Mental Health Forums

Does Christmas Make You Sad?

hummm_mabbe

As much as this upsets me, and we all have our different reasons for not liking this time of year, every year I tell myself, "I am not alone with this pain". For me, this is the first year I really know I am not alone with this pain.

I wish I could make it all great for us all, as we all do. But, reality such as it is, I am glad to know I am not the only one.

I hope the season passes quickly, and maybe, just maybe it will be different for some of us this time that do find it painful. May santa bring us friends, hope and ease our bad experiences.

Fairy xxx

As Fairy says, for whatever reason many of us find Christmas hard, and for lots of different reasons. Some of us want the company...some of us desperately don't...I'll be checking in on crimbo morning to wish everyone a happy day. Hope we can all spare some time to get on here to check in on each other.

Stevie, i was so sad to read your post. You obviously want to share you christmas with someone. It sounds like you have friends to buy presents for; might any of them be free for a few christmas day drinks? It doesn't have to be the full blown dinner (sounds like you might be a rather good cook so maybe best to save all that delicious cooking for yourself!). Lots of pubs are open for a few hours on christmas day so why not get out and have a drink...it doesn't matter if you're on you own, i'm sure there will be people willing to involve you in their celebrations. Kirk and I went over to our local on our own last year and the atmosphere was lovely and everyone wanted to chat to eachother (even i didn't mind it and had a nice time). We met lots of people we'd never seen before, many on their own. Sorry, i don't want to sound patronising or tell you what to do....just trying to think of ways to help you enjoy your christmas. If you're any good at cooking a turkey then you're more than welcome to head over here cos i ain't got a clue!

Gah. I hope i haven't sounded preachy.

Yeah, that was preachy and telling you what to do and all the things i didn't want it to be. Sorry. Still, the offer still stands if you know how to cook a turkey for 10 :unsure:

Yeah, that was preachy and telling you what to do and all the things i didn't want it to be. Sorry. Still, the offer still stands if you know how to cook a turkey for 10 :unsure:

It wasn't to me. That might be something I should do, go to some place and enjoy it with a group of people I've never met before. Sounds cozy, just need the guts to walk into some place *gulp*.

Am I the only one who's never walked into a bar/coffee place or whatever on her own?

According to an ex I am lonely cause I've never done that type of thing - that's how you make friends....

Would like to know if this is the key. The magical key to seas of friends and laughs and gay golly times!?

My husband does it all the time (although he is an annoyingly perfect specimen of mental health) and meets loads of interesting people. I am tring to learn from him. People really are a lot more friendly than you think....esp around christmas. Maybe ave a few drinks for dutch courage before you go (not too many!!!) and give it a try.

Rain, I was well into my thirties before I EVER did things on my own. eg eating in a cafe, on a train etc

Still dont think I could cope with a pub on my own.

Think you are doing mega well

now i dont have a prob going places on my own, bar's etc, still have issue's sometimes eating out

but i prefere to go to a bar alone, where no one knows me, so i can be whatever i want...

Christmas makes me sad, because it reminds me oh how much easier things were when I was a kid living at home. No work, no stress, no worries, and I wasn't a mess like I am now.

Archived