Mental Health Forums

Need Some Advice On Meds Please

Roses

Hiya Roses,

Well done you for coming down off the meds- in a sensible manner. what i mean by sensible is that its not an 'all or nothing' approach- which i have been guilty of in the past-

reductions of 10% are a good guideline to go by. I know thats not practica for some drugs, but there is a lot of info on the web, Dr. Peter Breggin is a highly respected UK psych- and you might be interested in his views- google or youtube him if you like.

also you probably know this but the longer the half - life, the easier it is to wean onesself off a med, for example, when i came off effexor -(very short half life) i switched over to prozac (longest half-life of the anti-d's) to make it less intense.

at my worst i was on 6/7 psych meds in 03-05. a world war could have started and i'd just care about what was for tea.

At the moment i am on 3 meds, and reducing them all very slowly- and i did experience a 'waking up' feeling, i no longer wear make up unless i'm going somewhere special, and i have more energy, a good energy, not a 'hyper' one.

I also found at one stage recently when the emotions started to come thru i needed 1 extra councelling session per week, everything was making me cry, and all these 'emotions' appeared that i must have been repressing with the meds.

It is great that you are in therapy while doing this, personally i couldnt do it without therapy either.

Wishing you every success in your journey Roses, xxx kitteh.

I have a book recommend if you are into it - "Dying for a cure" A womans battle with psychiatric drugs, misdiagnosis and madness,- by Rebekah Beddoe pub.2007,

Rebekah got a bout of post partum depression after the birth of her first child, and this book is a memoir of 3 years in her life after that. I can't praise it highly enough. It's not a depressing book at all, and there is a message of hope to anyone who has been on psych drugs and/or 'the system'.

Thanks Abigail xxxff

And thanks for all the info Kitten xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah I am on about 6 different meds currently. The Tryptofan is the one I managed to come off first as is a fatty acid anyway so not so bad but yeah the lithium is easier than quetiapine so guess quetiapine must have shorter half-life, it's really good to learn this stuff thanks so much! The plan is to be off both of these by end of year (if not before) and yeah I've done the "im coming off them NOW thing and it never goes well. Glad to hear you are past that stage too and yeah without the therapy it prolly wouldn't work so good long term as the behaviour patterns would still be there all the time. I'll look on google and amazon respectively when I get a chance to sit and concentrate (am at day centre at mo). Lots of love A-M and thanks xxxxx

• 3 weeks later...

Well, had psychologist appt today and am ready for another reduction in quetiapine tonight from 75-50mg (woo hoo 75% of way there now). Don't know how I will be tomorrow but I'm hoping it's not as bad as last time. Wish me luck! xxxxx

Archived