Mental Health Forums

This Has Been An Amazing Week

fairytales817

Just wanted to say hey to everyone. I know I haven't been around as often as I used to. I have just been so busy.

For the last week I have been running on about 2-3 hours of sleep a night, hard, HARD band practices every day after school from 3-5:30, no caffine, no sugar (cause of band), tons of homework, hardly any food, a lot of stress, a few really bad days, and being really sick. Friday rolled around and I was already out of it, but I got off my butt and got to band. We went to a school nearby where the football game was, we got into the stands, and hurricane rains hit... Now this isn't your every day average rain. This was pelting. The wind was blowing so hard, and the rain hurt when it hit you. We're all huddled in the stands with our ponchos on, uniforms getting soaked, water pouring out of instruments. The other school's band got up and left. Their team was gone. Finally, our football team came out and we all started cheering. No one from the other school was around. The audience had left the stadium. We're sitting in the pouring rain, can hardly see the other side of the stadium (at first we couldn't see it at all), yelling for the other team to come out and play the game. They finally did, after about 45 mins of this. Note: This is our rival school. We played the game, no audience other than the band. Because the field was so wet and slippery, we played our halftime show from the track around the field. Couldn't even march. It was the most moral boosting, spirited thing I've ever been blessed enough to be a part of. Then we lost the game. It was brutal. The most defeating loss we've ever had.

So I got home around midnight and dryed my band uniform the best I could. It's 100% wool, so no dryer for it. Finally got in bed around 1:30. Woke up at 4, went band to the school. Got on the band busses, drove to a city in the southern part of the state, to a university down there. Big time. This was a big game. 81,000 people there. I had no idea what that many people looked like. This wasn't any petty high school game. This was a college game. This was insane!!! I was sick and cold (in 100 degree weather, wearing 3 inches of wool and metal) and was about to pass out. I got out there anyway and did the halftime show in front of 81,000 people. It was amazing. Unforgettable. Cameras all over us. News coverage. Everything. 1st high school band to march at this university's game for 20 years. Big deal stuff. I got out of there, went back into the stands, and passed out. Stayed with some paramedics for the rest of the game which we won (or... the university we were at did). It was so awesome.

So here I am. I'm feeling much better, even though I'm still burning up with fever. I have to go though. Erik's coming to get me to take me to church and out to lunch if we have time.

I love yall tons and miss talking to you as much,

fairytales,

I really enjoyed reading this post. You have so much going on, and are feeling good, and still took time out to pass on some good stuff to us. It's so good to know we are not always sad sacks! Keep us up on how you are doing.

Verbena

My flute was screwed up for a while, but I managed to get it clean and the pads dried out. Don't worry, it's my crappy flute. I would never use my baby for marching.

Archived