Mental Health Forums

First Visit To Day Unit Today

CrippleAndStarfish

So, after what happened the other night, my care co-ordinator, the consultant psychiatrist that i see from the Community Mental Health Team, the crisis nurse, and the crisis team's consultant psychiatrist has decided that it would be detrimental to admit me into to psychiatric hospital at the moment, as it would interfere with and possibly stop altogether the process i'm mid-way through of getting my own home.

Instead, they've "suggested" (read: worded it like a suggestion while making it perfectly clear that if i don't comply then they'll cart me off anyway for inpatient treatment) that I attend the day unit at the hospital every day for 2-3 hours, and have contact with a crisis nurse via phone at least once a day.

So, I went today. My care co-ordinator took me and brought me home as it was my first time going, but the rest of the time i will have to get to and from there on my own.

It was okay. I got there just before 10am. There's a reception bit that has this tropical fish tank right down one wall, and the fish are really pretty, I was sat watching them while i waited for someone to come and take details from me. Anyway, they came and took some details, and then my cc and the receptionist(?) walked with me and i was shown through to what they called the day room, where there's a few sofas, a bookcase and a table covered with magazines, a tv and dvd player with a few dvds around it, a radio, a small fridge with juice and milk in, a kettle and some mugs and cups.

There are big french doors at one end of the room that open out under some sort of shelter bit where there is a little patio table and a few chairs. That's the smoking area. Past that, there's this little bit of garden thing that looks quite pretty. Apparently when it's nice weather they have games of tennis and stuff like that on the lawn there.

I was left in the day room until about 11, when i was called through to a room off the side and was sat and this lady asked me how i was feeling and stuff, and what led to me coming here etc. I talked to her for about half an hour, then was shown back to the day room. Had a chat with another woman who was there, and then went to get some lunch....

Well, I had a cup of tea and some toast, didn't fancy anything else, but sat chatting to a couple of others who were there too. There were 5 people there that I saw. Then back into the day room and i sat with a book and watched a bit of telly until my CC came to collect me and bring me home again. I got back in just before half one.

I didn't realise how nervous i had been until I got back here, cause i walked in the front door and just started crying and shaking. Again. It's annoying me, this shaking-crying-crap. It feels like it's happening all the bloody time.

But anyway, it was alright at the unit. I'm going tomorrow, got to be there for half 10, and will be coming home about 1 again.

anyway, enough of me rambling, just wanted to get that out, as can't really talk to nana about it and mum is at work so can't speak to her just yet.

xxx

((((Crippie))))

Well done for going, i think you did great.

Having the routine of going there, chatting to people and relaxing (when you are more used to it) may be very helpful to you at this point in time.

I hope you find it helps and i hope things start improving for you.

Aurora :)

Awrrr, thanks you three :')

I hate that I need it, but it's much better than the alternative, so I'll stick at it. I just hate meeting new people - it turns me into an arm-flapping, nonsense-spewing, gibbering nervous wreck. Lavvley. :rolleyes:

xxxxxxx

Well done Crippie I have been to day units before and they can be a bit weird but I got a lot of support there much more than being an inpatient.

i'm so glad it wasnt too bad, I would be terrified too but it sounds a lot better than it could have been. and once you've talked to people a bit they won't be new people anymore so i hope it will get easier there. I'm sure theyll all love you, they should do.

thats great they are being supportive about letting you move into your new home, hopefully when thats done that will take some of the stress away tho just being alive can be really stressful. But your so strong, i'm sure you can do it, even tho youve struggled youve still faced so much and come through it.

Thanks catseyes and emma, xxxx

I'm about to head over there again just now. Was gunna walk into town (about 10 mins walk) and then get a bus from there to just down the road from the hospital, but it's pouring down and my nana has said she'll pay for a taxi for me instead.

I think that will help me feel less nervous, as I can just sit in the taxi and listen to music and do some breathing exercises and kind of shut off for a while.

It'll be about a 20 minute journey, instead of taking about 45 mins as it would with buses (to allow time for traffic in bus lanes and buses running late as they always seem to do).

I'm taking a couple of apple and cinnamon tea bags with me that I got from Holland & Barratts back-end of last week, which the kind lady in the shop said really helps to lift the lethargy I experience until after lunchtime or even up until tea time which is caused by M.E.

I have to go to the doctors on my way back from there after lunch too - I've got an appt for 2, and gunna discuss whether I'm going back on some Ensure Plus drinks to help me get some strength as, although i'm eating, i'm not eating brilliantly, and of the 2 stone I'd put on since April, i've lost one.

xxxx

Well done for going sweets - I've been to a day unit quite a few times rather than being admitted all the time and I found the day hospital much nicer and easier to deal with. Ours has got a huge art room and I usually spend quite a bit of time in there or in the kitchen helping to cook lunch for everyone when I'm feeling a bit more like doing stuff like that.

I really hope that it's helpful for you and that it goes well today. I am similar to you in that I can keep myself together for so long to get through things and then fall apart later when I'm away from the situation that I've had to cope with - hopefully, this will get easier for you - lots of love xxxx

I'm really glad you have access to a place like that. Hope It's helpful. So pleased for you that you have the courage to go.

Archived