Mental Health Forums

12/16

90mphINneutral

I got an appt with a new LADY therapist on 12/16 and I'm really nervous. I've never seen a lady T before, they've all been males. She seemed nice on the phone but I'm still so nervous. Do my records transfer?? So she'll know of my multiple diagnoses?? I have trust issues with new people so it will take me a while to open up. I would appreciate any tips you have for me. Thanks.

I don't know how it will be in your situation - my records never transferred. They were always private practices and wanted to come to their own conclusions. Were you referred? That might change things. In any case you would have to sign a release so you'd know. I always wanted a good lady therapist. I went to one once who fell asleep the second time I saw her, so I quit her. I liked her though...I spoke to her on the phone once after that and I always thought I should have gone back and worked things out with her. I asked a male t once if he thought I'd do better with a female, and he said "You'd fall in love with her, then you'd hate her, then you'd hit her upside the head with details." I have not idea what he meant by that last part. :blink:

It depends what referral process you went through to get to her. If its within social services or NHS, there's a good chance they pass some notes, she may be under supervision from someone more superior who will also know your details. This is speculation, you must ask her directly, thats the best thing, get it out in the open what you're wondering.

Some T's like to start afresh with no info about you so they can make their own conclusions. In my experience, some tell you they don't know anything about you but they actually do. That really fucks with my head when they do that. I have walked out on several of them because of this - how do they expect to build trust when they are opening up the interactions with dishonesty.

The main advice I have after my own various experiences is to ask them about stuff if you don't understand what they mean. Or if they say something you thing is wrong or inacurate or offensive, try to say it to them as soon as possible. I always go home and complain and then walk out on them but it doesn't get me anywhere and I still wonder what some of them meant, even years later!

Im not sure what it is like in the uk , but I know that in the states you can make a personal request for your records, and if you feel that it is important for your new T to gain knowledge from your records than bring it up to her ! Tell her what your concerns are .

I know that when I transferred to another t at first I dint have my rcords transferred and I got a ton new dx's but with my records they followed the same course with me so to speak .

I dont know if any of this is making sense, I havent gotten much sleep lately and my words get jumbled when tired !

~EC~

it always takes time to open up to a new t whether they have records or not. just give her a chance and who knows it may be the best t you ever had!

bets

I have had both male and female T's. I am not sure it so much a gender issue my T is male and I find discussing sexual issues much harder with him.

About your trust...I think prolly most people who see a T have trust issues so your T will already be prepared for that....Just take your time and don't dive in feeling you need to reveal all yourself at once.

The first time I saw my current T I talked about what I wanted from Therapy rather than delving into my probs

let us know how it goes

Take CAre

Mrs Tree

Archived