Mental Health Forums

My Advetures In China!

Alexa

China!!!!!!!!!!!

1st Day; September 21st:Manchester Airport

Spent too long shopping in Duty Free oops teachers not happy~ great start!

September 22nd: Arrive in Beijing.

Airport; really clean and tidy. Journey to hotel about one hour. Hotel rooms are spacious and much nicer than I expected. Beds are rock solid.

1st Chinese meal~ really really yummy!!! The 1st thing I ate was pickled cabbage and it was foul but I enjoyed the rest of the meal. Have now been awake for 26 hours.

Visit to Temple of heaven. Lucy fell over twice. Seemed like a kewl place but felt quite ignorant because was too tired to take in any of what the tour guide was saying. Then we walked through what I would class as a park was really pretty. There were people doing Tai Chee (sp), which was kewl. Then we sat in a temple kind o thing and sang (purely to keep us awake) the tour guides seemed impressed with our performance! Then for more food, which was also, really enjoyable but now I know not to eat soooo much at lunch!!!

Finally got to go back to hotel and sleep after 38 hours of being awake!

September 23rd: 1st full day in Beijing.

Had a great nights sleep! The beds are surprisingly comfortable. Breakfast consisted of noodles, fried rice etc I stuck to the fruit!

Left hotel to visit Forbidden City, which was beautiful lots of people here, both Chinese and Western. Lunch was nice again.

After Lunch; Visited Tianemen square (sp) WOW. I mean like really~ WOW! This is the largest square in the world~ it took us 2 hours to walk all the way around it (I think) and reporters were taking our photographs! It’s a bit weird that everywhere we go we get stared at. Hmmm. Then we went to a restaurant for yet another Chinese banquet. Food appears to be getting better! After tea we went and saw a Chinese acrobatics performance, which really was breathtaking, but unfortunately photographs of this didn’t turn out. Then back to hotel for another nights sleep.

September 24th. 2nd full day in Beijing.

Great wall!!!!!! 3 others and me climbed right to the top! Had to literally drag Alex up though! Was extremely tiring but was well worth it as the views were awesome. It is the longest wall in the world at 1400 miles long (no we didn’t walk ALL of it!)

China appears to have the biggest/longest/most beautiful etc of everything!!!

After lunch Visited Summer Palace (largest palace in the world) which again was beautiful. The only thing that I SLIGHTLY dislike about Beijing is that the street vendors don’t leave you alone but still…it’s a truly wonderful place! ROLEX ROLEX 2 FOR ONE DOLLAR!!! Tee hee

September 25th. Leave Beijing. Internal flight to Huang Shan.

Pretty uneventful except for getting searched (as usual) at the airport + because had train whistle in my bag (which looks extremely dodgy) bag also got searched great!

Ate meal in restaurant, which I didn’t enjoy very much but John (tour guide) did phone ahead and told them how to make chips especially for us! Yay! Oh Yeah and Lucy left her passport on the plane despite me asking her numerous times “ have you got your passport†lol. Hotel room nice; now sharing with Lucy. Woke Mr Hughes (head teacher) up in the middle of night when Lucy and me ran into the corridor screaming because there was a massive bug of some sort in our room but it was HUGE!!!!!! He did come and kill it for us though and I think he found it quite amusing seeing me like that!

September 26th. Climbing Yellow Mountain & 1st Concert.

Had to get up REALLY early!!! Ate as much as I could at breakfast (not a lot as was far too early for moi!) A few of our party got the cable car to the top and as I was sooooo tired I was tempted to do the same but then I realised I’m probably not gonna get the chance to go back (although I think it would be a great lace for a honeymoon!) so I thought I’d climb. And I am soooo happy I did!!!! The views were breathtaking…I’d have been gutted if I hadn’t climbed. About 7 of us left the rest of the group and climbed to the highest peak (was feeling a bit more awake by this point!) and this was extremely steep so very tiring but once again the views were astounding so I am really really glad I did it!!!! Yellow Mountain is labelled as “the most beautiful mountain in China†and I can truly believe it!

Didn’t enjoy lunch even though there were more chips!

Then there was the coach journey to Tongling, which took around three hours, and I have never been on a more uneven road in my life!!! There were people and their belongings flying around everywhere, then the most amusing moment of the journey; Peter Thirsk (our accompanist) after about an hour of this road says “it’s a bit uneven isn’t it†well I found it funny anyway!

When we arrived in Tongling, which is twinned with the town that I live in (Widnes) we were greeted by teachers and some students from Tongling No1 high school and they gave us really nice bunches of flowers and made us feel very welcome!

Am now sharing a room with Katie so room a complete and utter tip! Had to go down for meal in our concert t-shirts (which aren’t particularly flattering!). Although it was clear our hosts had mage huge efforts for us I didn’t (and I don’t think anybody else did) enjoy the food one bit.

Then we had our 1st concert in a big concert hall; we sang Tong Ye Show Ger and Old Lang Syne, which the crowd loved!!! Then back to the hotel to “sleepâ€

September 27th. Tour around Tongling no1 high school

The skewl is more like a university compared to British schools anyway. I can’t find fault with it; it has an athletics track and a full size stadium!!! I would go there any day! We had a music and art lessons while we were there. In the music lesson we performed for the Chinese kids and their teachers and thy performed for us; I think I can safely say that both parties were amazed!!!

Then the art lessons were we learnt how to do Chinese calligraphy and I was pleasantly surprised because I was actually quite good at it!

Then the concert this was the biggie the one we learnt 12 brand new songs for, the one that we wore our proper concert dress for (yes that’s right tights in 40 degrees) and the 1st song we sang they paid some attention the mikes weren’t working properly though so that does give them a small excuse and I know that it is “the Chinese way†to talk through performances but they were talking so loudly we had to cut our program and only ended up singing 5 songs AND the only ones they paid full attention to were Tong Ye Show Ger and Auld bloody Lang Syne!!! (We learnt it in 5 minutes and that’s al they want to hear!!) To give them some credit though I don’t think I could sit through 30 minutes of Chinese songs.

Then the rehearsal for the Bronze Festival. We waited for 2 and half hours and were on for 2 minutes grrrrr. But I did enjoy performing. We’re only singing one song and yup you guessed it: Auld bloody Lang Syne. Still not many 15 nearly 16 year olds can say they’ve sung live on Chinese TV in front of 60 million peeps!

September 28th. Tour around Widnes, I mean Tongling and performance at Bronze Festival.

Tongling is a Chemical town (like Widnes) has eight Chimney things (also like Widnes) and had a suspension bridge, which looks remarkably like the Runcorn- Widnes Bridge, though this one was across the Jansi (sp) not the Mersey!!!

Then we walked through a Shanty Town which I didn’t like one bit; the houses were falling down, it smelt and there was this weird man following us pretending to shoot us and although we were assured he wouldn’t harm us, I didn’t feel safe. Still, I am glad we are experiencing all aspects of China as opposed to just the touristy places.

Then it was the big performance…the one we had all been waiting for! In front o 30,000 people who were there and a further 60 million on TV!!! We were really nervous (as you can probably imagine!). There were Chinese superstars there from Hong Kong (I personally had never heard of them but they were apparently famous!). A lot of the performances had fireworks in them and I wasn’t too impressed when one landed on me and burnt a hole in mine and one of my friends t-shirts!!! Then we had to go on stage and sing with them on! And I fell up the stage lol but we did give a great performance (even if I do say so myself!) and we were well received by the Chinese crowd…thank God!!!

September 29th. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME!!! Another bloody mountain.

This time the “Most Holy Mountain in China†I was so tired (from partying the night before) I was tempted to take the cable car up but decided against it as I know I’m probably never going to get another chance to climb it! There were lots of Buddhists and Monks, which was new to me. The views once again were beautiful, though nowhere near as nice as Yellow Mountain!

Then Our farewell party from Tongling which everybody (namely me) got dressed up for but were quite disappointed to find we were in and out in 20 mins. But oh well.

But when we got back to the hotel the teachers sorted our some English music for my birthday and we were in the karaoke bar all night! (Good job we don’t have any more concerts!) It was a really great night, probably my best Birthday yet! :D :D :D

September 30th. Bye bye Tongling…Hello Shanghai!!!

Had a kind of brunch in a posh restaurant which was better than the other meals we have received in Tongling but still not nice!

Then the train station. OMG. The only way to get on was to push…so we did! I did get kind of freaked out when Chinese men kept taking out suitcases off us (I later found out they were helping us but how were we to know?!?!?)

Spent the 1st 4 hours playing Cards with Mr Whittingham and laughing at the looks he was giving me every time I won him! Then fell asleep for the remaining 2 and half hours. When I was woken up, we were in Shanghai!!! So many tall buildings!!!

Then went for a meal in a restaurant, which was made entirely of bamboo. The food is sooooo much nicer here than in Tongling!!! Then after we had eaten the people who worked there performed a traditional Chinese dance for us…then we joined in! We must have looked really stupid but we didn’t care because we were having such a great time!

The hotel rooms are really nice here. Need some sleep!!!!!!

October 1st. Visit to Jade Buddha temple and Shanghai museum.

I didn’t realise there were so many temples in the world!!! And without meaning to sound disrespectful I find them quite boring seen as they all look exactly the same! But they were quite pretty! Then we went and sampled different types of tea which all had different uses (for energy etc) I enjoyed this and bought lots of tea!

Then after a nice lunch we visited Shanghai Museum were I spent the majority o my time in the Calligraphy section (bought a calligraphy set!) because I like looking at all the characters even though I don’t have a clue what any of them mean!

Then back to hotel. I think people are ready to go home now as I think people are begging to get fed up with each other; not me though I’d stay here forever if I could!

Tea was interesting. We went to a Mongolian style BBQ that was really tasty. You put the raw meat in a bowl then took it to be fried and the chef did all kinds of mad things throwing it around in the air! Alex is slightly pissed off with me because when she gave her food in to be cooked I walked past and smiled at the chef who consequently smeared half of her food up the walls! It was interesting that despite knives and forks being laid on our tables, most people asked for chopsticks! Spoke to a friend on the phone :lol:

Looking forward to shopping tomorrow!!!

October 2nd. Last day *cries*

Woke up at 8:00am (late compared to rest o holiday!) t see our last sites in China. We went to a riverside, which was really pretty and have got some good photos with lots of interesting buildings in background! Then we visited the Huyuan (sp) gardens, which were also pretty. Then down to the serious business…SHOPPING!!!

We went to the Bhund (largest shopping street in China) and there were literally millions of people and shops there!!! I spent a lot of money but didn’t pay full price for anything! And got some kewl gifts for family and friends. Then back to the hotel were we had to say our goodbyes to John (tour guide) who did above and way beyond what he had to do for us!!! And he was really nice and can now speak scouse thanx to a half hour lesson by me! Lol. Then we went for our last meal in China *cries again*

Although the meal was thoroughly enjoyed, it was much to my disappointment very western (sweat and sour EVERYTHING!) but as I said, it was enjoyed. Then we had a few hours to kill so we went to a department store and me and a couple of other people sat with the teachers and drank coffee and ate cake, which was…a laugh lol.

Then to the airport were I spent the remains of my money in Duty Free :D

Then onto the plane, which is Very comfortable with screens in the backs of seats that you can play, games on! But I was asleep most of the way tee hee.

October 3rd. nearly home! Nooooooooo!

Landing in Manchester Mr Whittingham said, “look there’s the city of Manchester stadium†which made me laugh because twelve days ago I remember him saying “look there’s the great wall of China!†oh well!

Was met at airport by my Granddad who did look pleased to see me lol.

I am gutted to be home but I did thoroughly enjoy every moment of my trip to the Far East and have memories of wonderful sites that I will treasure forever, but as the old saying goes…you can’t have too much of a good thing!!! :wub::wub: :wub:

Read the WHOLE THING!! You did a great job - my mouth watered at the food! I'm so glad you had a good time. We missed you! It has cheered me to hear from you. I needed that.

Welcome back!!

It sounds great!! I read it all and its fantastic sounds like u had a great time!!

Take care and thanks for sharing that with us.

Tory

I relish reading every bit punky!!!!!!!!!

Y DID u shop so long at Manchester????? geeeeeeeeeeeee Hehehehehhe

The Temple of Heaven is an extremely signicant place in CHinese history actually, where the Emperor prays to the Gods for peace etc. Darn the pics i hv r too massive or I could attached some here (me been there as well! :) )

LOL at the darn bug Alex!!!!!!!!!! Must b special welcome of sorts! :lol:

Err....cant imagine u liking the food though...i didnt enjoy it, was fish, fish n more fish (riverine fishes!) for me when i was there! n loads of vegs...think SIngapore has conditioned my tastebuds to much! hehehehhe. Oh, the Tonglin food! heheh...

u did well not to hv got the street vendors got u.....as spoken, they make a killing on u folks!

LOL at that Bloody Auld Lang Sai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and yeah, tell me about those temples!!!!! i dont go any more temples of any sort anymore! hehhehe

Its truly great that u enjoyed yaself so much punky! Only a pity i didnt, couldnt ask u to stop by darn hot Singapore, I'll fatten u!!!!! but u jus got too many people in ya choir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehheheh. Thanks for the sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lookg forward to any possible pics..... :D :P

Punky,

i was right. i am totally jelous.... what did you bring me (hehehe). i knew you would sing great... see i was right again.

what i didnt know was what a vivid story teller you are! i almost feel like i was there!

we are glad they didnt let you stay.. we missed you. thanks for the vacation.

bets :wacko:

Thanx for reading everyone! I know it was probably quite tedius reading ALL that!!! :D

lol bets you are always right! :P

Budg will post some pics later today if i can work out how to do it! :huh:

love 2 yas all :wub:

I was compled to read your WHOLE JOURNEY and not only does it sound AMAZING i am Jelouse and awstruck by the amazing sites you described its sounds soooo good and makes me want to jump on a plane right now and just GO

Im sooo glad you had a good time, it sounds soooo excelent and a LIFE changing experience something you will never forget.

Well done for accomplishing so much in that time

Its awsome :wub:

Katy

Here is a picture of the group that went in the Forbidden City (hopefully :wacko: )

Punk I've had to edit picture it was too big, I think i have figured out a way to resize pictures which I'll write up and post how to do in forum issues for everyone :)

Em xx

Archived