Mental Health Forums

How To Deal With People That Have Mental Health Issues

Neededhelp

Maybe focus on the positives ur wife does? If my partner put me down I would be defensive too your still with her there must be some reason you are. I'm not belittling your situation at all and I think it's great you stick by her but u do know that most here are Bpd suffers? Your wife is obviously struggling the not being there you mention is called disassociation and is common in Bpd. Can u talk to ur family doctor about her and what's can they do to help

Everyone needs firm boundries especially people that are consistantly testing them. I think you should see a counselor on the best way to assert these for yourself and your children. Most people who are with people that have serious mental health problems have mild ones themselves that contribute or enable the relationship to continue a dysfunctional dynamic.

I know you felt hurt that Eagleheart suggested this, but even if the delivery didn't meet the mark, she is not being attacking by suggesting this. It is more than clear that you are at the end of your tether, but rather than fix your wife, which you ultimately have no control over. Funnel that energy into the things that you can change like yourself or even take your kids to family therapy and work on it together.

Your wife will not be happy with every last bit, but her illness if it is allowed to continue, to call the shots and make the household rules, will be very damaging for your kids and yourself. Of course it means you will have to be strong in yourself so please get support from a therapist. Bad behavior will always flourish where it is allowed to.

Archived