Mental Health Forums

Nothing To Do

elle2008

hi.

Right now I'm in a rut as I usually need routine.. I got up early today to go to my appointment and then an hour before I need to go the therapist cancels on me.

I don't go to work as a job is too much for me... I havent been to work for nearly a year and so unless I have a plan for the day I have NOTHING to do.

this means i now feel down and depressed just sitting in the house.every day blends into the other. I tend to go shopping when I can't think of anything else to do, and my debts are huge. I'm fed up of walks. Fed up with life in general.

sigh

I'm gaining weight because if I can't shop, I sometimes cook.

art stuff is a bore to me.. it seems so pointless.

I thought writing on here would help me feel better but I just feel like ending my life :(

any ideas what activities I can do??

sorry this post is so depressing and selfcentred... :(

I've felt exactly the same before. I've only just managed to sustain a job. And i go shopping when i'm bored and have run up huge debts. Do you friends available? Maybe go out for a coffee or for dinner. It's a nice day, go to the park. Or just drive around.

Hello

I havent worked for some time, but for me I find going for very long walks is really good. Lets you think things through, whilst venting off the stress.

Ive also started a regular meditation pracrice, try to do a couple hours a day. There is a looooooong path of discovery you can follow in meditation, and Ive got into that whilst I have the time. Sort of buddhist meditation that is.

I find I dont have any energy for anything that isnt 'recovery' related. I do dabble in learning languages from books and that, but find my motivation fluctuates.

Other than that the internet fills the time. Maybe try downloading series of TV shos off Vuze or bittorrent (but be careful about getting pranged for copyright or going over your broadband allowance!).

Ross

hi,

if u get easily bored without routine, could u do volunteer work, that way when u are having bad day u dont feel like u have to go in, if cant manage but have something to do at times when u need to? that is what my care co suggested.

cad

Hi elle,

I don't work either and sometimes I feel exactly the same way.

However, I volunteer two days a week with a mental health charity. Volunteering can be a great way to get you out the house and keep up some semblance of work. Also, you can tell them about your mental health problems which means if you can't always make it in, they'll understand why.

Other than that I read a lot. And watch movies. If you've got a lot of time on your hands, lovefilm is worth looking into (if you can't download that is) as they have unlimited movie packages.

All the best,

Becca

x

thanks for the ideas guys, meditation is a gd idea ive never thought about before, not that i'd know where to start lol.

theres a mental health charity nearby, i might ask there, i always figured with volunteering you're still kind of obligated to do specific hours, which would be no good as i have to take each day as it comes. but like you said at least with a mental health charity they would understand.

cheers

elle x

oooo... i volunteered with a mh charity and not only did i feel good about doing that i also learned loads - they have courses that volunteers can go on for free :) helped me understand myself a bit better.... :) the one i was with had kinda different type of volunteers depending on what you could commit to, so if is the same then i wouldnt fret too much bout the obligation - i just did what i could when i felt able to :)

if you do have a go, let us know how you get on (if that's ok) and good luck wit it all :)

nah was in Yeovil sadly... it was Mind actually... i did try the local Mind in Havant but they were a lil strange and not as welcomy :( and i couldnt help anyways cos they dint do owt on a saturday and i work during the week...

Dunno what the Pompey one is like tbh...

hi.

Right now I'm in a rut as I usually need routine.. I got up early today to go to my appointment and then an hour before I need to go the therapist cancels on me.

I don't go to work as a job is too much for me... I havent been to work for nearly a year and so unless I have a plan for the day I have NOTHING to do.

this means i now feel down and depressed just sitting in the house.every day blends into the other. I tend to go shopping when I can't think of anything else to do, and my debts are huge. I'm fed up of walks. Fed up with life in general.

sigh

I'm gaining weight because if I can't shop, I sometimes cook.

art stuff is a bore to me.. it seems so pointless.

I thought writing on here would help me feel better but I just feel like ending my life :(

any ideas what activities I can do??

sorry this post is so depressing and selfcentred... :( Hi i know how u feel...i haven't worked 4 mayb 8 years!. 1 day goes into another...days n nights r the same very long and depressing. Iv'e got money troubles 2 ...so i just stay in don't dare go out and spend. I used 2 have a dog so i walked but now i don't even have that...sorry i'm rambling, i don't even have any usefull things to tell u 2 do...really sorry. I supose u just have 2 live with it thats what i do. :blink:

Archived