Mental Health Forums

4 Goes Mad!

ukulele25

Hi guys, wondering if anyone's been catching the programmes on channel 4's mental health season '4 goes mad'.

The programmes aim to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination against people with mental health issues.

I think this is a great idea and am so happy something is being done about stigma!

Tonight's installment is on OCD, last night was 'Ruby Wax's Mad Confessions' - I thought it was really good.

Has anyone else been watching?

http://4goesmad.channel4.com/

Yeah watched it last night and watching the OCD one tonight - I do the foot/balanced walking thing when I'm stressed, but only when I'm stressed/anxious. xx

Yeah, me too actually - I was just thinking that! They're dead interesting, even though I don't have OCD it's just good to find out about other disorders and for others to be more accepting of them :) xxx

Nice one for posting this thread Uke! xxxxxxxxx

Anyone watch 'the world's maddest job interview' last night (Weds)? Part 2 on tonight.

Was interesting again! i do believe that, although it was only a small experiment it did prove a point.

Personally speaking, i have only ever revealed my MH issues once to an employer, which is my current one...I received a call (!! not a 1-1 interview) from Occ Health and i could actually hear the nurse ticking boxes on the other end of the phone! She asked me if i thought I would ever get depressed again...what could I say? I told her I didn't know...I should have said 'yeah, probably. Like an asthmatic may get wheezy, or someone with migraines may get another one'.

Aaaaaaaanyway.....as I said earlier, I'm pleased overall with these documentaries on C4. About bloody time! xxxxxxxxxxxxx

BTW there is a similar thread to this which is active at

I enjoyed the job interview program. I thought the attitude of the interviewers changed. It might have challenged some prejudices, which is great! I wonder when they will get someone with a personality disorder on there though? PDs are more common than schizophrenia....

I was a bit AAAARGGGGHHH about it being called 'C4's MAD season' MAD interviews etc.

As while i feel it's ok for those of us with mh difficulties to laugh about the M world it's not ok for it to be used by a non mh persons.

Kinda like the way a black person might be happy to use the N word but it is totally unacceptable for a white person to use the N word.

Let's not forget the titles are totally sensationalist to get attention to it, in the same way 'Psycho killer' is misused in newspapers to portray a killer who is Psychotic rather than Psychopath.

It IS good that they are tackling the subjects, but again seems to me that they have gone for the more 'socially acceptable' illnesses of Depression, OCD.

Again no PDs and no Schizophrenia even these are just as common and detrimental to people.

I feel that although there is still stigma for Depression, it has to some extent been done to death over the years taking the focus away from other disorders that are equally important and even less known about.

Sorry i'm a bit negative over this, but while it's a start it's almost like a 'see we've tried' kinda thing without actually going into it properly and giving it the depth that's deserved.

x

Yeah I agree - I was a bit annoyed they called it 'mad' - it's not a word I'd like to be associated with myself. I do think it's a good start though :) xx

Completely agree! Content of the programmes great, titles AWFUL ('World's Maddest job Interview' - sounds like headline out of Heat or Now! magazine or other such shite)!

Liking everything else though! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archived