Mental Health Forums

Dr Data (Nearly)

Data

On Thursday I had an oral exam. Its a 3-4 hour interview. I wrote a thesis, which is like a book, which summarised the research I did over 5 years 2007-2012.

The result of the exam is that I can have a PhD (doctor of philosophy), subject to minor corrections. That means I have to do a few little things to my thesis, merge a few chapters and include a few extra paragraphs. If my corrections are accepted (and they almost always are), I will graduate with a PhD this year. So its a REALLY positive outcome.

They could have made me do much more work to get the doctorate. But the external examiner, a professor from another university, was really positive.

I am made up. He was so nice to me :).

He did have some criticisims, but most students are not perfect, we are here to learn, that is why we are a student.

So it looks like I'll be Dr Data soon then :).

Thanks absolute. To go into the exam was like mental torture. To have him say so many nice things about my work was bordering on embarrasing. I am not used to accepting praise.

It seems to me that in the end, regardless of all the pain that hard work and expectations can bring, it was still a beautiful experience which brought you so much joy and wisdom.

I am very happy for you :)

You are right. It was a beautiful experience.

I consider myself lucky, in a way. I have had a lifetime which has been a mixture of occasional happiness and a lot of mental pain, unhappiness and mental torture. But I am consider myself lucky in many ways. So, this success is a rare moment of pure success for me.

that's brilliant - i am so made up for you - and proud of your achievement... :)

more uncomfortable praise (sorry) - but well deserved nonetheless

:masked::masked::masked::sm.jpg:

The exam was surreal. The professor made some really valid criticisms, but his praise was overwhelming. He said I did too much work!

This is excellent news. Following your progress and seeing an end conclusion gives me hope and others, that if we persevere we can achieve our goals. Very proud of you data, or should I say, Dr Data.

Thanks absolute, villain, saharah blue, growlycat, ukelele, ruffryder and guntarded.

Now all I need to do is order the right coffee mug for work, as per below. Its expensive but you can put your own text and photo on the other side, I'm going to take a picture of myself against a white background.

trust_me_im_a_phd_mug-p16880051460948600

Congratulations Data!!

Such a big achievement for anyone at any time let alone someone battling mh alongside so you are perfectly justified in feeling as chuffed, positive and happy as you can manage for as long as you want!

:masked:

Data I've got tears in my eyes, I'm so so proud of you and know how much this means to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've read so many posts were you have discussed your PhD - the times were it was going right down to the times you almost gave up. You never gave up which is something else to be really proud of xxxxxxxxx

WELL DONE YOU!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That's fabulous! Yeah there always are a few corrections, brilliant that they are only little ones! Fabulous!!! Well done yoU!! Lots of hugs :-) xxx

Congratulations Data :D

That's brilliant news, it sounds so terrifying but you did it!

and you deserve it, you put so much into it. The way the rest of your life was going no one would have blamed you for giving up but you didn't and that's great for you and inspiring for everyone else.

Thanks natfredricks, artemis84, fedup, Pickle59, AppleCrumble, and emma. I never think of myself as being an inspiration for others, Emma - I hope I can gain some confidence out of this experience!

Your words were very moving fedup, and I love both the Beatles and 80s music!

Congratulations Dr Data (nearly)! Wow, five years hard work, what an acheivement... and what will you do with all your free time now? I would love to read your thesis, though I probably won't understand it!

Hello again,Mr Inspiration! I just wonder, what minor issues needed changes? If you don't mind? Hugs!

Wow! I've not been on this site long, and we certainly aren't familiar - but reading this i'm extremely awestruck by your achievement! Congratulations!

That's quite the achievement.... especially when also battling mental health issues. Good for you! :)

Archived