Mental Health Forums

Casualty Bbc1 Tonight

hoodbran1

I dont get the show, as I am in the US. However, from reading everyone ones response I just need to say something.

Just like any illness, mental or not, there is a WIDE range of degrees of severity. I know here in the US drug test is a requirement in most jobs. What if there was mental illness testing? If someone passed that, would you feel comfortable? Would it make a difference? Personally, I would rather have a Doc or nurse that SH and has BPD then one that is an alcoholic or drug addict. If mental illness wasn't such a hush hush "secret", then maybe we would see just how many functioning BPDers there are out their in the world.

Ok, Im dont with my opinion. lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so i just watched casualty, i am not annoyed or happy about the way bpd was dealt with. tbh i didn't even notice ruth had a problem till she hung herself, i work as a support worker and if anything i think it makes me better at the job i understand what its like to need support, i understand others mental illnes and why the sh i don't think that because you have bpd you shouldn't work in a healthcare environment. i think as long as your honest with your employer and have support you'll be fine but hiding it like ruth did and not getting support is only going to lead to break down

I'm trying to find and download the episodes leading up to ruth's hanging. I missed those ones and have just watched this weeks episode on BBC iPlayer. I've searched torrents but they don't seem to be downloading at all. so annoying lol.

So if anyone knows where I can download S22E24+25, please give me a shout.

.... but did not point out Dr Death who is Britain's worst serial killer - yeah I am sure he had BPD too.

Icu_baby, I presume you are referring to Harold Shipman? Why on earth would you think he has BPD??!! I can't think of anyone further from the criteria! If anything he showed narcissicm and anti-social traits, if he had anything at all, as I dont believe that all people who commit very serious crimes have a mental illness. Unfashionable as it is, I think some people are just bad, and do not value human life.

The comment about "doctors are incompetent" is also a bit of a damning and sweeping generalisation isnt it? That is not my experience. And I'd rather have access to doctors than not.

rebeccaborderline

--

It could be that due to his poor impulse control and besides the fact to what extent are such traits "identifiable" or can the "sufferer" keep them largely hidden without other people necessarily being aware of them, and to ponder what we'll never know is fruitless, depending on what direction you look at Doctors, however then you must agree that they are 'either-or' - they HAVE to be incompetent otherwise they would be perfect, again, it's just how you look at it... personally, from my experience, doctors on the majority only serve to be there in part of MY healing process - give me a placebo and miraculously i am healed (generalization) - i wish there was such a thing for this awful condition we all share! lol

Peace ppl:)

H

I'm trying to find and download the episodes leading up to ruth's hanging. I missed those ones and have just watched this weeks episode on BBC iPlayer. I've searched torrents but they don't seem to be downloading at all. so annoying lol.

So if anyone knows where I can download S22E24+25, please give me a shout.

Hey DJ, ive been trying for most part to convert e25 small enough to upload to youtube, if i can get it up there, i'll pm you the link and post it here, how's things going? got some rest??

H

.... but did not point out Dr Death who is Britain's worst serial killer - yeah I am sure he had BPD too.

Icu_baby, I presume you are referring to Harold Shipman? Why on earth would you think he has BPD??!! I can't think of anyone further from the criteria! If anything he showed narcissicm and anti-social traits, if he had anything at all, as I dont believe that all people who commit very serious crimes have a mental illness. Unfashionable as it is, I think some people are just bad, and do not value human life.

The comment about "doctors are incompetent" is also a bit of a damning and sweeping generalisation isnt it? That is not my experience. And I'd rather have access to doctors than not.

rebeccaborderline

Hi Rebecca,

Nice to talk to you again. Sorry I didn't make my post clear., I wrote the post in a rush and actually meant the opposite of how you interpreted my post.

When I was referring to Dr Harold Shipman I was being sarcastic when I said he had BPD to make the point that the worst serial killer in Britain who happened to work in the health profession was not borderline and hence its unfair to somehow suggest that just becuase somehow a person in the mental health profession has BPD is "dangerous" - sorry my sarcasm tone did not come through in writing.

With regard to doctors, I also didn't word myself very well. The point I was trying to get across is that people who are scared of health workers (eg doctors, nurses) who have BPD because somehow they are more prone to cause harm to their patients have an unfounded and irrational fear. I was simply pointing out that in Australia 14,000 deaths occur per year due to medical errors and adverse events in hospital and to focus on one nurse who is supposedly "dangerous" because she has BPD is clearly irrational.

I am a passionate advocate for people with BPD and I get very upset with the way people stigmatise us.

cheers

icu_baby

Harold Shipman did have a personality disorder .Like Rebecca said he probably was a narcissist.

I feel that theres a huge difference between having a Borderline Personality Disorder, and being controlled by it.

I think for anyone still running with the emotions of the Disorder, and that includes suppression, for the high functioning people with BPD. They should be allowed to work if they want to, but not with patients.

icu_baby, I'm not sure if I'm understanding the link between 14, 000 deaths through medical errors, and one nurse with BPD.Is the suggestion that, they cant kill nearly as many as healthy doctors, so therefore they should be allowed to work?

Because I for one would be wanting to reducing the 14,000. Rather than think a few more wont matter.

My view is still that someone with BPD can work in hospitals, but not until they have shown that thy are stable.

I dont think that I have a right to work in a job I may love, at the sacrifice of someone elses life, or welfare. As most cases wont involve killing someone.

But equally, its not all about the patient, its about looking after the person with the BPD. Most people here hate making mistakes. We hate being less than perfect.It can drive us to suicide.

In many jobs if you make a mistake, its not going to harm anyone, in hospital a mistake will harm someone. I dont feel its responsible to put that pressure onto someone who is already suffering.

I dont think there should be stigma etc.... and i want to work with patients in NHS though it would probably be difficult to get fitness for practise as also have bipoalr and was dramatically hospitalised in 2004 for 5 months. However, I do find hte question of wether or not people should quite hard. THe thing is that if a 'normal' person displayed our behaviours etc.. they would not be seen as having te right character for hte job so even though our behaviour is due to illness it IS still our behaviour in a simiilar way that if someone hasnt achieved grade 8 piano cos hteyve been ill, it doesnt alter the fact that they ARE only grade 1.

i have always watched casualty...and this is what i think of the story line

they brought ruth in as a cold hearted, maniupliative, loner who only wanted to get her job done right to get praise from others.

they at times showed her vunrable side when someone showed her attention for just being her, and when she was upset over seing her dad again.

they portayred the lead up to the suicide very well.

then it all goes wrong!

they threw the dx of BPD about, even tho she not been assessed and is in a coma. they should have either showed her have an assesment and being dx, or just saying well she withheld the dx from us, to make it clear it was an actual dx not just what they assumed.

the way they are showing the staff support even tho ruth was horrid to a lot of them is great.

what i would like to see, is for them to say in it, look this is BPD this is why she acted like this, we should have realuised and helped her, and if anyone has problems, its ok to talk about them, it would only take a few minutes of the prog to do that, and maybe ass a helpline number at the end of the prog...

i think the good intention was there, but they screwed it up at the end

Tray, I agree with you, I felt the build up was done really well.

But you know where you wanted them to show more emotional support, I felt that is what Harry Harper is trying to address, I thought he was arguing that everyone missed the signs Ruth gave, and that the NHS only liked her because she did extra shifts and worked hard, and now shes ill, they are discarding her.

Harry seemed to be in favour of what you have suggested, talkign about thier problems.

Gosh,I'm talking like its real life!!

Tray, I agree with you, I felt the build up was done really well.

But you know where you wanted them to show more emotional support, I felt that is what Harry Harper is trying to address, I thought he was arguing that everyone missed the signs Ruth gave, and that the NHS only liked her because she did extra shifts and worked hard, and now shes ill, they are discarding her.

Harry seemed to be in favour of what you have suggested, talkign about thier problems.

Gosh,I'm talking like its real life!!

what you mean, its not real life! :lol:

Harold Shipman did have a personality disorder .Like Rebecca said he probably was a narcissist.

I feel that theres a huge difference between having a Borderline Personality Disorder, and being controlled by it.

I think for anyone still running with the emotions of the Disorder, and that includes suppression, for the high functioning people with BPD. They should be allowed to work if they want to, but not with patients.

icu_baby, I'm not sure if I'm understanding the link between 14, 000 deaths through medical errors, and one nurse with BPD.Is the suggestion that, they cant kill nearly as many as healthy doctors, so therefore they should be allowed to work?

Because I for one would be wanting to reducing the 14,000. Rather than think a few more wont matter.

My view is still that someone with BPD can work in hospitals, but not until they have shown that thy are stable.

I dont think that I have a right to work in a job I may love, at the sacrifice of someone elses life, or welfare. As most cases wont involve killing someone.

But equally, its not all about the patient, its about looking after the person with the BPD. Most people here hate making mistakes. We hate being less than perfect.It can drive us to suicide.

In many jobs if you make a mistake, its not going to harm anyone, in hospital a mistake will harm someone. I dont feel its responsible to put that pressure onto someone who is already suffering.

ybibiddi, re your comment "Is the suggestion that, they cant kill nearly as many as healthy doctors, so therefore they should be allowed to work?":

Ofcourse I am not saying that, maybe I am not being clear again. I am simply using the statistics to put things in perspective. People are irrationally worried that people with BPD may harm/kill a patient. How many people with BPD have killed or harmed there patients? I just hate the ignorance - people with mental disorders/mentally ill are no more likely to harm anyone (including in a medical setting) than those in the "normal" population. In other words they should be more concerned with reducing system errors/individual mistakes in hospitals to reduce the 14,000 deaths. I mean this figure is alarming. You are more likely to die through systematic hospital error or individual error than die by a "crazy" borderline.

Everyone should be mentally stable and checked in order to work in medical profession. But this applies to everyone and not just for people with BPD. There are alot of unethical professionals out there and they do not have BPD so why target people with BPD so unfairly.

I hope this clarifies things further for you.

icu_baby

icu, thats what everyone has been talking about.

Mental stability, it doesnt matter if its BPD or not.Its just in this case, the woman suffered with it.

Lucy has already highlighted an NHS report that talks about how to gauge stability, it doesnt single out BPD.

ok, we get it, well, i get it... i dont want my original issue to be lost in translation as threads have a tendency to side track, i still maintain that they put this dx on Ruth without asessments - it was coined to help the viewer stats for casualty; to release to the public something that is very misunderstood thus explaining in a way they could not do otherwise, Ruth's apparant borderline behaviour... It makes my life more difficult if i have to tell someone what i have with shows like casualty, which to a degree im disappointed in as ive always like it, well, as in any business the cheapest playwright gets the lead huh, shame on the author of that show!.

Hoodbran, I agree, they do seem to have reached the diagnosis without assessments. But as they worked with her, and had read her diary, I think its fair of them to reach that conclusion.

Personally, I see it as a good thing Casualty showing her with BPD. She is intelligent, pretty, hard working, and people like her, even though she had difficulty with personal relationships. If you looked at Ruth, or saw her working you wouldnt guess she was so ill. Normal people can have mental health problems.

I like that fact that they often have mental health story lines. I feel that it helps take the stigma away from it.

It also seems that Ruths story line isnt over, so more about BPD may be disclosed.

Heres hoping.

Personally, I see it as a good thing Casualty showing her with BPD. She is intelligent, pretty, hard working, and people like her, even though she had difficulty with personal relationships. If you looked at Ruth, or saw her working you wouldnt guess she was so ill. Normal people can have mental health problems.

I agree :rolleyes:

that is so true! - i often go about my day to day things in a normal way, not appearing to anyone to have anything, and i sympathise with Ruth, i get how she was right before she made the attempt to hang, looking up at her salvation and finishing her note, problem with me; even though im a man, Ruth's got more minerals than i do... thanks everyone for the replies, i was an interesting topic, continue if you like damn im so alone.

i think this thread has v=been great, pity the makers of casualty\couldnt see it and our responses...any chance we can get it emailed to them?x

hoodbran, I'm feeling that I've missed something.

I do want to understand.

How has the programme related to you?

Does your feeling of being alone echo in this thread?

What do you mean by Ruths got more minerals than you?

I watched all the relevant episodes of casualty and when Ruth was found hanging I suspected straight away it was BPD as I saw similarities with myself. She wanted to be the best and if she wasnt the best she was the worst. That thinking has caused me to attempt suicide so a good diagnosis I'd say.

Archived