Mental Health Forums

I Don't Understand

Maddy

My doctor just started talking to me about BPD.

I'm so lost.

All the symptoms of BPD that he says I have, seem to be just symptoms of my other illnesses..

Does that make any sense? <_<

Why do I need another label?.......

I'm sorry I dont know how to explain it. :unsure:

maddy

maddy,

labels are just that... labels. they dont change who or what we are. a lot of symptoms cross over from one illness or mood disorder to another. also most people with bpd or traits of bpd also have another diagnosis (like depression, PTSD, OCD, or Bipolar). it is frustrating when they add new labels... its happens to me everytime i go to the hospital. i started out just major clinical depression, then they added PTSD and then traits of BPD and then bursts of schizoaffective dissorder. I figure i cant afford to go to the hosp again or they'll just have to label me plum crazy!

I also have a saying.... get a new doctor... get a new diagnosis.

I know it is frustrating but whatever you have you just have to keep working through it... and its hard!

bets

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Maddy,

sometimes doctors try to find the more serious diagnosis and others go under that. For example I have Attention Deficit Disorder but because it is not as important/serious a diagnosis as BPD, he tends only to describe me as having BPD. BestWishes, Rainbowlady.

Nod....yeah...doctors are as humans as us...and God knows they only do know as much about OUR behaviour, symptoms etc THEN we ourselves DO!!!! - They dont know. :blink:

It is OK to be confused. I was. I sometimes still am. At the moment, I am NOT.

I have accepted my traits, and it has been easier dealing with them, with medication. Management. Still managing. Will be managing. It is fact.

All the best. -_-

Budgie,

When I was younger, I didn't get along very well - lots of drama, police, it was ugly. Then as I got into my 30's, it got better, and I was good for about 10 years. Some things happened last January that messed me up emotionally, and it all came back full force. So anyway, the reason I'm writing to you is that you mention "management", and that was key for me. I realize now that even during the quiet 10 years, I was BPD, but was managing it better. Then things got shook up, and I wasn't managing it at all, and now I am beginning to again. I have a therapist with rock solid boundries, and we are in the process of phasing out our sessions. I have also started taking Wellbutrin for depression.

I don't know about you guys or BPD, but the boundry thing has been sooooo critical for me - otherwise I consume my caretakers, they get burned out and don't want to see me or speak to me anymore, or try very hard to give me too much time, which just feeds the monster - and when I say monster, I have to remind myself that the monster is not ME.

Thanks for mentioning the management thing Budg. :)

Wow, Verbena, you sounded just like me a few years ago. I was forever refusing to leave place and getting taken home, or arrested by the police. Once threw their hats out of the back window of the police car, and phoned from a daycentre pretending to be staff and tellling the police the problem person had left and theyno longer needed to come!

Lke with you some counsellors/therapists tried really hard with me and went beyond the call of duty only to regret it,and then were so traumatised by my behaviour they never wanted to see me again and my name was almost taboo!

Boundaries have been a major issue for me too as I always wanted to transgress them.

I was taken to court at one point and an injunction taken out against me by a college.

Oh dear, such a monster, I am so ashamed now...but there were some very funny parts to it too. :wub::angry:

Now I have much more support and I have calmed down and stablised, have alovely boyfriend and am, as you say, managing myself better.

Best Wishes for your future too. Rainbowlady.

Rainbowlady,

It will be interesting as we go along to see what else we have in common. Yes, there were parts that make me smile as I look back - don't know if it would make them smile though! Thanks for the validation! :)

Verbena

Archived