Mental Health Forums

Doctor Phoned Today

lonelyheartemma

I asked for a phone appointment with a doctor because I'd cut my anti-depressants down and I wanted him to change the prescription. He was so nice to me! So not like any of the other doctors I've seen recently.

He was very impressed I'd cut down from 3 anti-depressants to 1 without the support of a doctor (I didn't tell him I asked for support and got none). I admitted I still had depressed/suicidal times but told him (truthfully) they were no worse than when I was taking 3 so he was happy to change the prescription.

He actually bothered to ask how my CBT had gone and even though I told him it hadn't helped me move forward with me life he told me more than once that I was doing "really well."

He said my heart tracing was ok, still too fast but no need to put me back on the horrible meds with nasty side effects. (Seriously the side effects were so awful they made me really anxious which meant my heart went faster!)

He even said he'd refer me for scans on my digestive system! I have been asking for that for years. He also asked about my periods and decided I should have scans of my reproductive system too. Maybe I should be worried about that but he said it's precautionary and I'm just happy someone's finally listened. I didn't even ask him he suggested it.

And my parents are away so I didn't have anyone listening to my conversation which is always nice :)

Wow, that's so refreshing to hear - a GP that actually listens! Well done Emma, I am glad you are feeling good about things. I have an appointment at my GP surgery on Monday - I can only hope for a similarly positive experience. Lets just say I won't be laying any bets on it!

Good luck with your appointment Artemis. If there is one that listens there are probably others so I really hope you're seeing one of them.

Steve I was totally shocked haha, I wasn't expecting a good reaction at all! Tbh I haven't even found many GPs who are that good with physical health. There's a lot of "oh everyone gets that, it's nothing" and they won't even do a test or a scan to see if they are right. Then I end up getting rushed to A&E and it turns out there was something seriously wrong after all. But at least I know now there's a GP I can go and see if there's anything wrong.

I suppose I do feel a bit proud of myself yes!

Thank you Steve and Artemis :)

I am glad you had a sympathetic and professional doctor, Emma.

I really like you and I think you deserve for some good things to happen to you.

Archived