Mental Health Forums

Incapacity Benefit Claimants Reassessed

Data

Yes absolutely. I chose to have a different opinion here where I felt i could say what i was feeling. Apparently not so much. Would it have been better if I lied and just said what others wanted to hear? That i people pleased?

No that is not what I said. Others have different opinions and have expressed them without being insulting, you haven't managed that, on this occasion. Presumably later in your recovery process you will, it is a learning curve I hope.

That sounds very bitter Jessica - is that what this is all about because believe me I would give anything to be a productive human being again. I'm not going to go into my personal circumstances because I know that I am signed off for a very good reason. Every time I speak to my pdoc about trying to work again - she says to give it more time because it will do me more damage than good.

Your responses have really upset me and it feels like a personal attack on all of us here - please try to think before you post.

Maybe one day I will.until then ill just sit in my chair, eat junk, smoke cigarettes, drink vodka, and do nothing else.

Shouldn't this girl be stopped? She is blatantly taking the piss out of us.

Then she'll apologize and then it'll all start again.

OK I would like to make some serious points here, my comments last night were way out there and not truly what I beleive. I was/am angry with the attitude of some not all some people with MH issues. I believe tho everyone is capable of doing something, even if it is an hour a week doing voluntary work. Then building up to something more with support. I didnt say this yesterday as I knew anything I said would be used as ammo against me anyway. So I twisted it to be the baddie

I AM NOT A TROLL. this has hurt me.

I also have MH issues and tend to bite back.

I guess people think Im not really ill, but maybe i have just come a bit further in my recovery than others and I maybe a tad cynical.

I will not apologize for my views, I will however apologize for the two totally out of order statements.

I didnt mean to hurt you, sorry, however, quite frankly, I don't know what you are doing on this thread.

What are you trying to achieve?

Are you aware of the impact your words are having on others?

I should have said 'we have someone behaving trollish in our midst'

You are not your behaviour.

I think some mentally ill people can work, and indeed some want to be given a chance. But, I don't agree that all mentally ill people can work.

What if you're severely agrorophobic and cannot get out of the house? Ok you can get treatment, but what in the meantime, as treatment isnt an overnight thing?

What if your mental illness makes you so confused you have spells when you cannot carry out the simplest of tasks?

What if you deem yourself to be a potential danger to yourself and others?

I know these are 'what-if's' but just as some people are too physically incapactiated to work, some people are also too mentally incapacitated to work.

The thing that needs emphasising is that unlike physical illness, mental illness is invisible to the naked eye. I will underline this, as its important.

If the government keep their promise and recognize, and look after all of the people with incapacitating illnesses, that will ease peoples worry.

I know some mentally ill people who I wouldnt employ if I were an employer, not out of discrimination, but because they are too sick and I wouldnt want to make them sicker.

For those people with mh problems, who want to work, I would get as much support as possible into a job you enjoy. I also hope that doing work will make you feel better.

I personally just want to work because benefits after the changes may not be enough for me to survive on. I am a bit of a bugger for ignoring symptoms of illness, I feel unfit for work, the DWP feel I am unfit for work, but I cannot afford to be unfit for work, so I am going to get support back into work. My care co-ordinator has just signed me up for an organisation, whos services include helping people into paid work. There is also anohter organisation in our area who helps people find work, maybe I am lucky to have these agencies on our area.

If others are not so lucky, yet still feel work would help their recovery, then the DWP organise things to help people back into work, dont just accept what they give, ask specific questions about whatever work you want to do and how to get past the discrimination and into gainful employment.

PS nobody has mentioned the many people who are not stable minded, who ARE in work, our workplace bullies etc

Well maybe not all my fault for having so many opinions on one subject. Sorry for overtaking it tho. How is discussing something childish?

Editing as I am not continuing this rubbish.

This is one of the wisest posts I've read in this argument.

The whole thing has turned into a debate over "useless righteousness". What is that? Well in DBT we are taught, that sticking to our own right to be right, can often cause us more damange than it does good. It does not add to the cause of our being right, doens't change the other persons view or make use MORE right than we were. It only serves to bring down and crush us, including the other party and anyone else involved. It's useless! It's cutting off our own noses to spite our face.

Letting go of it gives you peace. Then you can sit quietly in being right, and others being not so right. You can rest, knowing that you had the truth on your side with out need to prove it or argue it.

Always think, does making this post benefit me, or hurt me? Does it add to my well being? or take away from it? Does it prove my point? or just prolong my grief?

WP

Well maybe not all my fault for having so many opinions on one subject. Sorry for overtaking it tho. How is discussing something childish?

That is how I feel. I do feel insulted. I think I can add my views without them being deemed childish.

Archived