Mental Health Forums

How Many People Work?

Si-Leeds

Just wondered, I have not worked for 3 years now but keep trying to go back because you already feel inadequate as it is ... Somehow I managed to blag it for 15 years of ups and downs .. you feel like half a man and a burden to the state when you cant work :angry:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swan

• zach112331

• TheChangeling

• Si-Leeds

I am a musician, i havent had aproper job for over 10 years and no gigs these days either....i suppose i think th state has been a burden on me sometimes, so im getting my own back i guess.

My friends tell me that, they say that I served my country (Army) and became ill because of that so the state owes me but it doesnt stop some people within benefits asking you every month if they can help you get back to work ... I was on 60k a year in London so what would i rather be on ... benefits or a decent wage!

registerd disabled with depression haven't worked for 6 years now, would love to be back at work, but at least with DLA I can afford not to.

Like you I earned in the £50k circa when I was employed, big changes now!!

ive been off work for coming 3 years and i think thats going to be a problem is when i go back, i mean what can i say what ive been doing for so many years? i mean fair enough i could say that i was a housewife but why should i have to lie.

They make it so yu have to lie...... iwas in a hospital for 6 mnths adn a Richmond Felloowshipp house for a year........ icoul never put that in an application

registerd disabled with depression haven't worked for 6 years now, would love to be back at work, but at least with DLA I can afford not to. 

Like you I earned in the £50k circa when I was employed, big changes now!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you register as disabled if you dont mind me asking? I am appealing my DLA for the third time now as I am only on Lower Care and Mobility

I still live in hope that I can go back to work but what can you do and where do you say that you have been?

BB

you could say you took a career break to care for your daughter.

when I am able to return to work I will be informing future employers that I took time out to child mind my granchildren.

Tony

as a self employed muscian could you not just cover the blanks with

that?

feel its is none of their business, the only think I owe futre employers is the ability to do my job.

As I run an internet site I normally say that I have been running that from home ... sucks that you have to lie though when you are probably still more sane than half the people that are "normal!

I haven't worked in about 5 years...I used to wear a great mask to get through work then come home and self harm...College 3 hours a week is sometimes more than I can handle so not sure if I'll ever be able to work.

Mrs Tree

Not working must be so hard. I do feel for you guys but I also wonder if I will join you.

I work, I came close to being kicked out a couple of months ago, my company put me on a 'capability' process to make sure I could do my job. In reality my boss new I had problems and was bullying me and making it worse. In general I find it so so hard sometimes to keep going, but, I have always said if I have to lose my career I would rather die. Can I ask you if any of yourselves felt that way....I have come close to saying bye bye to the world this year due to work (well amongst other things).

Had to give up nursing when I was 18/19,took an overdose,hated the job but more importently the whole issue of dealing with people,interacting,dealing with the crap freefalling through my mind just meant I freaked,have worked part time since then but not in past few years cos Im sad.

Guess Im saying badbug you are not on your own,doesnt count for much when you are dealing with it every day but remember how it felt.

As for the future,Ill take it as it comes every day.

Patricia

Hi Patricia,

You are right, I take each day at a time too. Is there anything you would like to do now that is not as stressful as working as a nurse - that is a very challenging career and far more useful to society's than mine.

I work in a job attempting to help people resolve complaints. The shit drives me up the wall = about five years ago a T put me on gabapentin to deal iwth. previously I was coming home from work and crying about all the stuff (the suffering and pain others were experiencing). I am still in the same job and hanging on with the meds. I had a T that advised me I should get a job wherer I don't have so much contact with people. I am very conflicted on this as I get some enjoyment, meaning in my menaingless liffe, from helping people who the system has fucked over.

I wonder if all the same emotions crying, etc. is still impacting my psche as before and is only masked by the gabapentin and SSRI or does my body being on gabapentin and SSRI protect my body from reacting negatively to the stress. I no longer come home and cry and find while some people can present extremely sorrrowful cases I can be involved a great deal and not take it home with me... usually.

Opinions?

I found that in one way by being at work meant that I had interaction and therefore felt some worth but at the same time your mood swings are seen by more people and then you feel under pressure to lie and hide it so you go home shattered and I have to wonder whether that is really worth it .. I would be happy to do part time however as we all know we cant pick the days that we are ill!

Archived