Mental Health Forums

Mood Swings - How Do You Cope?

Lapwing

I had a massive depression a few months ago, thankfully now over that blip, but now having quite major and rapid mood swings, which are making life quite hard at times. They've been noticed by my husband, and also my line manager (who knows about my mental health conditions - I have BPD and Bipolar 1). I'm trying as much as possible to use them in a positive way - for example at work, I do more strategic and creative work, and when down, I do more mundane work...

The problem is that it's all getting very tiring, I never know where I'm going to be from one day to the next. This sort of thing often happens to me after a major episode, but never as bad as this time.

Does anyone have any tips to cope with this?

I'm experiencing kind of the same thing with my moods.

Sorry you're struggling and sorry i can't offer much advice but thinkin of you and hope you feel at ease soon. X

Lapwing I love how you are using your mood swings in a positive way, that's a really clever idea but I can see it still leaves you with a lot of uncertainty. Have you spoken to a doctor or a psychiatrist about this? There might be some medication you can take that would help with your moods.

Thanks both for replying - it's nice to know I'm not the only one to get this....

Emma, I haven't got a psychiatrist at the moment - I was referred when I had the last episode, he changed my meds but as soon as I was on the dose he wanted without any major side effects I got discharged.... it's the way the services work round here apparently! I'm on two mood stabilisers already, lithium and lamatacil, for the bipolar.... I suspect the lithium might not be at a high enough dose, but I don't yet know the results of my last blood level test 3 months ago... trip to the GP I guess....

:bigarmhug[1]:

My coping strategies for my rapid changing moods is to and this sounds probably old advice but going for a fast walk not a huge distance with my music blasting through my headphones. I feel a lot calmer from it! You should give this a go.

My moods were that rapidly changing I'd be up the street and just suddenly in an instant want to cry and cut myself or else go out with a lot of cash and spend money.

Walking is a great aid :)

Thank you for that suggestion - doesn't sound strange at all to me, and much healthier than my current coping mechanisms of alcohol and fags! :)

I deal with mood swings by wiping everything off my calendar and list of stuff to do, and literally telling myself nothing needs to happen outside weather this storm of feeling. So, I essentially clear my plate to do nothing.

Thank you - I spoke to my boss the other day, and he's given me permission to do this. So now it's time to not beat myself up if I do....

Exactly, I am glad you see that because that is often the way when we are doing "nothing". We start criticizing ourselves instead, but good on for seeing that is one of the obstacles to wipe clean too. I am glad you were able to speak with your boss. I am often afraid of asking for support in my work environment.

I hope you are able to ask Saharah - when I manage, it makes a huge difference, but it's not easy, due to the guilt I feel - I work for a conservation charity, and we're always stretched. I love my job and I don't want to fail at it, or make anyone else's life harder because of my issues.... not that anyone has ever even suggested this in my current job, I've had nothing but support...

Also found it hard to ask anything to my superiors when I was working so totally understand this. I hope you'll be able to though, cause you very well deserve some more support. Let's say you don't risk too much by just asking.

Spoke to him yesterday, because things are sliding quite quickly downhill. Trying to manage things better, but feeling the pressure of deadlines and responsibility and things organised when I was high which I now can't cancel... We'll see I guess. I know I'll get more support if I ask for it - my head's just messed up on that one. I don't want to except that this is all happening again so soon I guess...

Archived