Mental Health Forums

Prescribed Escitalopram

Lydia

HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking the first one is the hardest step

PROUD OF YOU

Pip

x

This is a bit late I guess....

But I have taken escitilopram. And although I didn't feel any better, I had no side effects from it!

As has been said anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are a world away from each other, especially in side effects.

Good luck and well done for taking them! A small dose or not it was still a huge step!

I hope it helps you. :) :bigarmhug[1]:

Good for you that you took that step. I hope it works out for you.

Still wanted to repeat that at least citalopram did help me and it didn't have any effect on my weight. If any, weight loss because I got more active. The taking it in the morning thing is just because of it heightening your activity as far as I know. So it could keep you awake if taken in the evening. I'm not sure though, maybe Pip will scream out that it's wrong.

Good luck with the pills and I'm glad your boyfriend is supportive.

Hugs

Eva

Thanks for all your lovely support people, I really appreciate it!

I took a slightly bigger half of a pill today, and I've felt pretty groggy and sick all day, but nothing I can't cope with. Also been a bit of a sleepy one, and had horrid nightmares last night.....but again, nothing I've not had just from being bonkers, so if it's all for the greater good I'm carrying on. Not sure when to try taking the full dose...the doc prescribed me 10mg and so far I'm still only taking 2.5 and feeling yuck on it.

Still looking to the postiive though....

Hi Lydia

I've just finished my first 4 weeks on escitalopram (cipralex) 10mg, and have not had any side effects at all. My moods are definitely stabilising, although gradually, but I have definitely felt better than i did over the previous 4 weeks, and I am sleeping much better.

escitalopram is a more efficient version of citalopram, so you can theoretically have good effects on a lower dosage than you would have to take of citalopram.

I know what you mean about tablets, I also hate medication and dont eat processed foods because of all the chemicals (eat mostly raw food) and this helps, but now I've started the medication I feel more positive and more determined to get better so that i dont have to be on it for ever.

Try not to worry about the meds, just let them do their job, you have enough to worry about as it is I expect.

SK xxx

Hi Lydia I took 20mg of cipralex for 2 years and while I'm not sure how much it helped my mood it didn't have any bad side effects. You've done really well for starting it despite your fears and so try to stick with it and see. Maybe it'll work and you'll be so happy you took the brave step. I honestly can't see it doing you any harm. Good luck Steph xo :wacko:

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your support! I'm on day ten and I think I'm actually starting to feel better! I have been able to talk to people for the first time in years, and I feel less scared of the world. I've been ill since 1997, so the thought of getting over this makes me almost tearful with joy. Just this little positive effect has made me over the moon. I am getting side effects of insomnia and jumpy legs, but it's nothing really, not in comparison to the thought of feeling better. I'm not seeing great improvements, but I went to a picnic and watched the football in central london which is something I'd have been terrified doing normally, and I coped!

Still on 3mg, but am going to up the dose this saturday. Scary, but hopefully worth it!

Hi, I wonder if you can help me? I upped the dose on saturday to 5mg and ever since then I've been getting this odd twitch in my thumb which happens every time I clench my fist. I've also become really paranoid and I'm convinced because I suffered parkinsonism and dystonia etc from haloperidol, in later life I will get parkinsons...and I'm scared this twitching in my thumb is the start of Motor Neuron Disease, which usually starts in one finger. I'm terrified and thinking I should stop the meds. I don't want to feel like this...

I think you should talk to your doc about this. No one here is qualified to say anything about a matter as that.

Having said that, try and stay calm. I've got a twitch in my legs for a few weeks now because of my meds. It's not the worst of side effects although I simply don't like the feeling of not being in control over my own body.

I hope that your twitches aren't anything to be concerned about and that a doc can help you put your mind to rest.

Hugs

Eva

Thanks Eva, I think you're probably right, I've just made a doctors appointment so that I can talk to him about my fears. Maybe it'll wear off after I while. Thanks for your thoughts Eva

Archived