Mental Health Forums

Wierd Things Shrinks Say!

realscape

If I had any positive experiences of therapy I'd be delighted to share them. I simply don't. (I, ME, PERSONALLY, etc, etc.)

As I've already said, based on the Americans I know, therapy seemed to work for them. Either they have therapy perfected or the ability to find it useful perfected.

The people I know back here in the UK don't seem to get the same benefits or achieve the same degree of assistance from therapy as they do on the other side of the Atlantic.

I am glad I had this wee space to vent about my experiences of therapy, and when you have your wee positive aspects of therapy thread, I promise not to go there and try to make it sound like having the opinion that it helps you means you can't see both sides.

I am a great believer in 'to each their own' and 'if it works for you, it works'.

Karma.

x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once a doc at the hosp told me to grow my hair and get a boyfriend and i would be fine i was so gobsmacked i couldnt even tell him i was gay

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've had that as well. It'll all be OK when you settle down with a guy. Bollox

Also, I agree AngelKarma - although i don't desire to be all negative and I would like room to leave for people to report positive feedback, however, so far most responses have been the same as ours. Also, my friends have no positive reports either. The only good reports I've heard are from people who have been in drug rehab (expensive, private, drug rehab by the way). Its very disheartening. There has to be room for discussion. People want to blame us for getting our therapy wrong but how about we have had bad experiences, repeatedly, which has left us no-where to turn.

well the thing is, i'm secretly a therapy basher myself. most of the ones ih ave had have been useless because my supreme intellect and superiority have made it hard for them to argue points and have me believe them

no hold on, that's a lie. the problem with most of my t's was that they never had a point to make, and i so wanted to be challenged

that other stuff about superiority was just becuase i'm feeling super sharp today

rofl

anyway. a positive thread. yes, why not!!!!!! someone else start it please i'm running out of time on this thing!!!!

take care all

x

Sat in the doctors office in Eastbourne police station, wearing a blue paper suit and a pair of black plimsolls, you know the type you had to wear in primary school!

Psychiatrist: Are they you're own clothes you're wearing?

I looks at the social workers, who also looks at me in puzzlement.

Me: Yes, i often wear this.

OH My God!!

All I can say is, if I didn't laugh about this stuff I really do think I'd cry.

Just, that has to be one of the most ridiculous I've heard yet with the 'grow your hair and get a boyfriend' comment on a par.

My first one told me 'It must be very difficult being your husband' right after I told him my husband was abusive. Funny thing was, at that time, I agreed.

Jesus I can be thick!

They get paid for this, you all get that right? You know they get paid for that shite?? :D

Karma.

x

Sat in the doctors office in Eastbourne police station, wearing a blue paper suit and a pair of black plimsolls, you know the type you had to wear in primary school!

O my lord. I have often wondered what they do when you say 'yes, these are my own clothes'.

I've never heard voices and I truly have sympathy for those who do (my mum does) but I have often wondered what they say when you answer that question positively. I've been asked 'do you hear voices' so many times now that the next time, I'm gonna say 'do you mean the voices that are telling me to kill you?' just to see what they do next.

O my lord.  I have often wondered what they do when you say 'yes, these are my own clothes'.

After i said that, the social worker quickly said to him that my clothes were taken off me when i arrived.

The social worker then asked me if my stuff was wet! She knew it hadn't been raining by her own admission, so how i could've got my stuff wet ON TOP of a cliff, i'll never know.

Been thinking this over again. I think maybe some therapists think it's their job to cure you. Their job, as far as I'm concerned, is to help you learn how to cure yourself.

They seem to try and fix or solve everything with their oh so superior minds and have forgotten that the illness they deal with is mental, as in of the mind, and can't really be fixed by anyone but the individual living in that mind.

Well maybe........I'm just bumping my gums, sorry.

Karma.

x

This is something kinda Wierd that happened to me with one therapist.

I was allocated an 'experienced' therapist by a low cost organisation in Central London. Obv, I'd never met her before. First session, I went in the large waiting room just off the street and the receptionist asked me to sign the visit book - name, counsellors name, reason for visit. OK so far. There was tons of books and leaflets floating around the reception so I started mooching around looking at them. Then the receptionist called me over and asked me to sign the visit book. I thought this was a bit wierd, I only signed it 2 minutes beforehand. I said to her a bit impatiently "I already signed it". At the same time, I noticed that the only other person sitting in the waiting area was intently staring at me from behind a book. There was only the two of us there. Something felt really odd, really wierd, but I didn't think too much of it. Then I sat down and started flicking through a magazine. Some time passed and the receptionist said "are you waiting to see Sarah?" and I said "yes". Then, this woman who had been spying on me from behind her book said "I'm Sarah". And I was thinking WTF? What is going on here, spying on people in the reception area from behind books. So, I said hello and was going to make some conversation and she said "we still have five minutes to wait yet". Like how dare you talk to me before our session. This organisation is based in a huge building that has a staff room and everything. So why the hell was she sitting in the waiting room spying on me. It made me totally paranoid. Anyway, we had our first session which didn't go too well, she was clearly young and inexperienced so I felt lied to by the practice co-ordinator who allocate me to her.

The second session, I went into the reception, same receptionist, and the visit book wasn't there. I said

'do I need to sign the visit book'? And she says "only if you want to" or some kind of smart remark a little bit sarcastic to me. So I asked her for it and signed it anyway. And then I looked round and guess what, there is Sarah spying on me from behind a book again. Anyway, I decided this woman is making me paranoid, so when we went into session, I asked her why do you sitting in the waiting room when you have a staff room? She went all embarassed and spluttery and made all wierd rambling excuses all kind of layered on top of each other. She was clearly thrown that I had been upfront enough to ask her and she didn't have an answer. I could tell she was mortified that I'd asked her, she could barely say proper words. Anyway, after that I said to her that there seems to be something wrong between us and something feels dishonest and I don't want to come and see you anymore. She said she was sorry that everyone could not be as honest as me and that she didn't think I should terminate the sessions as "anything could happen". Have NO IDEA what all of this was about but glad I never went back. Strange though. :wacko: :(

Hmmnnnnnnn, experimental psychotherapy? Even the term seems dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if a patient had attacked her by now. Like you said, she was young and inexperienced, she will learn, I hope.

Another coupla sessions she'd have had you pretend you were a tree blowing in the wind no doubt! :unsure:

Karma.

x

LOL Karma

You know what, its really got me down all these wierd experiences. You just can't explain it to people cos they think you're mad or paranoid or lying. Like someone said previously on this thread, the best thing about therapists is realising there's people even madder than yourself out there.

Anyway, I have had to stop trying to figure it all out for the sake of my sanity and let it just be....

:sofa:

'do you know the amount of stress people like you put on staff?'

I think that is a fair comment especially in the context it was set in

I have no doubt that i may have caused my cpn stress, certainly someone i know as she frequently rings her from a bridge saying she wants to die

Stressful, yes they do get paid but there must be easier cilents. But in turn they need training and support to be able to provide effetive support themselfs

Lucy

Psychiatrist: Are they you're own clothes you're wearing?

I looks at the social workers, who also looks at me in puzzlement.

Me: Yes, i often wear this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol::lol::lol:

Thats so funny

they are the best answers you can give

That reminds me.

Last time i was in hospital, the doctor looked on my meds card and says "I see you're on Chlorpromazine. Why?"

I looked at him and said "You put me on it last time i was fucking in here!"

"Did i?"

TO which my CPN turned round and said that he did indeed put me on them. I just don't have any luck with doctors do i?

Archived