Mental Health Forums

Update forum issues !

Lily-Bee

Hello Joshua and Lily Bee,

I am unable to private message anyone as I keep getting the message that my inbox is full. I have cleared out a lot of mail but still getting this message.

I wish to private message re the above.

Can you advise or sort please.?

Thank you,

Pickles

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickles I had a look, your box is simply very full. You just have less space now that youre sponsor and not mod.

So youll need to delete more I am afraid.

However I did change you to VIP as per the rules as youve posted so much. This means you can have 50 conversations going at once. So if you make sure youre under that you should be able to PM again.

If not let me know.

Lily

On 2 March 2016 at 5:55 PM, Lily-Bee said:

Josh has decided to keep these forums open, the ones mentioned. It is to make new people more comfortable. To give the forum a more open feeling for new people as for some new people sometimes it feels cliquey.

So yes you need to be aware of that and not post there if you dont want non members to read. And post in the dark or safe aera if you dont want it to be public.

On 3 March 2016 at 3:11 PM, Joshua said:

I opened a few of the forums up to encourage new members to join after seeing a number of members mention the lack of people using this place. If you take yourselves back to when you first joined if you couldn't see anything on the forums im guessing it would be a difficult decision to sign up.
Please remember, very little online is truly secret or safe. For instance on this forum, even how things were, people only had to throw in a few details to join and that was that.

It seems like the forum has become a gas or car insurance company - new members are given preferential treatment to loyal, long term, existing members.

I know there has been a downturn in the usage of this place but have we got proportionally any more new members since we opened everything up for every Tom, Dick and Harry to read without even "throw[ing] in a few details to join and that was that"?? My guess is probably not - why do people NEED to join anymore if they can see the majority of posts anyway?? And I'm sorry but the argument about us finding it difficult to join up without seeing so much of the content of the site is irrelevant - we DID join.  Now we are likely to be at the mercy of a lot of lingerers who can read what they like and not even have to put in any details, be them true, false or otherwise.

And one more thing - by limiting members (who can access them) to the safe place forums if they want to post without everyone being able to see, they are less likely to get as many replies as there are less true members who can access these areas - so that is actually offering them less support.

It just doesn't seem like a very well considered decision to me, even though I am more than happy to welcome new members.  The point being that they are members.

Sorry that I disagree but I do.

Blogs still can be seen in the Activity list when not even signed in... Plus many people joined this forum because of how private it was... 

I think it's bang out of order opening areas up now after years members have shared very private things on here when you had to sign up to even see anything... I joined because it was very private, Another site I'm on I won't post on the forum and only write blogs as that's the only private area for members only... 

How long has it took for us to even get answers back from you both, When you could of made a post and told us or even asked how we would feel about doing this!!! Do us as members not have any rights now to know what is going to happen to this site??? You know the members who have stuck around still when many and many have up'd and left because of many things going wrong and it changing...

what you have done is not going to get more members to join as its already proven that because I do not see new members in our members list and our forum has been left open for a while now...

1 hour ago, Dice said:

Are the blogs going to be hidden from the activity list or not???... 

I've deleted the activity list, I only wish it was a tangible item I could have blown up!

• 1 month later...

That sounds very annoying! But can you explain because I dont understand, youre posting this so mustve been able to get in?

if you can explain the issue in detail I can inform Josh of this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lily-Bee;  as soon as I sign in the page displays the text that "this page does not exist" but I can still access the site proper by clicking on the Forums tab at the top left of the page.  It's like a useless page that just has no point and, as you say is very annoying!

• 2 months later...

Just as it goes, that last post of 3 months ago still stands....

Anyway, why now, every time I sign in 

d

o

a

l

l

t

h

e

t

o

p

i

c

h

e

a

d

i

i

n

g

s

display like that when I open them????? Annoying isn't it???!!!!!!    ARGHHHHHHH, will this 'update' ever actually be an 'update'???!!!!!

Can you clear you cache and take another look. 

Ive updated to the latest version a few days ago and haven't experienced the issue

Firefox works yes - and also gets rid of the error page when I sign in.  Guess I'll have to remember to use it when I come here from now on.

Seems it may be your old browser version then, unless others come forward?

Glad it's resolved for now.

The Internet changes so rapidly these days, God knows how the browser makers keep up. 

Have a peaceful night 

• 1 month later...

Having used the forum for a little while now there are things that I have found.

- Blogs - I don't have access to anyone's blog, but the unread section includes the first few lines of everyone's, when I click them I get told that I can't access them...this seems very insecure and open to exploitation, as well as the obvious breach of privacy of the people posting what they perhaps believe to be private blogs...

- Venting and other sections - It seems like some parts of the forum are closed off, that's fine, but could you possibly put some kind of reason why they are closed off, or what someone needs to do to be able to access those parts? It's a little frustrating feeling there is a better place for a post, only to find that I don't have access.

The sticky post "Helpfull Info For Newbies" has 2 dead links at the top, I could work out what they were supposed to be, but others may not know how to manipulate a web address (it's also damn hard to do on a phone).

There was mention of a mythical support guide....It would be nice if there was one, just a quick explanation of things, maybe some ground rules, etiquette and such?

There is also a CVE published for this forum software, I haven't executed it against you as that would just be rude, but It's worth checking versions (especially PHP) to make sure our data is protected - CVE-2016-6174. GoDaddy actually make this really easy to update and it is usually set to perform some updates automatically so you most likely will be OK, but still, worth a check ;-)

Forest

Thank you Forrest.

The blogs are an issue that really bothers us too, its due to the software if this forum. Josh has contacted them time and again and theyve yet to resolve it which is why we did the best we could which is make them invisible for everyone.

Venting and such Id have to ask Josh how that works these days. Josh can you comment?

I will look at the newbies post.

Whats a mythical support guide?

Safety is another one for Josh :)

Lily

• Joshua unpinned this topic

Archived