Mental Health Forums

Cooking And Eating Properly :)

catsmother21

Awwww too late I've already been to the supermarket but nevermind I've got some spicy tomato chutney in the fridge and so we're going to try them with that.

Oh YUM those fritters were lovely and I made some couscous with roasted courgette, red pepper, mushroooms and red onion with freshly chopped parsley and coriander and we had both of those with new potatoes and salad and some spicy tomato chutney. Hubby was very impressed with them and says thanks for the recipe. We shall definitely be having those again :) xx

Edit - did you do anything with the pears in your garden?

heres what I love to do with pears.

Peal your pears, but leave the stalk on the top

Then from the bottom , core or hollow them out a bit.

Bring to the boil a large pan of water, and stand your pears in and simmer for 10-15 mins, it all depends how ripes they are to begin with.

Now sit the pears on a plate and let em cool a bit.

For the filling.

put about 70g of good quality dark chocolate (it up to you how strong you want the chocolate) in a pan with 3-4 tbsp of double cream, and heat gently until melted. remove from the heat,and stir in about 50-60g of crushed nuts, (I like to use hazel nuts,walnuts and almonds) then sit aside until cool enough to handle.

Now take your pairs and stuff the em with your chocolate filling.

I dont know how your pastry skills are, but I would just buy some ready made puff pastry.

For each pear , you'll need an 20cm square of pastry about 3mm thick. Sit a pear in the centre and wrap the pastry up and around the pear.Trim off any excess around the top, and if you can be bothered you can use the off cuts to make some leaves for decoration.

Then put the finished pears on a baking tray with grease proof paper and put in the fridge for about half an hour or until you ready to cook em.

have your oven pre heated to 200c or gas6, brush each pear lightly with beaten egg and bake for 20-25 mins.

serve with quality ,simple flavor ice cream.

This recipe works just as well with apples.

I have a photo somewhere of the finish pears, I'll try find it and add it to the post.

Gonna be making Poached Eggs Florentine for dinner, it has a nice spinach base, and a yummy cheese sauce.

will post the recipe a bit later. Just got to remember how to make it properly.

Marc x

Oh wow, yummy and wow again that pear recipe sounds divine - hubby's not a big pudding fan but I think I might just make some of those for myself.

Tonight we are having Papperdelle with leeks and porcini mushrooms with salad and garlic bread. So when I'm dressed I'm going to nip to the supermarket again to buy the ingredients. I am really loving that I've got my passion back for food and cooking and you have really helped with that Marc with all your lovely replies to this thread - so thank you very much indeed :) xx

Think I might put together a cook book, and laminate the pages in a ring binder so peeps can take out a page and not mess em up.

Thats Christmas prezzies sorted

marc x

That's a brilliant idea - I am in the process of typing up a load of recipes and will laminate them as well and put them in a ring binder because it will make life much easier and I think you making yours as Christmas presents is very thoughtful and just the kind of present I would like to receive. :)

Well I am dressed, hair washed and a bit of make-up on :) and about to go to the supermarket for today's ingredients. Today we are having stir fry vegetables in chow mein sauce with noodles and rice and might see if I can find a recipe for vegetable spring rolls - the little baby ones :) *goes off to google*

Found a nice recipe for the spring rolls on the BBC Good Food website and a tasty dipping sauce to go with them :)

ooohh must share that with me, ....but I'm sorry to say.......I bet it aint as good as mine :P .......enjoy

I'll put mine up for you to try xxxx

When I've printed it out - I'll type it up for you - I'm assuming you mean the dipping sauce or is it both? xx

both...cant wait for something new

Hi there sweets

Ingredients for Spring Rolls - makes 8-10

300g pack cooked rice noodles from chiller cabinet

400g mixed vegetables, thinly sliced such as red peppers, beansprouts, carrots, shredded Chinese leaf cabbage and spring onions - put into separate bowls

140g cooked prawns

100g shredded chicken or duck

2 garlic cloves - finely chopped

small piece of giner - finely chopped

Light soy sauce to taste

Chinese five spice

8-10 sheets of filo pastry

1 egg - beaten

sesame seeds for sprinkling

Ingredients for Dipping Sauce

100g ketchup

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

small piece of ginger - grated

pinch of caster sugar

pinch of chilli flakes or fresh chilli

Method

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan-assisted/Gas 6.

Put the prawns, chicken, noodles and vegetables into a big bowl and mix in garlic, ginger, soy sauce and five spice.

Place a sheet of pastry on the side and spoon the above mixture down one side of the sheet.

Brush around the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.

Roll them up neatly by folding both sides over the filling then rolling them up.

Put the spring rolls onto a baking tray, seam side down.

Brush with a little more of the egg and sprinke with the sesame seeds.

Bake the rolls for 20-25 mins or until golden.

While the rolls are in the oven, make the dipping sauce.

Mix all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved.

Remove rolls from the oven and allow to cool slightly and then dip in the sauce to eat.

As hubby is veggie I have left the prawns and chicken out and because we like spice and only a bit of heat, I only put in a tiny pinch of chilli flakes into the dipping sauce but obviously if you like it hot then put more in. I also made the dipping sauce first to allow the flavours to marinade for a bit longer as well. I guess you could deep fry them as well but I decided to take the healthy option and bake them instead.

We really enjoyed them with the stir fry :) xx

Thaks love, Think I might give these a bash later on today,they'll go good with my crab cakes.

I have a couple of very good (and almost top secret) recipes for Ketchup and my very own spicy tomato sauce. and also a very simple but very good sweet chilli dipping sauce.

marc x

Got to tell you...my Jerk sauce/marinade is approaching legendary status , and your fella being a veggi ,we could try it out on a few veggi dishes for him. I'm sure he wont mind being a Guinea pig.

marc x

I forgot to say that if 8-10 spring rolls is too many which it is for us you can freeze the ones that you aren't going to use but freeze them before you bake them. xx

Hi sweets

I've spoken to hubby about being a guinea pig for the jerk sauce and he said as long as it's not too hot, he'd love to give it a go and so would I :)

Hope you and Marley have had a good day xx

Hi sweets

I've spoken to hubby about being a guinea pig for the jerk sauce and he said as long as it's not too hot, he'd love to give it a go and so would I :)

I misread this as BUYING a guinea pig! i was just thinking how stroking a guinea pig would probably be great for depression! sorry, ignore me

Hi sweets

I misread this as BUYING a guinea pig! i was just thinking how stroking a guinea pig would probably be great for depression! sorry, ignore me

:D bless you xxxx

Archived