Mental Health Forums

Miracle Cure?

twilight

As I've been diagnosed with resistant depression I've been trying to find something else, anything else that might help. My mum found a book on EPA which are a supplement fish oil thing....she seems to think its going to cure everything. The book claims to reduce symptoms within 4 weeks and to get rid of depression completely within 3 months!!!!! Is it a miracle cure that no-one knows about or is it a load of bollocks? Apparently it can get rid of severe depression (wahoo!) without side effects...it all sounds too good to be true.

I'm gonna try it cos i have nothing else thats helping at the mo but I just can't see how it will help. Surely it just changes things in the brain, but its not gonna change my thinking patterns, can't change how i feel about things. I dunno! Just wondering if anyone had heard of it or knew anything about it. Think its more advanced in the states than the uk.

If it works I will broadcast and send u all some :lol:

Hey Twi!

I totally understand the resistant depression thing, mine doesnt go with anti-depressants either :( I have tried taking fish oils, but kept forgetting to take them :huh: so cant say if they worked or not, but might try again now.... The ones I took were Seven Seas high strength cod liver oil capsules- they have lots of omega 3 oil in which contains the EPA.

Another thing im meant to do is lots of quick walks (my therapist says that exercise is just as good as anti-depressants) It does help me if i get really stressed about things but im not sure bout the depression!

Keep on at it!

Take care, jo xx

hi twilight my sister is a homeopath and she recommends hypericum tincture it is meant to be very good better than st johns wort I also heard that about fish oils might try!! I am med free at the moment as Prozac made me suicidal for some reason. I think meds dont work as its the only way I know to think if that makes any sense. hope that might help :rolleyes:

Yeah Lottie that does make lots of sense, I know just what u mean. I'm med free at the mo too, very weird place to be I'm finding. I might try that what you're sister recommends, I'm up for trying anything lol! St johns wort did nothing for me, I'm kind of thinking I'm too far gone for help!

Jo, apparently there is new stuff out that is pure EPA. Theres lots on the internet to order but I think I'll go down to Boots, seems safer! I'll let u know if it works! Exercise is supposed to help but never seem to get round to it :lol:

Thanks for the replies :wub:

hey twi! u never too far gone for help! :P

hope you find something that works- let us know! im gonna look into that pure EPA thing too now :) and the hypericum tincture - will try anything! is there a alternative health centre near you? my cpns recommended one for me in my area when meds didnt work, so have a try! only thing i can say from when tried years ago is that accupunture doesnt hurt- unless on your little toe :lol: oouch!

take care, jo xx

your poor toe kittykat!

I find excercise does help but i often to tired or depressed to try. its like a circle - do excercise to make me feel better but feel to sad and tired to b bothered to do excercise so continue to feel bad! lol

I will try herbal stuff! Let me know if anyone finds anything that works.

Good Luck twi

Tory

hi everyone been talking to my sister and the new alternative therapy wonder is called 5 - Htp available in most health shops. I found this on line about it its worth a go isnt it. You can also buy it on line.

" 5-HTP is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia. "

Let me know how you get on :wub:

:)

ive had acupunture and trust me it doesnt hurt. i studied it before i started nursing and the theory behind it is truely unique aswell. the needles are so fine that you hardly feel them being inserted and they only insert them a few millimeters into the pressure points that like i said you will hardly feel them and it is a good alternative if you want to give it a go. but dont give up your meds if youre on any.

its funny you know when i started reading your post the EPA in australia stands for ENVIRINMENTAL PROTECTION AUTHORITY lol, its funny, i had to laugh to myself.

anyway another herbal thing they talk about her in oz is st johns wart. its a herbal tablet for treating depression. it stinks like most herbal remedies. i dont know if it works but they say it does. i suppose like anything some things work for some ppl and some things dont.

i suggest you look into these things if youre interested, get medical advice or research them before trying if you are heading in that direction just dont give up because there is always something out there for someone that will work you just need to find it.

good luck mate

rag

Thanx rag! Glad I gave u a smile about EPA lol :D Yep tried St johns wort way back, did nothing. If electric currents don't work then can't see how anything else will!

Lottie thanx for info on 5-HTP, worth a go I guess!

Tory, thats so true about exercise vicious circle...i still not broken it!

You're all fab :wub:

Archived