Mental Health Forums

What Are You Ocd About?

tiellover

Washing my hands at work. Three lots of soap, three hand washes.

The locks on my door. From bottom to top unlocking.

And a random one, I have to read my livejournal comments in my email first, before I see them on lj.

Generally I like to do things in three, fives or nines.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Checking - doors are locked/things are turned off/windows are shut

*Ensuring places are safe for others - nothing someone might trip over/walk into/have fall on them etc

*Reading car number plates

*Touching things - lamp-posts/certain parts of the wall etc

*Driving back round the route I have just driven to make sure everything is ok

It is taking over my life, argh! :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I have to check my alarm clock numerous times before I can go to bed (and I need 5 alarms set or I'll feel nervous about not waking up and being late for work), I have to check the door is locked when leaving for work the next day at least 4 times. I also have to check to make sure that no space heaters are on. Getting ready for bed I have to check all windows and doors twice at least. I also obsess if I have a nail that is chipped, or any imperfection on my skin, like a cut, dry skin, or anything else.

I havent been diagnosed with ocd, but I do things like count words, letters, full stops etc..... I also straighten things out. If I try to leave it, it drives me mad and I have to do it.

I havent been diagnosed with ocd, but I do things like count words, letters, full stops etc..... I also straighten things out. If I try to leave it, it drives me mad and I have to do it.

Oh, i thought i was on my own, i count letters, words etc. It does my head in because i don't know why. It can be anywhere, TV, posters etc. Glad i am not alone!

Oh, i thought i was on my own, i count letters, words etc. It does my head in because i don't know why. It can be anywhere, TV, posters etc. Glad i am not alone!

No your not alone :) It drives me mad!!!!

Wow, some interesting things here!

I haven't been classed with an OCD, but I would certainly guess that I would if somebody knew about these:

* Plates, knives, forks, spoons, anything like that all have to be rinsed under the tap and dried with a clean dish cloth from the cupboard before I use it. I can't stand smears or watermarks...

* I always get a clean towel before I have a wash or shower, even if the one already in there has been used once, for drying hands.

* I only touch light switches with my knuckles, not my fingertips. If it's not a switch, but instead is a long chord coming from the ceiling, then I grab the highest part that nobody touches.

* Toilet roll... A relatively new one for me, I no longer touch any of the next 3 squares on a roll, because the only hands that have touched them were when the person was wiping their shit. Not cool!

* I lift and lower the toilet seat with my foot, and to flush it too.

* I can't stop sniffing my fingers and rubbing them on my top-lip if I accidently touch any of the above... This one just renders everything else completely pointless! :lol:

Oh my...what a freak. Still, I have a jolly good laugh at myself when I think about these! :lol: They're pretty much 100% of the time, but I'm trying to learn that if I'm this obsessive over germs, then my immune system can't and won't build...

EDIT: That said, if I'm in a situation where I can't follow my own rules, then I don't usually make a fuss, I'll just get on with it and forget about it all.

Peace, Lance

If it's not a switch, but instead is a long chord coming from the ceiling, then I grab the highest part that nobody touches.

You're not alone in that one !!

I clean my mac 1,000 times a day and freak out when I see the tiny scratches on the screen, I set alarm every two hours to check my mac..

everything in my room has to be in aphebitical order or i go loopy and will spend hours making sure its all perfect.

i have to turn on/off my light in my room 10 times before i goto bed sometimes im thinking im going to have a seizure lol

we have a wet room and i turn on the lights the shower shut the shower curtian and wipe the floor clean the loo sit before i go to the bathroom lmao

i save my best for last ... i have to and i mean have to have matching cutlery if i dont i either go hungry if im out ,or i eat with my fingers been like it forever .

• 4 weeks later...

my washing schedule cannot be changed - bath, clean bath, shower, clean shower, wash hair, clean bath, shower, clean shower.

i have to wash my hands with alchogel every hour

i wont let anyone touch anything ive touched with out it being washed first

and i am obsessive about counting, i count letters in my head from sentences ive just heard/read, but i cant stop until its on a number ending in 0 e.g 10,20 etc

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I wash my hands WAAAAAY too much. Can't stand having dirty or sticky hands! It's been so bad in the past, my doctors thought I had a bad case of eczema (sp?)!

I've brushed my teeth so obsessively in the past (too often and too hard) that I now have gum problems. So now I obsess about THAT!! :wacko:

Unlike most people with OCD, I am a total mess (except for my clean hands lol). I'm a compulsive hoarder :o so my place is constantly in a horrible mess. I hate it, but just the thought of trying to clean everything up makes me exhausted. (Most doctors think compulsive hoarding is a form of OCD-who knows tho??).

I also have to check that the doors are properly locked before going to bed at night, and that the window shutters are closed. And if they're not closed "my way" I go around and fix them!!!

OCD SUCKS!!! :angry:

i have to have something on in my room to go sleep a light tv something i cant sleep unless something is on..

i also have to push the lock button my car when i get out then again just as im going into the house to make sure..

oh and when im going out i have to check my bag about 10 times to make sure i have everything and then im still sure to forget something :lol:

my washing schedule cannot be changed - bath, clean bath, shower, clean shower, wash hair, clean bath, shower, clean shower.

i have to wash my hands with alchogel every hour

i wont let anyone touch anything ive touched with out it being washed first

and i am obsessive about counting, i count letters in my head from sentences ive just heard/read, but i cant stop until its on a number ending in 0 e.g 10,20 etc

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I do the counting thing

OMG I am feeling tortured tonight by a friend that can't find a dog sitter. I feel guilty I can't step up and help her out but I cannot stay at her house for the 18 days, I'll loose it in another environment, and I can't go over and let this dog out 2x a day either. I won't be able to think of anything else. I feel so fragile without all my stuff I do to be ok. I'm upset over thinking about this too much my head is hurting. I've been going crazy thinking of alternatives, people for her to ask, every possible thing in the world and it doesn't have anything to do with me. I never even hint with anyone that I am a possible choice for house sitting or pet watching. I can't do it, I get frozen and don't follow through or do dumb shit like leave their doors open, or let their animals run off. I can't take on anything that complicates my life or I flip out and everything gets messed up. I've found a way to live that keeps me working and in society, somewhat, and if I step out of it everything turns crazy.

After reading the last post I remembered I want to wash my bathroom rugs. I guess I go deep clean the bathroom and hope it gets me back to ok. I feel retarded and scared, stupid it is nothing, fleeting thoughts about su over it...f**king ridiculous.

I'm sorry my font is small but I can't make myself make it any bigger. Please don't bitch at me for it.

:(

"I do the counting thing"

- omg ive never known anyone else that does it! does it drive u mad? sometimes i do it on my fingers so i know its right, and i just wanna chop my finers off!

fucktheworld - u shouldnt feel pressured into helping ur friend, if it would make u feel uncomfortable, have u explained to ur friend, u wouldnt have to say about ur ocd, just say that u dnt like stayin in other ppls houses!

x

"I do the counting thing"

- omg ive never known anyone else that does it! does it drive u mad? sometimes i do it on my fingers so i know its right, and i just wanna chop my finers off!

fucktheworld - u shouldnt feel pressured into helping ur friend, if it would make u feel uncomfortable, have u explained to ur friend, u wouldnt have to say about ur ocd, just say that u dnt like stayin in other ppls houses!

x

Yeah it drives me mad!!! I count letters, nummbers, words!!

I recently have developed a new habit. I color code my clothes in my closet with hangers. I.e. green shirt - green hanger, pink shirt - pink hanger, black shirt - black hanger and so on. Hard, because I don't all the colors of hangers for all my shirts.

I have this bad habit. When I am freaking out or very upset and all my peaceful repeat routines don't provide any relief I'll go and start different sweeps and toss things out. If I am upset with a person first I will collect all the stuff I have from them and put it all in one place and then if things don't get fixed the next time I feel bad I'll throw the stuff out or take it to a charity. Sometimes if I am just frustrated in general I will do a sweep of the bathroom, cupboards in the kitchen, the refrigerator, and gather up stuff I haven't used or has been around awhile [not much has been around for long] and toss it out. I hardly have anything left from my childhood or my past because that stuff was swept away long ago, anything that could trigger a memory or a bad feeling.

I think for some reason if I throw it away I will get rid of the bad feeling. I do it with food the worst. If I buy something and I get a stomach ache, or it is bad for me, I will eat it one time and then toss it out. Help..does anyone else do this??

:(

I toss stuff out too, although not so much OCD but rather low patience level I suppose. Have taken perhaps five bags of stuff at least to thrift store just this year alone. Dont' have too much stuff really, at least i don't anymore.

Feels good sometimes to just get rid of all the sh-t in my life that I don't need. Pointless to have it around if it isn't a necessity or I dont use it.

I havnt been dx with ocd but i do litttle things like when i put my trousers on i have to put my left leg in first then my right if i did put my right leg in first ide take it back out quick then put left in if i didnt do it ide feel like something bad was going to happen. when i touch taps i have to touch the hot tap last. i check doors at least 3 times before i go to bed.

Archived