Mental Health Forums

Medications- Do You Take Yours?

Benway

Taking meds.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take yourmeds as directed by yr doc?

• yes, always.
    • When i remember to.
    • I don't take some of my meds, due to side effects.
    • I only take the meds i 'like'
    • I am not prescribed meds anymore.
    • I have not been offered meds by the system yet.
    • No, i don't take my medication(s) i am prescribed

You've missed one category.

I was on permanent meds for 12 years; now I only have crisis meds at home and an open prescription if I run out (although I have to inform my GP).

On permanent meds I would be compliant for a while, then stockpile and OD, so eventually was only allowed either depot meds, or max. 3-7 days prescription at a time

Paradoxically, now I have crisis meds at home and dont have to fight for them (thanks to a lovely new Aussie-surfer type GP!) I feel very little need to take them. Kind of gone off pills for life, even paracetamol

reb

i do a similar thing where i ask for medication, get put on them, take it for a few months, stop taking it but still pick up the prescriptions, and then hoard it for od's.

i usually stop picking up the prescription after a while because i feel a bit guilty for making them write out the prescription then not taking them.

happens over and over.

i'm not on meds not because i dont need them anymore, or they dont work for me, i'm not on them because i end up refusing to comply and my pdocs' arent going to force what i dont want.

You've missed one category.

I was on permanent meds for 12 years; now I only have crisis meds at home and an open prescription if I run out (although I have to inform my GP).

On permanent meds I would be compliant for a while, then stockpile and OD, so eventually was only allowed either depot meds, or max. 3-7 days prescription at a time

Paradoxically, now I have crisis meds at home and dont have to fight for them (thanks to a lovely new Aussie-surfer type GP!) I feel very little need to take them. Kind of gone off pills for life, even paracetamol

reb

thats a bit where i am. i take my adhd meds, although have days off when i feel like it, up them a little when i feel like it. but other than that i cant touch meds of any kind. i have evry abnormal reactions to most meds, even antibiotics and pain meds, common for adhd, many meds dont affect me at all but give me horrid side effects. i dont like swallowing pills either, it really bothers me. but i still tend to have a heap of stuff in the house just in case. i really feel for everyone stuck on heavy duty stuff, i know i couldnt cope if i needed to take them, you guys are bravex

I have a pill box which I fill up every Sunday and so my meds are organized and difficult to forget.

Alongside prescription medication, I take Vitamin B12/6 for my hormonal moods which DEFINATELY have an effect, and Omega Oils to keep my brain oiled.

(Before I went on medication and during times when I stopped) I used to keep a mood diary, just a couple of sentences written at the end of each day to track my overall moods.

I found this an extremely proactive way to 'recognise' any serious long term downhill slopes I was on and would get back to teh doctor BEFORE I reached crisis point. It worked over the years but recently I stopped keeping the diary, and lo and behold, having been medication free for 6 months, and not tracking my moods, I got to the doctor a little too late. I reached major crisis before I could prevent some of it but now I'm back on the meds and after two weeks feel remarkably better.

It is difficult to continue therapy and striving to get better when I lose perspective on the long term patterns of my feelings as a result of being medication free, so the diary, small and easy to just note overall feelings for ecach day has helped me miraculously in the past to keep a proper proactive interest in my day to day life.

Hope someone may find this useful also. It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived