Mental Health Forums

Why Can't I Control My Emotions?!?!

hooley25

Completely new to this and not too sure what I am to put but feel like I can't talk to loved ones about this as I am probably being silly! I am a 25 year old woman who is physically fit, no dependants, live at home with mum and have worked 7 days a week since october 2013. Since from being a teenager I have always found it hard to control my emotions; was a pretty angry/naughty teen a lot of the and put my parents through hell with it, but I just put that down to being a stroppy teenager! At the age of 19 I was diagnosed with depression and became very suicidal, however I managed to get through it all. However, the one thing I haven't been able to get through are my mood swings and have been told they are awful to deal with at times! Of late, my mood swings have become increasingly worse! One minuet I am on top of the world, confident, sociable, motivated... I was always a hyper kid and that is a trait I still have! Sometimes at work it is a struggle for me to sit still and remain in my seat! Some nights I feel the need to go on a long walk to get some energy out to stop me feeling frustrated. Sometimes I become sk excitable, friends and family find it hard to keep up with what I am saying and tell me to slow down; if I have an idea I my head, I obsess over it for a good week or so until that idea has fizzled out and sleeping at night becomes a struggle! And now it comes to the next minute; from being on top of the world, I become low, miserable, angry and irritable! I feel so sorrt for my girlfriend at times because it seems like she gets the full brunt if it all! I love her with all my heart and never want to be without her but I become so irritable over thr smallest things: the cats, a suddeb loud noise, if something doesnt go right, if im running late ill make out like its her fault, I become nasty but I cant control myself! I find it hard to let things drop and feel like my blood is boiling for the most pathetic reasons! My girlfriend said she feels like she has to watch what she says and had to walk on egg shells and I don't want it to be like that! She isn't the first girlfriend to have said that! An old house mate said he felt like he was living with 2 completely different people at times! I find I detach myself away from people a lot... its like I cant be bothered with them... I'd prefer to be on my own... the high and low moment cany be very mixed... some days ill exoerience both several times in one day... sometimes ill feel like im on drugs bouncing iff the walls for a couple of days, then go into an uncontrollable, irritable angry mood! All cincentration goes and it effects my work life and love life... I dont know how to control this or what to do :-(

Hi hooley. Welcome on the site and thanks for posting. If you feel you can no longer control what's happening, it's worth going to your GP. Describe your situation the way you have written it here and ask for help. GP will be able to assess for a start and may refer you. I understand it's not easy talking to loved ones, I never do, but now built a support network around me that I can call on when it gets tough. If you can, though, speak with your girlfriend and let her know you're sorry about the way things are, that it's got nothing to do with her, but that there's stuff you need help with and need to sort out. Reaching out is hard but the biggest comfort is knowing that there is support out there, whoever it may be. Trying to talk to your girlfriend may also take the pressure of the situation a bit, so you won't feel the need to bash yourself up over your relationship and it will help her understand.

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you two things from what I read.

One, my reading skills are excellent, as I decoded all the spelling and run ons. (Kidding, kidding....mostly)

Two, you have a girlfriend who truly loves you. Because for all the problems you describe, she's still there. She wants to help. You're already in better shape than many with problems because you're not alone.

It really does read like me on a bad day. The only solution I found was a wife who could ride the storm. But that's not recommended, since it's hard to find. (Though you might just have one yourself!)

I tried to learn not to lash out at others when those feelings happen, but other than that I've never found an actual cure to the anger and mood swings. I just try to hold it in, which I'm sure every doctor in the world who reads me saying that will do a face palm.

Try to catch yourself when you start acting up and force yourself to stop. Really, that's all any of us can do. It takes a while to get yourself to be able to do that, but just keep trying. If you never give up, eventually you'll get somewhere. (I should write some motivational book, the stuff that flows out my brain.)

But hey, I'm a random insane person. It's probably safer to see a therapist and see what they say.

Well, I tried to help in any way I can. I failed....but I tried! Gold star for me.

Hope it gets better. I'm in the same boat with what you listed and do wish you to beat this thing. For selfish reasons.

You beat it and then I can find out what the answer was. So yes, I truly wish you success!

Archived