Mental Health Forums

How Many People Work?

Si-Leeds

Well done to you Liz ...

I think that I am now going to do a home study course in marketing that way you have less pressure on you again and you can do it at your own pace

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swan

• zach112331

• TheChangeling

• Si-Leeds

I'm not working Either, I've held Multiple Positions in Fast Food Restaurants including Acting Small District Manager, (what The hell does that mean) at that time I was managing 2 stores of Taco Bell, and I was also Managing a dairy Queen. So Up until about November or december of 02 is when I had my first breakdown, and after that I started busting ass at work... (2-3 part time jobs.) then The Marine Corp happened. After that I only worked for my old job DQ, and I just couldn't handle it so after about 5 months of that I Quit and I have been Doing Labor Ready (temp Construction, or Other Menial Jobs.) and Working from home on cars or selling car parts. (btw: if any of you have older Subaru's I have Parts for sale) Grr.

-xoomer

I had to give up a job I loved when I "lost the plot".

3 Years later I was offered a job running an art and craft shop. I took it. Been there just over a year now. Only work 9 till 3 and now only 4 days a week. I couldn't cope with more so I dropped my hours.

The other week I was given a week off paid dispite having used up all my leave because my boss could see I was losing it. She said she'd rather pay me to have a week off than me end up signed off later!!

They know about my abuse and PTSD but not BPD.

I find it really hard. I get home and fall asleep on the sofa. Work takes all my energy so there none left for the kids or housework (Whats that??)

I spend Wednesday's painting, though not at home. I have a place at Church where I paint. It's my retreat from the world.

I'd love to go self employed painting. My work is always sold before it's finished so I think I could do it, but finances won't let me.

My wages pay the bills and put food on the table.

I daren't take the chance.

Ver, that's terrible! :(

I have a problem with meetings at work.

But then i kind of have a problem with work.

I'm 'lucky' enough to work for local govt. they have a duty of care to protect me. I put on my app form that I had been recovering from an illness (didn't say anything else). If you've suffered from a mental health problem for over 18 months you can class yourself as disabled. On app forms it does say that you don't have to be registered disabled to be counted as a disabled employee. they also use the guaranteed interview scheme for people with disabilties. i was well enough to kick ass in the interview and get offered the job. I had to see occupational health to be deemed ok to work. I have a lot of time off but sick absence due to a disability has to be classed as that and not as sick- this means it can't be used against you in performance reviews or promotion selection.

I didn't find a lot of this out until i had a problem at work (resulting in 7 months off). I've had to constantly fight for fair treatment, which I can do as I have the law on my side (employers have 'Investor's in People' award- I make sure they abide by this).

I was honest about my mental health problems from the start (had nothing to lose, really) and am so so lucky to have some real great people fighting in my corner at work- especially when i lost the energy to do it myself. People tell me things are changing- i have a community employment adviser who is fantastic (they hid her from me for the first 2 years) and certain managers have been sent on courses to learn about the DDA.

I am capable of doing my job. Some days I'm just not capable of waking up/getting out of bed/leaving the house/interacting with people/living any more.

hahahahaha certain managers let me think a bird that can be associated with the festive season lol!!! was right behind u mate and so happy ur back there fighting the bastards of city hall and a certain flirt stop member!! hahaha i miss the jokes and cartoons (sorry to everyone else i used to work with anwen at the lovely place!!) as for me i left for uni which has made me this way god i hate life!!! :bigarmhug[1]: to anwen and anyone else who wants one share the love!!

Archived