Mental Health Forums

32 Month Waiting List To See A Psychologist!

EyeCeyE

It is possible to get funding from the local pct, but you have to be persistent, which when you're battling bpd (or any other mental illness) isn't easy.

I was looking at residential and paying for it privately is £50k per 16 weeks. Now, I can't afford that, my dad could just about if he lived on bread and water for a year (min. treatment time). It sucks badly that it is so expensive to go private in the UK. Sweden (where I am now) is about £200 a day and that's a year minimum, so even there very expensive. Why are mh problems not funded enough??? It pisses me off no end. It is like mh is less important than physical, which isn't the case. Average waiting for treatment over here is 18 months, 18 months is a long time and is often too little, too late and your 32 months makes me so angry it's untrue. It shouldn't be like that. And then hearing that a lot of mh professionals won't treat us with bpd because it is too difficult (ie we are). No wonder we have trouble getting better. No help and shunned by some mh professionals.

Sorry about the rant.

Ulrica

I know someone who has successfully got her community team to fund private therapy through direct payments.

It was on the basis that she was assessed as needing it and they would not be able to provide it for over 18months.

With direct payments you are allowed to purchase in your own care

i tried to get my non existent care co-ordinator who had repeatedly told me the area i live in has no support for BPD or PD sufferers, to refer me to the direct payment method, where you opt out of receiving care from the community ... and fund yourself, or to refer me out of county .. his answer was to ignore me for a further 3 months, putting me off any support, denying me any contact, even with a care plan in place, to the extent that i contacted the MP, who got things rolling for me again, still very slow, and still i have not proceeded to being referred to the direct payment route

so if you are successful, would you put up a posting so we can ask for this support with guidance, for ourselves

thank you

Archived