Mental Health Forums

Wierd Things Shrinks Say!

realscape

What is the wierdest, strangest, rudest, or just bizarre thing your pdoc or MH worker has ever said to you? Did you understand what they meant? Did you feel upset or angry or puzzled?

My Top 10 - various pdocs / therapists

1) Asked me, for no discernable reason, if I take my clothes off for a living; Huh?

2) Told me, within seconds of our first meeting, that I feel isolated "because it's lonely in the world of the judgemental"; What?

3) Told me there were fairies in the water cooler; OOOOKKK.....

4) First session, first meeting, refused to shake my hand, silently sat and stared at me. First question: "does the individual represent the organisation?"; WTF!!?

5) Refused to believe me about something very distressing (but true) from my childhood that any member of my family could validate; Bitch, should have punched her when had chance.

6) "Re-interpreted" my wanting to commit suicide into me actually wanting to clean my house; Yeah, that'l be it. NOT.

7) Repeatedly told me (4 sessions) that my £15 Primark duffel coat was "the BEST coat" she had ever seen - the whole student population of London was wearing them; Speechless.

8) Told me that my problems are not as bad as I think they are. Then issued 1 wk bef xmas, a surprise stealth dx of: THREE personality disorders, depression since childhood, problems with upbringing, self-injurious behaviour, substance abuse, social probs, and markedly high hostility. Thats not as bad as I thought then!!!?!

9) GP started shouting at me for no reason whatsoever, told me not to come and see her, she isn't my doctor and she won't help me. Afterwards, I checked with receptionist to find out who I am registered to and guess what, it was HER.

10) When told shrink about above strange incident, she said that it was probably my anger at myself that was the cause of the incident; HUH? Should have decked her with the plantpot when had chance.

:(:huh::blink::angry::mellow::o:unsure: :wacko:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time i was in hospital (a couple of weeks ago) i was told by my doctor that i was depressed because i was lonely.

Have you ever heard such bollocks???

First main group meeting of a psychotherapy community the head therapsit asked me,

"so, how do you feel now that your brother has commited suicide".

My head jarred like a lightning bolt thundering through my brain...WHAT!!!!!!!

My response resulted in my being arrested and threatened with a section, my knuckles ached for days after that incident.

Bollox to PDocs, MH-Worker morons n Social twats, they should piss off and get a proper job, lazy drop-out tossers...........

Various pdoc/mh worker.

First major crisis as in patient-'You are an awkward and troublesome teenager.(Realised then how braindead and sociopathic most pdocs are.)

First therapist i ever had- '' How do you cook a turkey'' interjected unexpectedly

into the converation(It was just before christmas but even so!)

Second therapist- Sometimes the people being bullied encourage the bullies to bully them(Please don't make me bully you i'm beseeching you -whack! thump!. My hand is

traumatised i'm sure it' suffering from post strained thumping disorder).

Mental health worker: Go and see a private counsellor(I had gone to mh centre as i was seriously losing it)What are you doing to help yourself? I explained as i was getting f***

all help i had no choice but to struggle to help myself as well as struggle to cope with a wife with vascular dementia.

My comment 'Everytime i come here it's the same' ie zero help and support.Her response 'that should tell you something'

Several minutes of bad mannered abuse and invalidation later ' You're all over the place' at which point i walked out wishing i had nver sought help in the first place .

I've seen the evil bitch hanging around outside the mh centre which is on the second

floor several times since.If it wasn't for the fact i'd be done for disposing of poisoned

dwarves i 'd push the evil bitch over the edge and laugh when she went splat.

was told by my psych doc tht there were children dieing in africa so i dont have ptsd..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What THE HE!!

Thats strange. I don't go anymore because I can't afford but when I was a kid and I went I was always falling asleep. (stupid floresent lights) but I remember he once told me that my dad was a bad influence and my mom was always right?

Hey guys thanx for the replies. I'm so glad I'm not alone in noticing that our psychs are even more screwy than us!

All the same, I felt genuinely sad reading those comments because the last thing anyone needs when they're down and confused is to be insulted and / or failed. One thing that always strikes me is how ARROGANT they are. As if they think they're so emotionally stable and untouchable that we're a bunch of fruit loops. I'd like to see what would happen to them if they suffered a whole lot of degrading and abusive circumstances. Or is that me just getting sadistic now!

It was the biggest waste of time for both of us - a complete flop of fourteen sessions. I asked him if I would have done better with a female therapist. His response: "Ann, you would have fallen in love with her, then hated her, then hit her up side the head with details." Please, can someone tell me what that meant?

O dear Verbena

Unfortunately the dick brain that said that to you probably didn't even know what it meant himself.

For my part, I am so sick of stupid comments that from now forward, when someone makes one, I'm going to REFUSE to budge off it until they fully explain what they meant! They will either offer some reasonable and understandable explanation or they'l be sorry they ever said it.

The reassuring statement of "Your boyfriend will leave you over this", when she'd never met my boyfriend!

"Why don't you go swimming to relax" - yeah let's let the entire world see my legs

And, most wonderfully, "SI is a silly thing to do"

WOW!! She should get paid for this! Stupid bitch

After telling the story of getting beat by my dad, he replied by telling the story of how he was terrorized even worse by his mother! In fact, he would one-up every story I told with one of his own...and then exclaim how we had soooo much in common! This guy had some sort of death wish or something...

It really is a miracle, reading these posts, that none of use have ACTUALLY harmed a therapist. The wierd thing for me is that looking back on the past, I wish I had have smacked them one when I had the chance. So I'm wouldn't feel too safe if I was them. Maybe I should start a new thread "have you physically assaulted your T?"

Maybe the only diff between us MH 'disabled' and people in prison is that we turn our anger inside instead of out.

It really is a miracle, reading these posts, that none of use have ACTUALLY harmed a therapist.  The wierd thing for me is that looking back on the past, I wish I had have smacked them one when I had the chance.  So I'm wouldn't feel too safe if I was them.  Maybe I should start a new thread "have you physically assaulted your T?"

Maybe the only diff between us MH 'disabled' and people in prison is that we turn our anger inside instead of out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The therapist would probably enjoy being smacked in the mouth .Some of them have got more kinks than an obsessive paraphilic experiencing psychotic mania -_-

The therapist would probably enjoy being smacked in the mouth .Some of them have got more kinks than an obsessive paraphilic experiencing psychotic mania

Har! Couldn't agree more. All that pretending to be neutral shit. They must develop all manner of multiple personalities and surpressed emotions just doing their jobs!

Okay, well, you all know I have the best quote of all....god I just love repeating this because I'm still amazed I was asked this:

"What if I told you there was no such thing as BPD?"

:lol: ha, friggin' thearpist is crazier than i am...

"What if I told you there was no such thing as BPD?"

O a lone woolf about to start their own theories of insanity after 300 years no doubt. Altho they prob couldn't do any worse than Freud.

I have taken the opposite stance with so-called therapists. I tell them I don't believe in therapy because I've never met anyone who was helped by it. I then ask them to cite cases where they feel a client has 'recovered' or felt significantly improved. They are usually unable to do so.

wow this is really making me feel good i tell ya lol..

i havent even got a counclor yet and have gone throu to the doctor to get on a list for one was hard enough ..but seeing how a shrink have treated you guys doesnt make me feel well about the counclour..gosh why are some of those so awful..

hi some1shy

please don't take everything that is said in these posts to heart

a counselling session is about what u take into it

go in with an open mind and open communication

if you give your counsellor, and yourself, time then you will be able to make progress at your pace when u are ready

if you go in thinking that all psychs/therapists/cousellors will not be able to help you.... then you will be right!!!! and they won't!!!

ONLY YOU CAN HELP YOURSELF!!!

but of course that will be with the guidance and supervision of all those involved in helping you with your mental health problems

some1shy please remember that any relationship takes time to build and for you to trust each other.

allow you and your counsellor time to get to know one another and for the trust to build and remember all relationships have times when either one or the other people involved doesn't agree with the other person (if that makes sense) just please spend time working through any issues that arise and don't let them fester inside your mind....voice your opinions with your counsellor/psych/therapist/gp

hope that helps and i wish you well with your counselling

christine

"Now that we have meditated, what would you like to do now?"

Gosh, my mind really wanders with that........... Keep the door open please

"You realize I'm nagging"

Gosh, I hear it all the time at home. I don't need another

years ago 20+ while leaving my pdoc office I picked up a small statue on a table and threw it at him while exiting. Missed him by centimeters. Needless to say I was taken away. LOL

Lol Wisdom. Not so wise to throw things aft all. I was wondering what they actually DO if you kick off. I notice some of them have alarm buttons on the floor.

Going back to Christine's points. The reason for this thread is the fact that when I first asked to be referred for therapy I truly believed that they knew stuff I didn't know about, that SOMEONE, somewhere could help me out with my problems. I had faith and belief and I just assumed there would be someone and that I would come to trust them. My experience with NHS psychotherapists, counsellors, etc, has blown that belief away. I have been treated with total disrespect, rudeness, been called a liar to my face (about things I wasn't lying about), been challenged, provoked and constantly disputed over the facts of my childhood. Maybe most clients are liars and need that pointing out to them, I don't know. I have had to stop trying to rationalise the way I've been treated because I get too obsessed but the fact is it has been hurtful and demeaning and harmful. None of it has been therapeutic. I have walked out on at least 5 counsellors / therapists, not because of any other reason than I literally couldn't communicate with them on any level. I always try to discuss the problems with them before I leave but most of them will not allow that discussion to take place, at which point I decide the relationship is futile and leave.

I think there are good counsellors and therapists because I see them on TV and I hear they work in private clinics all over the world, but trust me, they are not working for the NHS. The people I have had to endure have been abusive and have left me in a far worse state. Making light of it, joking about it, is my way of getting over it. If you want to then blame me for not being able to find a good therapist, then that is not taking into account how literally crap and failing a lot of them are. I did have one good one, and she left because she was pregnant. So they do exist but damn if I'm sticking around with the crap ones, just waiting to see if its going to get better at the detriment of my own mental health.

Archived