Mental Health Forums

Is Bpd A 'severe' Mental Illness?

AmyP

i don't know - sorry

(((((hugs))))) Abster

(((((hugs))))) Data

neither of you did anything wrong - you both expressed an opinion, something you are both allowed to do here.

oh abster - don't worry - you are such a lovely person ((((((hugs))))))

one thing about coming to a bpd website is that most people who post here are moody as heck (I know I am) and can minsunderstand even the simplest post (i know I do) - unfortunately many of us lack confidence too - it is a bit of a potent combination

Thank you growlycat and greenthing. I just get scared by even the littlest bit of disagreement. I

know I'm not alone there.

And I can be as grumpy and insecure as the next person.

Oh, I don't know, maybe I'm just tired or something. Not sure whats going on. I'll be OK.

Hmm, trying not to echo datas post because it has a lot of what my thought processes on it!

As far as I can see, its not conclusive medically whether bpd is necessarily caused by abnormalities in the brain. I've seen some papers on it, and they all suggest something like that...then they say something stupid like their sample population was done on wild boar or something and I'm left thinking...pfft.

From my possibly primitive understanding of this, cos on the grand scheme of things I'm pretty new to it...load of shitty coping mechanisms makes sense to me, these things are learned not instinctive and if the environment is insufficient or unstable in childhood development it makes sense that the very foundations of some parts of the personality are built in an uneven way, and have had things built on them so its really hard to tackle.

I hear you though, about the whole 'schizophrenia is serious' one. I kind of make that line too. Gotta be careful though when people talk about subjective terms like serious because people seem to be jumping on it with emotional connections and having arguments rather than just discussing it because it'd be interesting to see peoples views.

thanks for bringing the topic back on track orange hun

yeh i see what you mean. although im not sure if whether it's serious should be linked to whether it is an illness or coping strategies or something else. surely if something is serious it is that no matter what it is labelled as?

I think it's severe in that it has a significant impact on daily life and it isn't just a bad day, but ongoing, enduring distress. It feels severe to me, whatever any researchers or mental health professionals might say.

Yes i would class it as being severe, whether mental illness or mental disorder i'm not going to quibble over semantics.

Some of it is coping mechanisms but some of it is biology.

The fact that brain scans of those with BPD show that the Amygdala goes heywire proves that the mood instability is biological. Whether you choose to treat that instability with meds or by constantly questioning yourself (CBT) it's up to each individual to decide.

The other symptoms could be as a result of trauma, biology or upbringing. But for me the mood instability kind of shows that at least part of the disorder is biological, therefore same as the diabetes argument.

I have a friend who has Schizophrenia, had 3 breakdowns at a very young age and is on medication for life, but has gone onto complete numerous degrees and PHD's. He, i would say, has achieved far more than anyone could ever have imagined but still has a severe mental illness.

So yes BPD is severe.

No it won't disappear just by gazing at your navel!

Even those who achieve stuff it isn't 'not severe' for them,

they've just found ways to work with it that works for them,

but can still be a daily/hourly battle at times.

Sorry i think i've gone way off track and am rambling, but never mind :P

x

i've read things about people with bpd having different brain reactions and structures to 'normal' people too. i never really take much notice of it though as they always seem to change their mind about these things so quickly. probably because nothing with mh is really set in stone xx

would love to see this stuff on the brain differences, this is starting to interest me a lot

There are two pathways in the brain that interpret things. One is the Visual Cortex. Then there is a second pathway: the Amygdala which interprets things emotionally. These two are integrated. But in BPD brains the Amygdala is so over-active that it often misinterprets visual impressions.

Here´s the YouTube link. Its very long. In the middle of the video a doctor explains the difference so just scroll somewhere to the middle where the pics of the brain are if you dont want to hear the whole video.

• 3 months later...

it depends on the BPD suffer if the BPD suffer has tryed to kill themselfs then thats serve and if they binge drink and have eating disorders then thats serve but if a BPD does not do thoose things then their not as serve as the suffers who do that kind of stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I can only respond from my own viewpoint. I expect that I have all 9 of the criteria, I was never told how many I met. I am 29, my BPD affects me severely from day to day. My BPD has meant all the things that people normally get fullfilment from I don't. I cannot remember a great deal of my life including my wedding day. I cannot assosiate with my own image, the image in the mirror or in photos. Each day I wake up and yesterday is a blur. I have "friends" but I have no particular feelings towards them or indeed consistant enjoyment whilst around them, I have known one friend for 5 years another for a similar time and I have no emotional bond with them and I cannot take pleasure in their enjoyments such as marriage, babies and pregnanacy. I was emotionally numb or stressed pre wedding. I drank at my wedding to forget and get out of the moment of my wedding - I will not have that day again. I am 29 and cannot figure out what career I want. I weave a tragic storybook life for myself mostly unintentionally. I struggle to be authentically real with anyone including myself - if I don't make up the roles and stories I am emotionally empty. I am so practised at lying and role playing even when alone I try to find objects to act out my life. Each and every day is effort to be myself and relationships are constant work. Every area that should be fullfilling is empty. My judgement of "reality" clouded by emotionality. From my perspective BPD is a serious disorder - I think whether it is serious or not is personal.

Scenius, I am sorry for the things your going through. And I do understand the emptiness. Actually it is in total contradiction to the video which seems more to stress on emotions. But chronic emptiness is also a criteria of BPD. I have been feeling this a lot lately. It scares me. Something has switched. I used to be very emotional. BPD is such a complex disorder. The video only seems to explain the emotional part of it.

Archived