Mental Health Forums

Online Diagnosis

rose27

Hi all thanks for all of your replies, it is just nice to know I can speak to people that have the same feelings as I, therefor hopefully won't want to judge me.

LATW

Hi Rose,

I have to agree with Miko's post about trying to avoid a diagnosis of a personality disorder if you can help it. I've had a very similar experience to Miko regarding the way the mental health people have treated me since I got diagnosed with a personality disorder and also the experience of how others at my mental health centre diagnosed with personality disorders are treated. Compared to those at my centre with serious mental illness, the personality disorder diagnosed people are treated far far worse. Worse as in the sense of if the person with PD becomes ill, they withdraw support. Those with SMI get MORE support and treatment if they become unwell.

Another example is if someone at my centre is diagnosed with recurrent depression, they are treated far far better than say someone at my centre who is diagnosed with recurrent depression and a personality disorder (mainly borderline). When the person with the PD and depression becomes unwell with the depression, the mental health people do not seem to recognize that that person is currently unwell because of a depressive relapse but instead maintain it is because of the personality disorder, so therefore they withdraw support and aren't allowed any contact for any help, support or treatment until they have "recovered".

Although it may seem that a diagnosis of depression may seem a brush off, in actual fact a psychiatrist has looked into one's symptoms in great detail before making the depression diagnosis and its a serious mental illness, as opposed to a personality disorder, therefore the treatment and support in some areas of the country will be much better.

I hasten to add that this isn't the same everywhere - it is just my experience at my local mental health centre.

thanks, i will take your advice.im glad i have found this site, as if i hadnt i fear i would have rushed in without thinking.i have got a refferral from my doctor and he said the mental health team will be sending me forms through and that i should basically repeat my letter on them.does anyone know how the process will work from now on?is it out of my doctors hands?

Hi Rose,

Well the referral is still only going through to your MH team, so you are still officially not a patient of theirs yet and still in the care of your GP. Until the mental health people say they are taking you into their care for your mental health treatment (secondary care) then your GP has full control.

But, once the mental health people have got hold of you.............

Your GP will not have any say on what diagnosis you end up with or what treatment or care they will provide. He can put his 5 eggs in if he disagrees with say for example them discharging you back into his care if they feel they can't do anymore, but the psychiatrist has overall say on what happens once you are with them.

I never had forms to fill in when I get referred. I was just sent to see my ex cpn who told me about his therapy and I had bpd. Just fill the forms in as honestly as you can and go from there.

Good luck.

I think it vital you yourself maintain control, the 'team' are only there for if they can offer resources and skills that you think appropriate (to the extent you are fit to judge but don't let them be the only judges of that)

:)

thanks miko, im getting impatient now though.the doctor didnt tell me how long i should expect to wait for these forms, and im frustrated with waiting, especially when i feel pretty down and helpless with my feelings at the moment.

Archived