Mental Health Forums

Meds Help

cady4evr

I want to apologize i put my question in the depression area but i think i was supposed to put it in the general area forgive me ima newbie ya know :wub::lol:

anyway... here my question :P

Hi I have psychotic depression and severe OCD and BPD. I have been taking Paxil and Zyprexa. In the past I have taken Welbutrin ,Risperdal, and Zoloft. Non of these meds have worked for me. I was officially diagnosed almost a year ago. I don't mind the depression all that much been dealing with it all my life, used to it you know but the most debillitating one is the OCD. I'm afraid to go out because whenever I drive my car knowing i have to park it in my driveway i have to spend around an hour making sure that everything is off and locked. Knowing this i don't like to leave my house in fear i have to do this everytime i go out. But back to my question is I have taken these medications and found that none of them have worked for me. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions who has specifically has OCD has had what kind of medications have worked for them??? I'm thinking about trying Prozac but i don't know if it worth a try or not. I'm tired of taking these diff meds with having the outcome of them not working for me. I guess my question for those who have tried Prozac did it workj or not and my other question is what other meds you all have suggestioning that may work for me.??? please write back thanx so much :wub:

Well, I think that BPD is combination of many different disorders and the combination varies from person to person. Like my case of BPD consists of a PTSD, Genderalized anexity, major recurrent depression, and chemical dependacy cocktail. However, the bottom line is that this is all my BPD. Now, i am a believer in treatment with meds, however i think that it's not nearly as effective as an effective thearpy in treating BPD. Meds for BPD seem to last for short periods of time. So, like me, i've had to find ways in dealing with my anexity, ptsd, etc....because medication alone is not going to do much at all in the long run. I've been on 15 different meds in the past 8 years...all of them wear off on effectiveness. So, my suggestion to you is to work really really hard to find soemthing other than meds to cope with your symptoms. BPD and it's componets are not a chemical imbalance, therefore, meds alone will not work. I'm not saying don't try to find a right medication, but i'm saying try not to use it as a cure all for your OCD or other symptoms you experience. I'm sorry you are having such troubles, i know it is really rough. I'm sorry if what i have just said is negitive, it's just my opinion based on my experiences and research on bpd. I wish i could be of more help to you.

take care,

kristy

for some people medication and therapy do work. being on the right regime of medication for your symptoms is what is needed, then the next issue is finding the right therapist for you. and this along with the right meds regime can take a while. it took me nearly 8 years to find the right combination of meds, and only now at 29y.o has my shrink and i found the right combination. i havent felt this well in a very long time. im actually able to work now and i hvent been able to work and feel competent since 1997 and i was not well then and i was on prozac then aswell. prozac did not work for me. and ive been on any anti depressant you can think of. but like i said its finding the right combination of meds. you have psychotic depression, bpd and ocd, you and your dr need to find the right mix to treat all these together and and then you need to decide about therapy. therapy i believe is extremely important as it gets to the source of the problem and then hopefully one day you may never need the meds again.

i wish you the best of luck cady4evr

rag

I have generalised anxiety disorder and been on many different meds, but it amazes me how much the side effects of them can be the same effects of the disorder! It takes a while to find a medication that works just right for you, so hang in there, I think a lot of it has to do with luck. The only advice I can give you is what helped me- I have a REALLY big problem in leaving the house. I started sending myself emails from home in the morning, to my work email, just saying stupid stuff (well, I guess it's not that stupid cos it worked for me) like 'today is a good day. It will be a happy and productive day. You will be in control' maybe it's not the words that work, just taking some action. Good luck in your search, and have faith!

xxxxxxxxx

Archived