Mental Health Forums

Diagnosis on discharge notice

Nicola_marie

Hey folks. So i was in hospital for 4 months with a diagnosis of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder. Then i requested my notes and i have a secondary diagnosis on there of eupd impuslive type. I dont know if they decided i didnt have eupd so never told me but it was news to me.

Im also a mental health nurse so i was abit upset because i know the stigma in the system of people with eupd and to be honest i didnt want to have to deal with peoples snotty attitudes towards me because of a diagnosis.

After some reading and reflecting i decided i dont care. Its just a label. If i am eupd then thats what i have. I do meet some of the criteria and can see traits for sure. I do switch my moods from morning to night but i dont self harm and only suicidal once in my life and im 29.

Anyways, i dont know whether to now ask for eupd tailored therapy or not say anything. I dont want to push for that diagnosis if its now been changed but i know i have unstable self identity. People with experience getting help from services, what do you think?

hi

it is very hard to get specific help for bpd/eupd anyway so even if you asked for it there may well be nothing available

I have bpd but was not dx until 44

I had not self harmed (well nothing except binge eating and occasional head banging) until just before that time

I had been in a long (though very dysfunctional) marriage, 

and had not had dealings with a&e

but omg my emotions/identity/thoughts/reactions = all over the place with such burning intensity

and of course - I had no idea that other people didn't feel things as badly - and when I felt or was told my reactions were over the top then it just fed

into my being 'wrong and bad' which I already   'knew to be true'  inside my head

as a mh nurse, you know that only a psychiatrist can give you that formal diagnosis, and it is up to you if you take it further or not

but I think I wish I had known about it all those years earlier

it may have helped disarm the endless comments that I was 'just nasty/ridiculous/crazy/wrong' which were thrown at me over and over and over

and fortunately most mh professionals are beginning to be more respectful around our difficulties

all the best with whatever path you decide on

xx

Archived