Mental Health Forums

Eltriptophan

caz

I am sorry I can't help you with the name, but, I came home from work yesterday and my mom thrust a post-it note in front of me and on there was things like amino acids, Omega 3 or 6 (which I think are fatty acids) which are supposed to be good for depression and another new one to me was Chromium supplements.

Just sharing thoughts.

Take care, Jane

L-tryptophan...... it's an essential amino acid, or actually th precursor, sorry about th jargon, your body can't make it so you have to get it from food or supplements,Holland adnBarret do it, hope this helps,also called 5-HTP i think

tonyxxx

I have a bottle in front of me that may be the same thing

L-5-Hydroxytryptophan. The short name is 5-HTP

Bought it in a health food store. Cost about $25 (I'm in the U.S)

that's what I don't understand

There was a long explaination that 12 years ago one of the two manufacturers in the world changed to a different production process and the people taking it got muscle spasms. Then they stopped prescribing it. Now they are starting again with this proviso. I wonder if they prescribe in higher doses.

I haven't started taking it yet-its to be discussed on Thursday along with some other options. He is leaning towards Lamotrigine but I don't like the idea of this at all. I don't want to be on drugs at all-I just want to be well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived