Mental Health Forums

Incapacity Benefit Claimants Reassessed

Data

"Incapacity benefit claimants in north-east Scotland and Burnley in Lancashire are to be the first to be reassessed ahead of UK-wide welfare reform." - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11510726

In a nutshell, the article says that everyone who is claiming incapacity benefit/ESA will have to be reassessed with a medical examination using a points system. It says some people will be moved on to Jobseekers Allowance, and that some of those will be encouraged to do part-time work. The mental health charity Mind says that the tests are not accurate. Mind say that over half of benefit claimants have a mental health problem. Later this month, the comprehensive spending review will be published and we will know what the cuts are.

I am not on benefits myself, but I am worried for those who are. Unfortunately when spending is cut, it is the vulnerable who suffer. And what I have heard tallies with what Mind are saying, the tests don't seem that fair for people with mental health problems.

:(

I'm worried, I am on JobSeekers & I wanted to go back on Incapacity Benefit for a while to get myself sorted out, not sure I should bother now.

It is hard enough on JobSeeker, without them adding more people, especially those that are vulnerable & that they know damn well are not capable of working!!! :angry:

Wynter xx

It is a scary article. It always seems that when times get tough it is the most vulnerable that get hit the hardest. Something like this is probably going to happen here in the United States. About the best advice I can give people on benefits is try to live in the present. Try to live one day at a time and try not to think too much about the future. Take care - Detroitguy.

Try to live one day at a time and try not to think too much about the future. Take care - Detroitguy.

Thats very good advice. I try to do that myself.

The system did need to change as there are many people who can work who just don't because they earn more on benefits I am including housing benefits etc in this than a full time wage. Everyone with MH issues is capable of some sort of work, when I say work i do mean voluntary paid etc. BUT I feel that this work must be supported!! I thought thats what the welfare changes proposed but alas it seems not. So MIND are right (for once) that this will affect people with MH issues. and why? cos they need to stop playing the victim to the system and get a job!

The system did need to change as there are many people who can work who just don't because they earn more on benefits I am including housing benefits etc in this than a full time wage. Everyone with MH issues is capable of some sort of work, when I say work i do mean voluntary paid etc.

I disagree here. There are many with mental health problems who would be unable to work because they would simply be unable to concentrate on the tasks set to them, e.g. if they have anxiety or psychosis. Some would not be able to muster the motivation to get out of bed in the morning (e.g. with depression). Others struggle to go through the day without drinking alcohol, which would not go down well in a work environment. Others would find the stress of relationships with their work colleagues too much to bear, leading to conflict in the workplace and a deterioration in their mental health.

BUT I feel that this work must be supported!! I thought thats what the welfare changes proposed but alas it seems not. So MIND are right (for once) that this will affect people with MH issues.

But work is not supported. The "support" is along the lines of "get a job or we'll take your benefits off you". Most employers discriminate against people with mental health problems, they are just not interested in employing people who they will have to support, since that support costs them money in staff time and resources. MIND have done some fairly convincing research that backs this up. I happen to think, personally, that MIND are right about a few things!

cos they need to stop playing the victim to the system and get a job!

I find this highly offensive. I have been in the position of claiming benefits in the past, because my mind was just not in a fit state to do a job. I was not "playing the victim". Mental health problems can be very disabling, just like physical health problems.

cos they need to stop playing the victim to the system and get a job!

I agree with Data, that is completely offensive!

I have been in the position where I have had to receive Incapacity Benefit, because I was mentally & physically exhausted, I was completely unfit for any type of work, voluntary or paid!

People with Mental Health problems are discriminated against and do not just act like 'victim'.

I think it is insensitive to post something like that on a mental health webiste.

Wynter

I already had pathways to work interview which Is because I'm on incapacity and it is a medical. The only option they sent me down was volunteer route giving away I won't be able to have paid job.

Already I am volunteering at a school 5-12 years old. I start Wednesday listening to children read.

I already had pathways to work interview which Is because I'm on incapacity and it is a medical. The only option they sent me down was volunteer route giving away I won't be able to have paid job.

Already I am volunteering at a school 5-12 years old. I start Wednesday listening to children read.

I have been on Pathways to work, that is all they offered me.

Hope the volunteering goes well

Wynter xx

I think that is a bit harsh jess and you are genralising, which something you just cant do when it comes to health. everyone is different, yes there are some who cheat the system, but they are most definatly those who arent just playing the victim and genuinely cant work. maybe not for ever but certainly in the midst of their illness. I have been off work now for 2 years, and i know for sure i couldnt have handle any sort of work during that time. I am now in a better position to start getting my life back, starting college and voluntary work. I dont want to be on benfits for ever if i can help it. but i know when i was at my worst i thought i would never work again and didnt want to either. i think you have to give people a chance, i would like to think that the magority of people are genunine and when they feel ready to return to work or begin even , then they will.....and those that maybe are afriad or myabe work shy, surely giving them they social support and confidence to make them feel they can work is better than just pinning them down to being time wasters and 'victims'

I think that is a bit harsh jess and you are genralising, which something you just cant do when it comes to health. everyone is different, yes there are some who cheat the system, but they are most definatly those who arent just playing the victim and genuinely cant work. maybe not for ever but certainly in the midst of their illness. I have been off work now for 2 years, and i know for sure i couldnt have handle any sort of work during that time. I am now in a better position to start getting my life back, starting college and voluntary work. I dont want to be on benfits for ever if i can help it. but i know when i was at my worst i thought i would never work again and didnt want to either. i think you have to give people a chance, i would like to think that the magority of people are genunine and when they feel ready to return to work or begin even , then they will.....and those that maybe are afriad or myabe work shy, surely giving them they social support and confidence to make them feel they can work is better than just pinning them down to being time wasters and 'victims'

Hi Piuma,

That's really positive what you are doing, hope it goes well.

I agree, Incapacity is there for ppl who are unable to work, and whilst some ppl do take advantage of that, not everyone does. I went on Incapacity because I needed help and time to sort myself out, and once I was ready to come off it, and on to Jobseekers, I got a lot of help & was put on a course to gain my confidence and talk through any issues I had with returning to work.

Wynter xx

that comment makes me so angry, i have worked since the age of 15 i am now nearly 40. i have not worked for the past two years due to a total breakdown although i have tried on many occassions and failed so have given upnow for the time being. i am on income support at the moment about to move onto esa and the comments that we are victims and can help our situations is so much rubbish you are obviously someone without the experiences many of us have had. swap places with us for just one day and then see how it feels to want to die, to have no eneragy to even get dressed, to be so scared of even opening your front door and then tell yourself you can easily get off your bum and go to work you really do not have a clue and i suggest that until you do dont post anymore harmful and self opiniated comments. sorry if this offends but that comment has really made me angry.

well Jessica made a strong statement with no validity and hasn't replied since so I wouldn't put too much faith in her credibility .

This

The system did need to change as there are many people who can work who just don't because they earn more on benefits I am including housing benefits etc in this than a full time wage. Everyone with MH issues is capable of some sort of work, when I say work i do mean voluntary paid etc. BUT I feel that this work must be supported!! I thought thats what the welfare changes proposed but alas it seems not. So MIND are right (for once) that this will affect people with MH issues. and why? cos they need to stop playing the victim to the system and get a job!

well you are entitled to your opinnion...

though i believe that statement to be rubbish.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have similar opinions to jessicarabbit. I think people who haven't reached a point where their MH problems make it impossible for them to hold down a job are ignorant to what we experience. I know I was and it was a complete shock when I had to go off sick the first time. I think most workplaces are not equiped to deal properly with MH problems. My work are pretty unsympathetic and it doesnt help that our HR department are on the other side of the country, but somehow I am still hanging in there.

I hope one day our government wakes up to the reality of the difficulties that people with MH problems face in employment, and does more to help people who genuinely want to work because until they do these problems will continue. Until then I guess people are stuck with waiting to find out what the results of their assessments are. I know its hard but please try not to worry too much guys.

One thing I would like to mention is that I believe the workplace is becoming more competetive in general due to the high unemployment rate and lack of jobs. There was a good article in the newspaper recently here in the USA about how a lot of people with disabilities are the first to be let go when there are job cutbacks. I think probably the vast majority of people including myself on this forum have some type of disability when it comes to working whether they are receiving benefits or supporting themselves. I guess it comes down to how high the government "sets the bar" when it comes to determining disability. Just because someone does not receive disability payments or has had their benefits terminated because they are "high enough functioning to work" does not mean they will not have trouble when it comes to competing with those that do not have mental illness. I am fortunate to have worked a full time job for a number of years but I realize that my employer has had the good heart to accomodate my illness. I was receiving disabilty payments when I was hired. But I also know that if I lost my job for whatever reason that I might have a hard time finding or maintaining another job due to my illness (lack of working speed, fatigue, etc.). I guess what I am trying to say is that all of us on this forum have to struggle when it comes to competetive work and should not be judged - Detroitguy.

Archived