Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine Vs Venlafaxine

prosperoliver

I've got a GPs appointment on Monday. Gonna (politely) tell him where to stick his mirtazapine.

Have researched subject far and wide and have not met one single person so far who hasn't said it made them put on a lot of weight. When pressed upon the subject as to whether their mood improved, they were a bit vague and said maybe, maybe not. So, in conclusion, my research is that mirtazapine will 100% make you fat, maybe cheer you up. Great for people with eating disorders eh.

Yep, ideal!

I'm glad that I had a pdoc who thought it worth considering what weight gain would mean to me without me even having to discuss it. Well, of course she had to go away....

HATE to have to say this................

but in clinical trials only 13% of patients put on weight.

My cousin is on Zispin

He hasn't gained any.

BUT I WOULDN'T TOUCH IT EITHER

It is aimed at old frail folk to help build them up

God, I go on..................

Pip

x

Yep, ideal!

I'm glad that I had a pdoc who thought it worth considering what weight gain would mean to me without me even having to discuss it. Well, of course she had to go away....

Of course. Only the shite insensitive freako wrong-side-of-the-desk ones stick around. Where DO the nice people go??? My nice one got pregnant and left. Obviously chose having a functional life than hanging around hospital psych wards and who can blame her.

Pip

I wouldn't believe a clinical trial unless it was me who conducted it! I don't know if its true, but I read in a leftwing newspaper that Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government abolished the only independent medical research authority and that now all reasearch is conducted by drug companies themselves. Phah! I do hope this cannot be true.

One thing I don't understand is WHY don't they ever ask us for feedback? I've tried so many diff meds and never ever ever ever has anyone said can you fill out this questionnaire about how you personally found it. I appreciate that doing so wouldn't constitute a clinically controlled medical trial but surely patient feedback experiences should be of interest to 'them' whoever they are????

Real

Please don't get me started on drug trials,

There are very strict protocols that go with them.

If I start on them I will be here for days - so I won't start!!!!!!!!!

Ok now I can't speak cos my mind is doing 90.

All trials are needed for the drug to get it's liscence an go on the market and be prescribed. They are regulated by the Medicines Control Agency.

Many trials are done all over the world and then the results pooled.

OK I hear that voice shouting ENOUGH

Yeah dump the Zispin - tell your GP you spoke with someone who works for organon and she said NO

I got doc too tomorrow

Good luck to us both!!!!!!!!!!

Pip

x

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but i've only just noticed this thread.

I'm on 150mg of Venlafaxine, which i take nightly. I found that it has made me put weight on.

People talk about withdrawral symptoms after only a day. I quite often have missed out doses and have never had these withdrawrals like others.

I cant say anything about Mirtazapine as i've never been on it, but it took my doc long enough to put me on this as he tends to favour Prozac a lot.

i was on325 venlafaxine now 150mg i keep tinking ive taken it and havent find them in strange places around house dont feel they suit me but psych wont listen

Archived