Mental Health Forums

How Many Of You Meditate?

hobgoblin

Does anyone else who dissociates find they need to be REALLY careful with meditation, in case it exacerbates it?

I do Jasmine. I did a mindfulness course and it was great, but I only use it if I'm feeling angry or calm. If I'm feeling sad or depressed, I know I could end up dissociating and I hate that more than anything.

thank you both. thank goodness I have not tried it yet. I'll ask my therapist when I see him. that sounds very high risk for me... much too high risk to try without supervision. thank you again.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's why I don't 'formally' meditate any more. Reflective free association or 'chilling out' or 5 minutes of gentle yoga poses or writing a poem is much better for the way my mind works. I used to use all my spare time for various meditative practices. It sort of damaged my mind more. Though I take more full responsibility for that now.

Its interesting how many of you have found it a negative experience. I've found that I'm more aware of my behaviour and don't do more than 20 mins a day.

I'm not doubting what experiences people have had but meditating shouldn't be about zoning out or triggering disassociation its about becoming more alert while still relaxing. I guess that's why I like guided meditation more as it helps you through!

Would feel awful to think it could make some of you feel bad tho so apologies for mentioning!

Jasminerose do you think its because we can become obsessional about things rather than just doing the 'prescribed' amount so we in effect ruin it for ourselves somehow? I don't know if its a BPD thing but its a hobgoblin thing :-)

hey - no need to apologise for mentioning it. the point of this place is (in my opinion) to support one another firstly and to learn secondly. this thread has done both. it is all good.

Hello everybod

Its interesting to see people mention the dissociation / psychosis thing. I've read some books about the deeper stages of concentration meditation - the Jhanas - and they can actually be experienced as being like psychotic symptoms. I've read about people that could 'see through their eyelids', heard voices and all sorts. With regards to deep meditation, the dissolving of the sense of self is actually an aim. However, usually it takes years of deep meditation to do this, and a great deal of stability and calm generated by the practice to deal with what can be intense experiences.

It makes me wonder if, for people who suffer from psychosis and dissociation already, that achieving those deeper states is actually easier, because of something different in the mind - but that because the capacity for calm and stability is not yet there, the experience becomes overwhelming rather than liberating. Like being in the advanced swimming class without having been allowed to practice in the shallow end.

There is also a massive difference between sitting mindfulness meditation, concentration meditation, and on-the-go mindfulness. They are all separate practices.

Im off on a mindfulness retreat this weekend which features lots of meditation aimed at emptying the mind and being present in the moment - not sure emptying my mind is possible but will give it a go. Quite excited really - by the menu - only joking - both!!

Archived