Mental Health Forums

Do You Hide Your Scars?

*Summer*

Thank you Lucy. I will ask for a blanket next time, would make me feel kind of safer as well. One day I want to show my scars, I don't think anyone here should be ashamed since for me the scars are there because I am (we)trying to cope and live through making our scars. Its good that you were able to ask for your arms to be covered, you have got a stronger sense of what you need than I have when it comes to things (my key worker is screaming lol).

my scars on my legs and arms are quite bad though some are fading, i feel bad and guilty n like a freak with them, i did use to cover myself up, now no i dont, let people talk they are part of whom i am, the people that matter n care dont even notice them now or so they say xx

It totally depends on who I am with.

My partner and close friends have seen my scars but I won't show my parents as they just start bulling me about them and then they make me feel worse :(

I am ashamed of s/hing so hide any signs of recent activity. However I do not cover scars that are silver, i.e. are well over a year old.

However, I wish I had the strength to let the newish scars be on show. I have spent the last 5 years dreaming of being able to go swimming!

heya,

you shouldn't have to cover up your scars but it is generally people who are too nieve or ignorant to find out and just understand the problems that people face.

i wear short sleeves and shorts when im with my boyfriend and my mum and stepdad and brother

but i tend to be less willing to when i am in public.

some people think that they are in danger which i think is pathetic but i just have to get used to it - things have consequences - just a shame that scars dont go away quick enough and we tend to get reminded quite alot which is NOT fair.

lots of love

jennie

xx

Hiya

I dont hide my scars anymore as i am not ashamed of myself, its a coping mechanism for me. If people dont understand and seem off with me i let them get on with it. Take care hun xx

i started cutting within the last year- and covering the cuts and scars depends on who i'm with. around my grandparents and bf's family and when on job interviews, i cover them. but when i'm at school or just running around i don't cover them.no one's really said anything to me or about me that i can tell. my lab partner @ school told me to knock it off, but he said it out of concern.

Archived