

Snack: rice cakes/handful of nuts

Dinner: Stir fry

Snack: Usually fruit of some sort or cumcumber carrot sticks with humous.

If it is a chilly day I will have porridge for breakie and a nice stew for dinner...

not the most healthy diet but it works for me,

• 4 months later...

There seems to be a link between lack of b vitamins and mental health problems, possibly because in some people although they have enough b's in their system, for some reason the body utilises less of the available b's than in the majority of the population.

I try to eat a lot of shell fish with brown seeded bread, when I get bored with that, feta cheese tomatoes, olive oil and brown seeded bread!

I do know that a good quality multi vitamin tablet every day helps a lot with my state of mind, I think I am right in saying that the cheaper versions are chemically made (?) rather than naturally made, so the body doesn't find them as easy to utilise.

Fats :)

Nuts, seeds, omega oils (from fish preferably or cold-pressed flax), coconut oil

Plus lots of different fruit and vegetables, I find making soups is a great way to get more vegetables. Just chuck a load of veg in a saucepan, boil and blend (I like onions, garlic, broccoli, celery plus some creme fraiche)

• 1 month later...

the shrink and researcher daniel amen writes about nutrition for folks with mental health issues in his books

its his primary course of treatment rather than prescription drugs

he's considered controversial but he claims greater outcomes for patients

Has anyone tried this approach and seen any kind of improvement? Do you think it could reallychange things?

I would be interested to know about this, it does make sense in a lot of ways as nutrients or lack of are known to affect mood as does low/high blood sugar levels!

Having a healthy and balanced diet can help you maintain your mental health. Also, limiting your alcohol intake can produce positive results; alcohol has a depressant effect on the brain.

This article should help.

It seems according to latest research, zinc is often found deficient in people (and animals) who are depressed. I am not a fan of vitamin supplements, so I recommend trying to get minerals and nutrients through regular food, unless truly needed. I don't know about zinc specifically, but too much of a good thing like vitamins (through supplementation is often detrimental to your health), so always supplement with caution if you go that route! It would be a good idea to first determine if you blood stores are low. But a diet high in zinc rich foods is a great idea! On another note, definitely fish and shellfish, but especially the high fatty fish. Mussels are quite affordable. http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/01/04/depression-tied-to-low-zinc-levels-in-blood/64076.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• 2 weeks later...

@Mousie - no problem!

Hadn't realised that there were blogs on this site, and they're REALLY USEFUL. Must check out more resources here :)

Lots of interesting responses... Since a lot of people have mentioned consuming oily fish for better mental health, how much of an impact does it really have on the mind? I know that omega-3 is important for the heart but not too sure about the benefit to the brain (some studies show they do whereas others state it doesn't have a difference).

• 3 months later...

Yes food is every important to our health because it is very healthy for our life and it is not side effect in long time to health. All type of vitamins are available in food so it is very useful for health.

Archived