Mental Health Forums

Heard From One Of The Shops

lonelyheartemma

I posted in crisis yesterday about how a shop assistant didn't detag an item properly and the staff in the shops I went in afterwards thought I was a thief because I kept setting the alarms off.

It was really terrible and I emailed the shops to say how they treated me.

A woman from the head office of one of the shops phoned this evening, she was very apologetic about it and she's going to get in contact with my branch of the shop to make sure they deal with that kind of situation better in future- staff members should be aware that mistakes like that can happen and they are always supposed to be polite to customers and not just assume they've done something wrong. It seemed like she really meant it too.

I think even getting one response like that is good - it's amazing she read the email 24 hours later (and on a Sunday too) and responded straight away. What a lovely understanding person- her employees and customers are very lucky.

Thank you :)

The clothes shop emailed too, they are going to give the staff extra training to make sure they know how to remove all the tags.

I feel a bit guilty tbh. I've never worked a day in my life and I'm telling them how to do their jobs :/ But it is quite important for them to get these things right.

think even getting one response like that is good - it's amazing she read the email 24 hours later (and on a Sunday too) and responded straight away. What a lovely understanding person- her employees and customers are very lucky.

I'm pleased you got a good response. It must be upsetting to have people think you are a thief! It may be 'luck', but I think everyone is entitled to this sort of response (even if they don't always get it) - thats what customer service are there for.

I agree that everyone deserves a nice understanding manager. I suppose I just assumed they were rare because most people aren't nice to me but I probably shouldn't base my opinions of people in general on my own experience. For one thing my experience of people is very limited and also I'm very paranoid and inclined to interpret everything in the most negative possible way.

It's possible the employees who thought I was a thief weren't actually being nasty. If they 100% believed I was a thief for whatever reason it probably was really kind of them not to phone the police.

Once when I was in a shop, I was threatened with the police if I did not leave the shop by the security and assistant manager as I would not remove my hood down or take my scarf off, As it was hiding my face... I am known for hiding my face when out for reasons, But he would not allow me to explain ect ect ect, I am trying to go for the short story haha... Anyway me and my mum told my sister about it and she rang up head office to complaint about it and they were great!!! I woke up one morning to find I had been sent a big bunch of flowers from them and then also got two £50 vouchers off them for it too and action was taken with the security man and assistant manager, And we are talking more than two years ago and I have only been in that shop three times since and that's only in the last few months...

So it is always good to complaint to head office, If you're treated unfairly for no reason at all and I am glad they got back to you so soon aswell...

I'm glad it worked out for you Dice. Some people (like my mum) have an attitude about people who hide their face but there are so many different reasons why someone might do that and I should think few of them are related to the fact the person hiding their face is in any way violent. You were treated badly and I'm glad they took action against the staff members and tried to make it up to you. Too many people make assumptions and then decide it's the only possible truth (and then they say we're the ones always thinking negative thoughts about people). Everyone has the right to be listened to.

I fully understand how your mother and many other people think and feel about people who cover their faces, As it is true many who do it are scum bags and up to no good; It's the same as many people will class a single race out for always carrying weapons and things...

I guess many reasons for that is because of how the press portrait these people in the New Papers and on the TV's... I found myself that when I have my niece with me, People will and do smile and say hello to me a hell of a lot more than when I am on my own, You are per judged in a slip second by people in this world for how you look and yes it is wrong but it won't change, Unless you take two minutes out and speak to that person and see they aren't like all the others...

Anyway I am going way of your topic, Sorry about that...

• 3 weeks later...

It's not irrelevant Dice- that's exactly what the shop assistant people did with me. Took one look at me and judged me. I'm young, I wear expensive-looking clothes, I don't have any friends to go shopping with on a Saturday...well obviously I stole the clothes and because of that no one wants to be friends with me!

Actually I'm alone because I'm very shy and my clothes look expensive because I spend a lot of time on ebay hunting down bargains but obviously there aren't many people in the world like that...:P

I heard from the bookshop as well. They said the shop assistant was doing her job and I must have misinterpreted her. Tbh that was the response I was expecting from all 3 of them but after the good responses from the other 2 shops I can't help feeling a little bit disappointed.

I think its really courageous to complain about bad treatment and we all have to learn from our mistakes, so why not the shop assistants, its a learning curve and although we all stereotype to a greater or lesser degree, this is a case in point 'don't read the book by its cover'. I'm so pleased to hear that you got good feedback and a positive response hat you so rightly deserved. x

Thank you Buzzybee!

That's very true, it's impossible not to stereotype a little but even if their instincts are saying "thief" they could very easily be wrong so they need to be kind and respectful and not make their assumptions obvious. If they get it wrong they are going to hurt people's feelings and lose customers. And if they are right and someone is a thief then a sarcastic attitude probably won't help there either.

Archived