• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua

• Roses

• Dani

• <Sophie>

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that it is useful for new people that come her to be able to identify a staff member, But surley its enough when you look at the bottom of the page and see the different coulored names, hover over them it tells you, click on them it tells you, see you posts in a thread it tells you they are staff

Someone posted earlier on about a them and us mentailty, i think the avatar does that all on its own.

Better gilltered, sparkly, pink, soften, no its better to have the avatar you chose because its about you, that tag underneath mine says sponsor and the staff ones say that

Lucy

Good way to de-personalise people though? Take away their character, personal 'spark', 'edge' and turn them into uniform borg's that all follow the same script and then blame us because they feel different.

No disrespect, but I don't think think the Staff avatar does take away the persons character. There are several ways a member can express their personality, personally I think that is what members profiles are for.

I think that when you become a Staff member here, you are representing this site and therefore must identify yourself clearly, [staff] correct me if I am wrong but clearly this is what the serior staff are trying to achieve. As I've said previously, they are to emphasise who is who, for the benifit of new members mainly, surely we can respect that, they are not there to insult our intelligence.

DaddyJ there is a tag beneath everyone's avatar clearly stating the persons role on the forum though right? Yours says member, mine I think says VIP Sponsor and the staff's ones say Moderator, Mini Mod, Supervisor etc...?

I personally don't care about the avatars hence why I didn't post yes or no, it just doesn't bother me, what does bother me is the Staff saying this topic separates us and them, when clearly it is not the members here that have separated us and them.

I used to be a mod, I know how it feels, but seriously the us and them thing was at the time my OWN issue and perception, I can see that now I have been able to distance myself from the role, it is not the members that are separating themselves from the mods at all, but the mods own perception, they used to be able to join in and have a laugh with members and now there are new rules, not that they can't still chill out and have a laugh, but they feel the new boundaries that come with the position, and that although in some ways there is more freedom, in others there is less freedom than an average member. But that is their issue to deal with and come to terms with, and if they can't handle it then they have a choice to give up their position and rejoin the ranks so to speak. I personally felt that my desire to help the forum and Josh was more important at the time than my desire to feel I fitted in with the members and so didn't want to resign my position, but that meant I had to just learn to get a handle on not feeling as though I fitted in and the limitations of my position.

Indeed there is a tag beneath our avatars, but put yourself in the shoes of a new member, who was new to the internet, or who has never used an online forum, would you know what a Moderator was? Would you recognise them as a Staff member? It is not there to insult our intelligence, but to help those who are new to this, surely we can look past that and put up with it for the sake of those members to whom it will benifit.

I was a Mod too, and was once an Admin of my own forum. I know where Josh is coming from here by permitting these new avatars. Staff are just abiding by the rules that are set for them as a Staff member, as I say, when you become a Staff member you are representing this site, they are not trying to distance themselves, or push anyone away. If a member has been made a Moderator, they are put in a role that requires them to help proctect the forum and it's members. They have not changed as a person and can still indeed join in and have a laugh just as much as a regular member, they are just required to be more assertive, surely as a former Mod you can understand that.

Yes, that was what I was saying, but we as members are not viewing them in the way the staff think we are, the staff are the ones saying that we have separated us from them, I'm saying no one has done that and it is only the mods own feelings of insecurity and of feeling different that makes them think we have separated us from them when in reality we have not. I still like the mods the same as I did when they were members, I don't feel any differently about them and I've not heard or seen anyone else treating them any differently either. And yes when I was a mod my perception when someone attacked me was that they were using me as a scape goat because I was a mod too, but I know now that was only my misinterpretation of the situation, and in fact those people were attacking lots of other people, not just the mods, that they had anger issues or whatever and just attacked anyone that perhaps did or said something that they felt threatened by, regardless of the position held. I just think it is important to recognise that in order to keep some kind of perspective on things and not take it personally. Does that make sense?

That does make sense. :)

I am not sure I can elaborate more on what has been said. I know everyone has their opinion on the matter and I respect each and every one of them. I just hope this issue is resolved soon. I'd hate to see this community divided.

Good way to de-personalise people though? Take away their character, personal 'spark', 'edge' and turn them into uniform borg's that all follow the same script and then blame us because they feel different.

I'm not depersonalised at all. I have a great new signature which expresses my personality-and yes, it needs to be shrunk, but i'll do that another day. Also, i don't feel any different at all. I still have my problems like everybody else, and i felt in crisis today and posted about it. I don't feel any different, i am no different.

Ruthie

x

Well, at least everyone managed to get their feelings off their chests, even if they didn't get a straight answer. Perhaps next time it would be a better idea to talk to the people first? Just a thought, if this is a democracy.

Well, at least everyone managed to get their feelings off their chests, even if they didn't get a straight answer. Perhaps next time it would be a better idea to talk to the people first? Just a thought, if this is a democracy.

Such a chip it seems to me....

And I have never stated anything about a democracy. Your words...

Um, to be honest I wasn't looking for a fight or anything, I was looking for an explanation however my questions (and the questions of others) weren't answered. It just seems that things happen round here with little consultation or anything. Even if you'd just said we are doing this because of X, Y and Z and then did it, then it would make people feel that they are valued and part of a community and we are all pulling the same cart so as to speak. I know I have a chip on my shoulder. It was firmly in place before I ever came on here. I know I can be haughty and unpredictable and a down right bitch sometimes but I really, deeply care for people wherever I am in life and I only ever speak out when I feel it's necessary and I'm willing to put my neck on the line for what I believe. I don't always get it right and I know I have pissed people off here many a time and I'm sure the knitting circle on here has plenty to say about me. But I honestly believed I was part of something greater here and that 'community' was what kept me going. Now I have nothing as I have lost my faith and I know it's not anyone's fault but my own but that is the way of it. So now I am just a bitch. That is all that is left.

You don't want much then Roses huh? Give this place a break if you need to but you and the others on here who slag the place off.... if it wasn't here... what would you do then huh? BLAME people for it? Oh yeah, I remember now, the problem is with you so whereever you go there you'll be right so if it wasn;t this place getting the brunt of your negativity it would be something or somewhere else....?

Yes, I see how you have chosen to label yourself.

This place is what its always been and it seems change has come from within you.

Things could be better with me consulting you all etc about things but to be honest i dont have the time and things rarely change all that often. I offer what I can and do the best im able considering my commitments.

OK I backed off on your thread so you back off here. My anger is not EVER directed at people like that. I act 'in' not 'out'. Obviously I'm not perfect and I have rows with hubbie and that but not in any great BPD kinda way. I am talking in a confined thread here and I am keeping it on topic as much as I can. Please do the same.

OK Josh, then I will end this conversation. I was only talking bout one issue here I am not slagging off the site in general or anyone within it. So whoever has a huff with me for wanting to talk about this please don't waste your energy there are much more important things to worry about. I do not understand what label I have given myself though. I have never labelled myself.

Re-read it and sorry midunderstood, yeah I'm a bitch.

Archived