Mental Health Forums

Muic That Makes You Feel Powerful Emotions

hummm_mabbe

A song can be chirpy or sad and mellow, but it doesn't always make me feel like that. Even a chirpy song can make me cry cos ir brings back sad memories and a depressing song can make me smile cos it brings back happy memories.

I tend to relate music with memories

I love connue francis cos my mum played her music when i was very small. When i was in Aberdeen and happy.

Pink floyd reminds me of my hub cos he bought me an album when we were at uni, so it makes me angry now

Some songs i listen to, yes, the words are important.

But most of the time music takes me back to good or bad times or people that i love or dislike (i don't like using the word hate, because i truly believe i don't hate anybody) except maybe the lockerbie bombers!!!! Glad that case is being reopened

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Electro Shock Blues by Eels.

The whole album that song is from is amazing. I think most people who have had issues with mental health can relate to it. When I first heard it, it was both incredibly sad and very comforting. The 'Beautiful Freak' album is also fantastic.

theres part of me that stays well away from triggering music, and part of me that craves it. however everything has to be intelligent, i hate lyrics that mean nothing. art can be one of those mediums where its very easy to throw away feelings rather than deal with them, and the vulnerable part of me most definately gets triggered by this transference, this part prefers 'safey' songs that trigger emotions that are familar, gene olypian, radiohead creep, velvet underground im set free, the other side craves the uncontrolable and difficult stuff to be set off, manics despair to where, life becoming a landslide and suicide is painless usually does this, almost like s/i for me.

however, i much prefer literatue, especially poetry, far more evocative and carries more depth and resonance for me. for me i find poetry evokes emotions that are much more significant for me, much more real to what i already feel inside, where as music i generally find is either full of transferences or merely soothing and calming to know that others can feel the same and find the words

I'm with walker on this one I think. Mad World completely floors me every time. It's one of those that if it comes on a shuffled playlist, I have to stop and listen to the whole thing and then hit repeat. The lyrics still remain as my favourite of all time. I think it's obvious how it makes me feel and how it would make anybody feel. Truly and amazing piece of music and lyrics.

Anything by Sigur Rós. Every track of theirs is linked to something different in my life. I'm without a doubt obsessed with them. They'll always be a perminent fixuture of my being.

As for feel good music, well I'm a bass addict. Electro House, Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Progressive Trance - all awesome stuff! However, don't make the mistake of thinking this is the complete cheeeeeese you hear on radio, those kinda dance tracks are just wrong :)

----

Particular artists and bands:

Sigur Rós

Blue Foundation

Enigma

Massive Attack

Dustin O Halloran

Jose González

Pendulum

Prodigy

Wolfgang Gartner

Deadmau5

Armin Van Buuren

Particular songs and tracks:

Sigur Rós - Svo Hljótt

Blue Foundation - Eyes On Fire

Dustin O Halloran - Opus 23

Jose González - Heartbeats

Wolfgang Gartner - Fire Power :P

Wolfgang Gartner - 5th Symphony :P

Deadmau5 - Ghosts And Stuff :P

Peace, Lance

Oh and Jason Donovan - Any Dream Will Do...that song haunts me to the point of paranoia. The reasons date back to school, particularly nativity plays. God even typing the track name out gives me shivers.

Peace, Lance

Just have to say, - Lance - Sigur Rós - *biiiig thumbs up* =) Beautiful music, very emotive for me too. =)

Crip x

sad songs-

Don't want to niss a thing by Aerosnith (no idea why, I just sit crying wheneber I hear it)

Heart Will go on by Celine DIon (I hate this song, always hae)- it was played on repeat at ny "Aunty's" (not really an aunty) funeral and it floored ne

Happy songs

I'll be your nirror by Lou Reed - such a pretty pretty song with gorgeous lyrics

So far away by Carole King (depending on how I feel, either snile or cry)

Ny Nonster and Ne (excuse the letters please- broken key board!) by Eels- so pretty.

Also, I find nost songs by leonard Cohen cheer ne up, ironic I know!

Avril Lavigne - I'm With You... reminds me I'll go with anyone (I mean ANYONE)if they care enough to show me the way.

Sad ain't it.

interesting thread, with some great choices already listed :)

im a bit strange in that the same song that makes me sad one day, can make happy or even chill out the next....i think it all depends on how im feeling as to how i interpret the lyrics. these are the current choons for me:

james taylor - fire and rain

plummet - damaged

anything by buckcherry

sash! - mysterious times

edwin starr - h.a.p.p.y radio

bonnie tyler - total eclipse of the heart

human league - dont you want me

a very mixed bag ill admit.....but maybe thats indicative of me! lol!

Some songs that i can think of are:

Somewhere over the rainbow - sadness

My immortal by evanescense - sad

Karma killer robbie williams - anger

Bodies by drowning pool - abuse

Hurt by Johnny cash

Forever young by meatloaf

Unintended and stockholme syndrome by muse

Could make a HUGE list lol xx

I only really enjoy music that makes me feel powerful emotions. Current favourites are:

*Don't Cry- Guns N Roses

*Beautiful- Eminem

*Breathe Me- Sia

*I Know It's Over- The Smiths

*Down In A Hole- Alice in Chains

*Love is a Losing Game- Amy Winehouse

*Love Will Tear Us Apart Again- Joy Division

*Pardon Me- Incubus

*I'm Not Okay- My Chemical Romance

*Ordinary World- Duran Duran

*Save a Prayer- Duran Duran

*Poison- Alice Cooper

*Africa- Toto

Also Pretty much anything by Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Jimmy Eat World or Placebo ^_^

Oh god, I would have posted here earlier if I hadn't been mia for the past 6 weeks or so...

Anyway...the list of music that makes me feel strong emotions is quite frankly endless. Here's some stuff that immediately comes to mind:

Kreisler - Praeludium and Allegro I used to be able to play this...it without a doubt is the most meaningful piece of music in this list for me. I dreamed of playing this piece for years and years...it meant so much to me by the time I finally began studying it. It's at 2:23 where the real action begins (though the whole piece is amazing). I finally played it in 2006 and used it as an audition piece for my university orchestra.

Radiohead - Like Spinning Plates (live)

Opeth - To Rid The Disease

Porcupine Tree - Collapse The Light Into Earh (If this doesn't give you goosebumps...you aren't human)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason :))

Blonde Redhead - For The Damaged

Choking Victim - 500 Channels (long story for this one...definitely more about the story how I came across it, rather than the song itself)

Nick Drake - Things Behind The Sun

Pixies - Where Is My Mind This is one of those songs that brings back memories...even if you haven't ever heard it before. How could you not love it?

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea So hipsters have latched onto this album, declaring it the epitome of "indie" greatness. Fuck them and fuck the naysayers too. This song and the album are great...let's embrace its greatness without putting it on an "indie rock" pedestal.

Agalloch - Not Unlike The Waves Metal is becoming more and more a part of my life...it deserves a place in this list...I think this is accessible to any open minded fan of music

Bach - Partita no 2 for solo violin - Chaconne

Beethoven - Violin Concerto I'm not going to bother with links. If you like orchestral compositions or violin music, give it a listen if you haven't already. It's an incredible piece of music and without a doubt one of the greatest violin concertos ever. I've listened to 6-8 interpretations of it (and played 75% of it myself). My favorite interpretations are Heifetz, Hahn and Mutter.

ETA

Two more album-closers Can't believe I forgot either

The Mars Volta - Televators

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) Greatest music video ever IMO accompanied by a truly great song played by a truly great band

Archived