Who Thinks Bpd Is A Lifelong Illness

Ruth24

Who thinks BD is a lifelong illness?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. who thinks BPD is a lifelong illness

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

I believe that I could answer "yes" and "no" to the poll(chose "yes"). I you asked me a year ago, I would have said that it's beatable. For the past while, I'd have said that it is recurrent.

Borderline Personality "Disorder" - As disorders are defined by a lessened ability or inability to function in social/work/etc. settings, I'd suggest that the "disorder" can be controlled. As well, I believe that the fractured personality is a permanent scar, left by a very deep wound.

I also believe that it completely disappears, aprox. 12 hours before Alzheimer's/dementia sets in! :D

What if we don't feel tormented inside? I mean, I still have issues (obviously) from being abused, but I feel pretty good a lot of the time. I'm not playing up. I actually do feel a lot better. It's not as if anyone is happy 24/7 and completely issue-free.

I am positive that my upbringing did cause mine (although I'm sure there were biological factors to begin with).

What if the underlying thoughts and feelings aren't there anymore or are barely there? Like, to a manageable point.

Edit: Sorry. I like debates. They make me think. :P

I'm with you on liking debates, ocean wolf! : D

I keep wondering, what IS this thing we call "personality"????

I think there are alot of treatments, support and knowledge out there for BPD. I fitted the criteria for diagnoses when I first saw therapist 10 years ago. He said he had diagnosed me 10 minutes after me sitting down. I no longer fit the criteria and Im much improved but I still have down days and sometimes feel like Ive taken 10 steps back. I will always be damaged and carry baggage because of my history but I can still have a good life. I dont consider myself disordered anymore, I need support sometimes. What is noemal? A cycle on a washing machine. I look for a label to define me but I am and we are so much more than that. The kind and caring people on this site prove that. It does get better!!!!

xx

Ok Ok i was wrong. i'm damaged goods. I'm reaching the end of my shelf life in the bargain basement section. I've been reduced to 20p in poundworld. I still won't sell though. Too damaged for anybody to want

Sorry Ruth, just needed a reality check. Not sure whether your last post was aimed at my comments to your question, the statement I made said "I" would feel damaged, I wasnt speaking for anyone else. Hope it wasnt taken in the wrong light.

What if we don't feel tormented inside? I mean, I still have issues (obviously) from being abused, but I feel pretty good a lot of the time. I'm not playing up. I actually do feel a lot better. It's not as if anyone is happy 24/7 and completely issue-free.

I am positive that my upbringing did cause mine (although I'm sure there were biological factors to begin with).

What if the underlying thoughts and feelings aren't there anymore or are barely there? Like, to a manageable point.

Edit: Sorry. I like debates. They make me think. :P

I'm with you on liking debates, ocean wolf! : D

I keep wondering, what IS this thing we call "personality"????

personality in anyone is something that is fluid, dependant on many factors, who we are with, who how we feel at that time, what is expected, etc etc, so it makes sence that bpd is not a permenant thing as personality in and of itself is not fixed or permenant. character is something that can be fixed, but personality is allways changing.

Roxy, that's what I was getting at.....personality can be defined in countless ways and those definitions "spun".

That's why I posted that briggs myers personality test on the other thread...I noticed how many descriptors matched various bpd symptoms and experiences, yet each archetype is considered equally good and there are just as many positive attributes as negative ones for every one!

I also found it interesting how we almost all are introverts. reflect, then act, go back to reflecting again. I for one like this about myself. I've noticed that it exists in my son, too, since he was an infant.

Temperaments, personality types, character features....they are, as Roses says, there to define us from one another. DIVIDE us, one from another. The truth is we are more alike than we are different.

We are all absolutely necessary. We are ok just as we are at this crystallized moment in time.

namaste,

cat

Sorry Ruth, just needed a reality check. Not sure whether your last post was aimed at my comments to your question, the statement I made said "I" would feel damaged, I wasnt speaking for anyone else. Hope it wasnt taken in the wrong light.

No, i'm so sorry. The mini rant was not aimed at you. i sincerely apologise because you thought that

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, i'm so sorry. The mini rant was not aimed at you. i sincerely apologise because you thought that

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ruth, thanks for posting, Im glad I hadnt offended you, was worrying me.

xxxx

my gremlins live deep deep inside, the later ones i can see and the odd one I have been fighting it so much that it is rare for it to trap me.

The others, some from deep childhood haven't been overcome and i only see them after they have done the damage and re-played

least i can see them, that is learning to cope, i think that will be the best i can hope for, my schemas and life traps are in built into me hide deep deep away and they play out in my personality in twisted ways I think some of them always will.

this makes me feel broken but maybe i can still be functional with errors, but errors that don't destroy me and can find some happiness

ian

What the heck. It's a poll.

I don't believe it's ever "cured." I've had it for over 20 years, probably 25. I've worked very hard all of my life and I am so much better, but there are still stubborn areas, old hurts that can still trigger, and skills I don't have down pat yet. All in all I cope much much better, but if Iget lazy, or my meds aren't right, my emotional states get off and I feel the anxiety/depression/aggitation switching around. The moods are much shorter and milder, and if it involves another I can handle myself with them, but the feelings still come. It is still a struggle to process reality sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening, although not born a Borderline, I feel pretty certain that

it is something I will have forever. We learn to control and manage it,

but to actually be cured with no chance of ever "going back" for me would

seem a very big ask.

I can remember behaving in a "Borderline" way while at Primary School,

which is close to 35 years ago, and still have incredibly tough times

today with relationships etc, even after a lot of counselling, and lots

of different meds over the years. Perhaps for some being BPD is not

lifelong, feels like it maybe for me...

I believe it is lifelong because there is not the understanding or help available for most to overcome it within the UK. I speak as a person born in the UK only whose health service for mental health provision is appaling, given that i am forced to contribute a portion of my salary each month to my health provision. Biggest tax scam the British government ever played on the public. And you can't fully opt out !!!) Look at those who have paid taxes through employment and still been forced to sell their homes if they become infirm. The NHS was advertised as 'care from cradle to grave' to these poor conned people.

I think the answer to this question could depend on the individual. For me, I think it'll be a lifelong illness.

I'm not sure. I suppose the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder describe the essence of who I am. It's not all I am, and sometimes I find it difficult to distinguish the parts of me that would come under the diagnostic criteria, and which bits are just *me*. Or does BPD describe the whole of a person?

It is possible that one day, perhaps through personal growth and with time to learn new coping mechanisms, as one does in life, I will no longer fit enough of the criteria to have a diagnosis of BPD. I don't know if that change will take lots of therapy, years of medication, or just someone who will love me. It may be all three.

I will always struggle with those unsure and confused aspects of my personality. The bits of me that doubt and second-guess myself. I don't think I'll ever be *cured* persay, but I think... I hope... that one day I'll be "recovered" - as in the recovery model of mental illness - "the ability to live a meaningful life whether in the presence or absence of mental illness".

Is anyone cured of a personality disorder? Ever? We all have traits of stuff. Things about ourselves that cloud our decisions. Uncertainties. Ugly bits. Compassionate bits. Where do traits really become a disorder?

I've confused myself, as usual :/

<!--quoteo(post=392326:date=Jun 9 2009, 02:02 AM:name=placebo69a)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (placebo69a @ Jun 9 2009, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=392326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must believe BPD can be treated because if I don't I'd rather be dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I so agree with you.

I agree too. Can't see me running down the street naked and bleeding holding a mobile phone screaming down the phone to crisis, while I chase after current boyfriend with a blade beggin him not to leave me.... when I'm 70 years old!! LOL. So it MUST get better sometime in our lives!!!

BTW That was a true example taken from one of my life histories around 23 years old. I'm already too embarrassed to strip in public again as I've put on a few pounds so even circumstances are changing my behaviour...slowly lol

Have to add that was before I was diagnosed. When I was diagnosed at 32 I suddenly became aware that there was a reason for my madness which at least partially helped me understand myself a bit. In therapy now and getting better all the time so here's to hoping!

Hi, i know this question is very debatable. i am of the opinion that if i no longer have the criteria for BPD I can view it as in remission:therefore I don't have it anymore. Once in remission it is unlikely to come back because of the skills taught to control it. Emotionally we are stunted, but i believe that we can continue to grow if given the right help. Because it is a personality disorder it is always going to be there? i believe our personalities change over time, therefore why should the personality disorder not change over time too?

What do you think?

Well, i'm 58 years old and it has been so far. I figure i've got another 20 to go so i'll let you know then.

Archived