Mental Health Forums

How Old Is Everyone?

Wanting2BNormal

I am 42

I wanted to edit this because of all the thoughtful responses above me. I didn't know I had BPD until just a few weeks ago. My whole life things seemed to have been getting "better" as far as what the symptoms would be, until recently when it crashed again. I suppose I will always crash until I cannot get back up again.

Doctor who saw me last said i was admitted for suicidal thoughts on 2/1, released on 2/9 but could be back to work by 2/16. Without any therapy or treatment of any kind. I guess I will have to just adjust to the idea that this is how things will go for me and for people like me with this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every day is a new day though, so also a new beginning. Tomorrow is my first day at college, and I have sent off my application for funding for the OU, it's a start.

Good luck Sioux, hope the first day was well.

i'm 27, and i've definitely improved with age. i would say that the depression is actually worse, lasts longer, and i have more panic attacks. i started dissociating at about 22 when a serious relationship broke up. but the bpd behaviour is definitely less than it was. i've actually managed to stay in one place for 6 months which is a miracle for me! and while the actual depression is worse, i'd say i have more good days now than i used to, and the inbetween non-good but non-depressed days are much better too.

i think a lot is to do with confidence. i was so shy and awkward as a child, and now i feel much more comfortable with who i am.

I'll be 28 in April. In some ways I feel like I've gotten better, in other ways it feels worse. When I was 19 and in my early 20s I had a hard time with binge drinking and self inflicted injuries. I had severe depression to go along with the BPD and after a suicide attempt spent some time in a mental hospital. I no longer feel the urge to cut myself and have noticed the binge drinking/eating has decreased a lot. I don't think about suicide anymore and my day isn't spent crying.

In some ways I feel that I've gotten worse. I have no patience or tolerance. I don't get along with people. It's so bad that I find it very difficult to maintain a job. I'm currently searching for a career that will allow me to work alone but that's difficult. My fiance knows I suffer with BPD and he's very supportive - I feel so lucky. He's introverted so he's happy with us not maintaining close friendships and spending our weekends alone. He and my children are my biggest motivators to get better. They're my world and I want to be a good wife/mother. I don't want to treat my children the way my mother treated me. I believe she suffered from BPD when I was a kid. She's in her 50s now and seems to be much better. I still see signs of BPD in here on occasion but for the most part she seems to have calmed down a lot. That gives me hope.

Hi all, (love this site but the way) :)

I'm 24....and I would say it's got easier as I've got older (I've been suffering since I was 15) but I would say it depends on the person. It's only got easier for me over the past year because of the sheer effort I have but into practicing the techniques learnt in therapy as well as being sick of the same things happening - being happy, then depressed, then suicidal, then happy, then depressed and so on.

However the fact that I also have OCPD makes me obsessed with getting things right so while my BPD has improved my OCPD hasn't. However I shall fight on, lol.

One thing I've realised is having a realistic goal (even if it small) is very important and not putting your self in situations that you know will trigger you is very helpful too. x

Hello. I am 25 and I am so much better than what i was 5 years ago! I am really starting to take control of things and have just started DBT. I think a lot of it is because i still think of me as 'me' not me as 'having BPD'. I know it might not work for everyone, but thankfully is helps me :)

approaching 23, and I am still up and down. Sufferer of dx since childhood, and BPD since about 17, lets hope things pick up!

Hi, I’m coming up to 35th birthday and I’ve had BPD, OCD and other things for about 20 years. I found it has got worse over the years, but then again I never faced it till about four years ago – was just trying to get on with life but it didn’t work, used SH to get through the day and many different meds from the doctors, it was after I ended up in a mental hospital that I knew I needed to face it. One good thing is they have now found new meds for me which seem to work but make me sleep a lot.

I still SH but haven’t tried killing myself for four years, don’t get me wrong the thoughts are there, but I keep fighting!

Whilst I've always displayed mercurial characteristics, I didn't start being "proper-nutty" until last summer following a traumatic break-up which simply got worse over the rest of the year.

Somewhat better so far this year but I still crash pretty hard and get "thoughts". No idea how I'm going to be in a few months or a few years time because I have no idea wtf is going on up there!

p.s;- Data, your answer site is busted as it carries on after 2012

I am 31, diagnosed at 28, although my Psych said had I of ever had psychological 'intervention' I would of had a diagnosis in my mid-teens as that is when I displayed all the classic signs and symptoms. At the time of my diagnosis I had a complete 'break-down' requiring hospitalisation and the past three years of my life have been a blur to be honest. :(

A mental-health nurse told me in one of my admissions that I will not be a senior citizen who still self harms. Fuck, I hope she is right, although I haven't SH for quite some time, I do still think about it often.

I'm 19, and only recently accidentally stumbled across BPD, but I fit the criteria. I've been having symptoms and stuff since as far back as I remember.

I don't remember my childhood though, the only 'memories' I have are from videos. In fact I don't remember

much till around middle school (well around the age of 14/15) but my memory is still very bad.

I forget a *lot* and recall only minor, unimportant things.

x

I am soon to be 46... only found out about bpd recently and it makes so much sense looking back on my chaotic life. It's getting easier , yes.... Part of it is accepting limits and to watch myself under stress. Turning point was CBT and mindfulness 8 years ago.

I'm 18 new to this because they cant diagnose bpd until you're that age, but yeah ive been on anti-d's since i was 15, but i feel like im just getting worse! does it ever get easier?

I'm 18 new to this because they cant diagnose bpd until you're that age, but yeah ive been on anti-d's since i was 15, but i feel like im just getting worse! does it ever get easier?

I was first hospitalised when i was 19, though docs don't like to diagnose personailty disorders in teenagers. I'm 32 and was formally diagnosed with BPD and Bipolar 3 years ago. I went through DBT last year and that helped me to understand and live a bit more coping with BPD. But like my consultant said on Monday, I'll NEVER be 'cured'. I'll just learn to cope more.

im 27...my symptoms r as prominent as ever but im aware of them so therefore have the choice as to what i do with them...that is both a blessing an a curse xxxxxxxx

Hello,

I'm 46. After my first 2 year semi-serious relationship bombed at 25, I went into therapy b/c I was NOT feeling good and I really thought it had to do with me. I was diagnosed with BPD with anxiety and depression and there was no medication at the time ,., only clinical therapy. I did some of that and then I got caught up in partying and sort of forgot about this "illness." I went in and out of therapy every 4 years or so. I took DBT classes around 42 and they really helped a lot for awareness. From there, I was in a stable marriage and could really focus on myself in a safe environment and have kept growing.

Somebody wrote in here that they are still waiting on a decent life. My perspective is that you are in a decent life today. "Getting better" is a long process and in my opinion and how I look at the people in the world, nobody ever gets "cured." Everybody has symptoms of BPD and other disorders if you just look around. What makes us BPD is that these symptoms are a bit more pronounced in us to the DEGREE that they are affecting our lives and the people around us.

My current counselor, I see about every 4 to 6 weeks. She is helping me see root causes, which is shame (not feeling good enough). For me, this manifests in all friendships and relationships. I felt inferior in the past but couldn't really see it until I "stopped running" when I settled down in my 40s.

I hope you don't look at BPD as a life long jail sentence. With all people, life is good and life is painful and life sucks and life is really cool. Don't wait for it to happen to you ... you are already in it.

Life is a long beautiful creek to walk down; it just has a lot of rocks in it that you have to lift up out of the way.

xxx

I'm 27 and have only just been diagnosed - I think i have good days and bad days but overall, I'm not as bad as I used to be. Or maybe its that I'm more numb (which I am, lol)

I feel 25, I don't think my head ever believe it is as old as it is. I certainly don't look my age and I doubt I ever wear twin sets.

Archived