Mental Health Forums

Dbt

ragdoll

I need some new distraction techniques please. All of my resources are drained and i need some help here. I am in desperate need of some dbt coaching here.

any ideas. ive tried the elastic band, cold showers, boiling hot showers (more self harm maybe) ice, going for drives, sleeping which atm is not even working when its supposed to at night, talking to the only support that i have, positive box of goodies, music, photos, purfumes, bath, pc, walking. i need more stuff please. anything you guys can suggest please

thanks all

stace

Sometimes i find it eases the urges if i dont think that i cant, do it and say to myself ok i can do it, just not yet.later. and keep putting it off until the urges go, I dont know if this would work for you but it helpps me sometimes. good luck anyway

Try computer games - particularly the violent kind. Quake III Arena is awesome! It relieves tension, stress, depression, numbness, or just boredom. I stayed up until 3:30 AM the other night, and I finally beat the whole game. I saw the game at Staples once, also try a computer store like CompUSA. Try getting into computer games. My really good friend - the one that I talk to - he gave me my first computer game - Quake. Now we're both into computer games. May sound geeky, but hey...

Also, what is the "positive box of goodies"? I've never heard of that one.

...as a reminder, that's just a suggestion. It's only helped me. You don't have to try the "violent" kind either. I've found "The Simpsons Hit & Run" to be just as cool.

Peace,

i find watching old homemade movies of my family good, or going through my kids baby pics help. phoning a friend. removing urself from the risk by going somewhere nice, getting urself into something which totally busys the mind, seeing if someone worse than u needssome comfort advice company, i gave up on my magic wand years ago cos it does work for me, the one thing that stops me s/h is knowing there is such a risk to losing something oher than my life. sorry i dribbled on.

In my little box of goodies, which i put together as a self soothing technique, i have the following; jewellery that means something to me that i wont or cant wear, all my rowing, basketball, netball, athletics and weighlifting medallions as i used to be really good at sports. (rowing was my baby, used to be a national rower, excuse my bragging), i also have letters that people have written to me over the years that mean a lot to me, one picture that was taken when i was 2 and i am with my dad. It is the only time in my life that i have ever looked like i trusted him. Well i did at least up until then. So i value that picture. I have my life story in a letter in there, its brief but it is in there where no one will ever read it as no one but me EVER goes into it, a pictogram of my lifes journey and how i got to where i am as a person, and for now i think that is all that is in there.

As for other techniques that i have ill give you a list, as my pc doesnt have the hdd space for game hardware which annoys me. The only games i have on my pc atm are card games. However my next pc will have plenty of room and then ill be asking for game ideas. And i have heard of quake and i will be getting diabalo2.

I have distraction techniques such as cleaning cooking, general household duties, exercise, driving, feeding the birds, talking to birds, chating online to supports, email, tv/video, music, nature, beach, read.

Then theres the positive emotional techniques, emotional focusing, such as listing emotional triggers, journal writing, describing emotions.

Alternatives to self harm; the ice, rubber ball or stress ball, loud music, rubber band, hot and cold showers.

Self soothing stuff which i hate as i dont think that i deserve to feel good so how can i do something that is supposed to self soothe me.

And self harm reduction. The best one i have for that is to just go to bed. But right now its 1.30am and i doubt that im going to sleep as i just did something very impulsive and am wired and am probably going to hurt myself as a result. But not in a cutting or o'd way, not in anyway that will be evident to anyone unless they hear me.

But this is not the place for this discussion, sorry guys.

Anyway, shiney, you didn't dribble, im the one that babbles on this board, but i just feel like nothing that i try works anymore.

MAYBE I'VE BEEN RIGHT ALL ALONG, I AM BEYOND HELP THEN LOL. OW :rolleyes::rolleyes: WELL :rolleyes: :blink:

Archived